Holster recommendations.

Holster recommendations.

This is a discussion on Holster recommendations. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I am a newb to conceal carry. I have a Glock 23C and am still awaiting to receive my permit. So for now ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four

Thread: Holster recommendations.

Holster recommendations.

Hello All,

I am a newb to conceal carry. I have a Glock 23C and am still awaiting to receive my permit. So for now I'm using a Don Hume IWB at 3:30-4:00 at home to get used to conceal carrying. So far I'm experiencing discomfort in my lower back probably due to the holster.
    I am not new to shooting by any means, I practice weekly, and I am very accurate if I do say so myself
    I am 6 foot 4 at 180 lbs.What holster (IWB) do you recommend for my weapon? The belt I use is very substantial.

Thank you for your time.

AMMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when I first started carrying, my back was a bit stiff for a couple of days. You are going to get all kinds of recommendations on here. Most of us have tried several holsters before settling on what fits us best.

I have a Concealment Solutions Black Mamba CE that I really like.

However, everyone is different, so what works for me may not work for you. BTW, just for size comparison, I'm 6'0", 185 lbs, and I carry at 3:00ish.

Black Mamba CE
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Don't know what kind of Don Hume you're using, but I'll give my advice for most likely to work "well enough" type holsters.

1. A "hybrid" of any make. Alien Gear, Crossbread, Comp-Tac, they all make them. They work well, aren't too bulky, and aren't too expensive.
    2. A Summer Special or clone. Galco's Summer Comfort is readily available online and they work well and hold the gun secure and are comfortable enough to have been around for a long time.
    3. Milt Sparks VM2, or a clone from any of the good custom leather makers. You'll have to wait for them to get to you on the list and to make the holster, but there's a reason there's a wait for them... they are comfortable, hide the gun well, and just plain work.
    Mdauben likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Your going to get a lot of recommendations on holsters.

I'm not sure how big or heavy the G23 is, I carry my G19 in a Hybrid of my own design. In fact I have Hybrids for all my carry guns. Carry in the 3:30 position.

I use Remoras around the house or if just running up to the store.

Foxx Holsters are very good. I have 2 of them, one an all Kydex called the Foxx Trapp, and another one called the Little Foxx which is smaller version of a Hybrid except it only has 1 clip. This is by far my favorite holster. I also have an Alien Gear holster that I like very much as well. Check out Foxx they have very well made holsters.

VIP Member
    I prefer pancake-style kydex holsters with leather belt loops worn at 3:00. The Glock holster was made by Midworld, and I made the one for the M&P.

PICT0037.JPGPICT0036.JPG
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Firearms holster is the best I've seen and not over-priced! Gabe ,I think, is a pleasure to work with you !

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjxj View Post
    Your going to get a lot of recommendations on holsters.

I'm not sure how big or heavy the G23 is, I carry my G19 in a Hybrid of my own design. In fact I have Hybrids for all my carry guns. Carry in the 3:30 position.

I use Remoras around the house or if just running up to the store.
    The 19 and 23 are the same size.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Welcome to forum and to carrying concealed.

Echo Four had several good points. And as several others mentioned it does take time to get used to carrying concealed. Try to change things a little and see if that helps. If that doesn't work see if you can borrow a different gun or holster to try.

And as a 2W1 I'm really glad to see you were able to spell AMMO.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    For that, the crossbreed supertuck is hard to beat or the Milt sparks

[QUOTE=USAFAMMO;3165364
    I am 6 foot 4 at 180 lbs.What holster (IWB) do you recommend for my weapon? The belt I use is very substantial.
    [/QUOTE]
    I could be your twin size wise. I've tried a couple, and so far my favorite EDC holster has been a White Hat Maxtuck. Carried an Sig P250 sub compact and full size, as well as a Beretta 92fs. Mine was a horsehide holster, sold it with the Sig. Wish I had it back. I'm currently trying an Alien Gear with the Beretta and it's not working out. I feel like the whole assembly is to rigid to form around the side of my waist. Been wearing it for a little more than 2 weeks and I'll give it another week before I make a final decision, but I see this one going bye bye. The White Hat formed to me and my gun in just a couple of days, supported my gun well, and was very easy to conceal. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

If you like leather holsters this place has got 'em all! High Noon Holsters, Gun Holsters and Concealment Holsters They've got some very nice holsters in 3 price levels, starting around $30 and going up from there. They also have the Red Nichols holsters line, so you have a bunch of choices price and design-wise.

Check 'em out, they've got some really nice products (I like mine a lot!) and a lot of information on holster design and use that may help you alleviate your back troubles, too. Good luck!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Think I'm going to try the Foxx Hybrid, it fits in my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Tommy Theis holster, extremely comfortable. I wear it all day and forget it is there.
    Theisholsters.com | Products | Custom IWB Holsters

Links