Getting a Lawyer Afterwards

This is a discussion on Getting a Lawyer Afterwards within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If this has been covered already, then I apologize, but if you are forced to defend yourself in SD with a firearm, in home, around ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 1 Post By LuvMyPX4
  • 1 Post By dhuffman
  • 2 Post By First Sgt
  • 2 Post By First Sgt
  • 1 Post By atctimmy

Thread: Getting a Lawyer Afterwards

If this has been covered already, then I apologize, but if you are forced to defend yourself in SD with a firearm, in home, around town, etc, what if you do not have a personnel lawyer? When LEO's show up and I give them my story, I would then like to have a lawyer present. Do I get assigned one, or do I have to find one? I live in NC. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FiremanKT View Post
    If this has been covered already, then I apologize, but if you are forced to defend yourself in SD with a firearm, in home, around town, etc, what if you do not have a personnel lawyer? When LEO's show up and I give them my story, I would then like to have a lawyer present. Do I get assigned one, or do I have to find one? I live in NC. Thanks in advance for the help.

One of the first things I did after I got my CHL was to talk to a criminal lawyer very familiar with gun law. His will be the second number I dial if I am ever involved in a lethal force confrontation.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    One of the first things I did after I got my CHL was to talk to a criminal lawyer very familiar with gun law. His will be the second number I dial if I am ever involved in a lethal force confrontation.
    I recommend this as well. You shouldn't have to pay a retainer.

We have an old family friend, who's also a judge who's known me for over 20 years. I'm in good hands.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.

(Not an advertising plug, just me talking) I am a member of USCCA and their SD insurance provides a plastic card.
    On the front it speaks to LEO requesting that they understand that due to the nature of an armed confrontation you will not be making statements blah blah blah..
    On the back are instructions for you and a place to enter the name of a lawyer and phone number.

I emailed some criminal defense lawyers I thought would fit my needs for such an incident and said what I was looking for and what I planned to do with their name/number.
    Once office called me back and was very informative and cordial. I have their name and toll free 24hr number on the card. So God forbid that situation were to happen I would just hand the card to LEO and keep my mouth shut.

I also have their information in my cellphone.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I recommend this as well. You shouldn't have to pay a retainer.

We have an old family friend, who's also a judge who's known me for over 20 years. I'm in good hands.
    If he is close enough, can I have a judge for a friend?
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: ďDonít be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.Ē

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You can get a public defender if you qualify--meaning little money and few assets. It's not automatic. The preferred representation is a hired attorney, and the phone book is stuffed with them. If you prefer to seek out a "gun-friendly" criminal lawyer in advance, that's good idea, but I, personally, would not have one on retainer. That's like taking out insurance against being struck by lightning--it could happen, but not likely.

Ultimately, it's your call.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Even if you refuse to hire a private attorney... one will be appointed for you. My experience is that there are very few really good criminal attorneys outside the legal aid society or local equivalant. The best criminal defense lawyer I ever knew was a guy named Mel Sachs. (RIP) The man was a genious. There are defense lawyers, and then there are defense lawyers... The ones with the most court room hours are the true believers in the court appointed system. Or the very, very expensive system.

I'm lucky in that my CCW teacher is also a lawyer and a friend.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.

TVJ
    Here are two links for you. I have done both.

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.

MAG-20 / Classroom - Armed Citizen's Rules of Engagement | Massad Ayoob Group

I strongly urge you do both. This will begin to actually prepare you.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

I hope that I will never have to make that call, drawing my gun will be the EXTREME last resort, I will run from a situation if I see it coming ?

Others have pretty much covered your Lawyer question...Have a name (Lawyer) and phone number in your wallet, ahead of the time you will ever need them..

NOW, I'd like to say something about your remark, and I quote: "when LEOs show up and I give them my story"...UNQUOTE....For goodness sakes, DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR STORY...PERIOD....Do NOT talk to anyone without your lawyer being present. WATCH THESE TWO VIDEOS PLEASE!!!

There is a second video, "Part two", which you can link after watching the first video..
    LuvMyPX4 and ANGLICO like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Here's the 2nd video...Part 2...

LuvMyPX4 and ANGLICO like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Thanks for all of the replies. I will continue to look into some of the agencies you all have recommended. Thanks again!

VIP Member
    Thanks for all of the replies. I will continue to look into some of the agencies you all have recommended. Thanks again!

Do yourself a favor and watch those two videos...right now.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    I came in late with this. I'm a member of Texas law Shield and also enrolled in US law shield (not a paid spokesman). I pay my dues every month and if I ever have to defend myself I call the hotline and a defense lawyer that's well versed in gun laws comes to my aid. US law shield is for the states that aren't Texas. Same organization. I pay the dues and the lawyers are paid by Tx Law shield. It's really good. And they don't pester you with stuff.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Sponsored Links