To light, or not to light, that is my question.

This is a discussion on To light, or not to light, that is my question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am shopping for a good hand held flashlight to keep on my nightstand so I have light if a BG tries to break in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: To light, or not to light, that is my question.

To light, or not to light, that is my question.

I am shopping for a good hand held flashlight to keep on my nightstand so I have light if a BG tries to break in at night.

I was looking at around a 300 - 400 Lumen light, but then I am wondering if it is worth the money.

I know it gives me a tactical advantage. I know turning on the house lights makes everyone in my house vulnerable.

But am I over thinking this?

And does anyone carry a light when they go out a night?

I can see me now with a belt that has more gadgets than batman. Gun, spare magazine, knife, cell phone, flash light, and kryptonite just in case.

How far do you go to protect?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

2. Remove Ads

I have several 300 to 500 Lumen flashlights placed around the house and in the vehicles. There is one on my wife's nightstand and one on my nightstand. I do not carry one.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Picked up an 800 lumens tactical flashlight at the Harrisburg Sportsmans show. Aluminum housing, 4 brigthness settings and stobe.
    I have a Bulldog OWB holster hidden in the bedroom... at night my Beretta is in the holster and the light is in the attached extra mag pouch.
    If I get up in the dark and reach for the pistol, the flashlight is coming with as well.

Just going out for any reason at night I have my baseball cap with bill lighting and weapon.. not so much for 2 legged varmint but the 4 legged kind as I live up in them thar hills.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Distinguished Member
    Lots of good lights out there. Decide how much you want to spend and look at lights from Fenix, Streamlight, Surefire, TerraLux and others. I like Fenix, and I carry one. I also have several more in vehicles and around the house. The LED lights get better all the time. The new Fenix PD 35 is really amazing.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I have this on my Glock-21 http://www.surefire.com/illumination...aponlight.html, and this on my night stand http://www.surefire.com/illumination...-defender.html...I also have a couple of other SureFires, too.

At night, besides 260 pounds of two dogs, I have 7 watt green night lights in various rooms, and I can see clearly without a flashlight. The burst of 500 lumens WILL blind an intruder and all the dirtbag will see is another very bright flash with a loud sound..
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Not only do I carry one when I go out at night, I carry one every waking moment of the day. It is absolutely amazing how often that light comes in handy - and that is just in normal day-to-day routine.

Get one with variable output and it will be your best friend short of a dog.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I got a TLR-4 light/laser that attaches to gun rail (m&p 9C). I like the attached light for ease of use for those times you may not have time to fumble for a separate light, its right there for you to either toggle momentarily on either side of the gun, or switch it on for continuous. Works awesome. easy on easy off. $100. I also have a separate light on nightstand as well. Why not do both?

I have a compact sep flashlight with me when carrying out at night as weapon lights are not compatible with many holsters.
    Hodad likes this.

VIP Member
    I have a SureFire I keep on me all the time, and on the bedstand at night.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    For me, having the ability to turn on selected lights from bed would be a great option. Back lighting the entry into the bedroom to allow you to silhouette the BG? Having a spotlight you could turn on -at- the bedroom entry by clapping your hands? Cool.

As to flashlights, IMO, having about 5-6 of the same type in various places is better than one which is easy to lose. I have one in each car, one on the bed, one on my pants, one in my coat pocket. They're all small and light >200 lumens, 4", butt cap switch.

First let me say that 300-400 lums inside a dark house is a WHOLE lot of light. If I were casting a beam down the road, into the sky or across the water... yeah 300-400 might do the trick but indoors as a task light or indoors SD light [in total darkness]... nope.

Each man must make is own educated decision and I wont fault anyone for what they decide but I decided long ago that 150 lumen LED or less is plenty for [my] indoor use. It gives me plenty of light and a substantial runtime. Even though I have a 85/150 lumen light, I find myself using a 50 lumen energizer romeo more often than not- for indoor tasking or walking down my rural driveway with the trashcan.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

You know they make crash vest for home invesion right ? No need for a belt this is a thrown on kevlar vest that holds a gun/mag/light/phone .... Just saying

And yeah I like feinx lights I have one that takes double a batteries and is bright as heck...

I have also seen these keltec ones that they claim are made to hold easier wither your non gun hand... Not sure on that
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    I carry a Nebo Redline flashlight, for both work and defensive. Bezeled, 220 lumin on high, 110 on medium and 22 on low. It also has a SOS sitting (could do without that) and strobe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Just my wife and I so no need to ID a bump in the night, particularly if it involves some amount of forced entry. I do not live in a cave and pure blackness is not an issue--maybe to some but not in my home--there is always some light as low as it may be; I know my house and I surely know my bedroom and where everything is and is not. Ambient light is always around in some fashion that adds to my knowledge of my surroundings. The door to my bedroom is locked and secured via a large stopper every night. In a house invasion or burglary situation I will not go out of my bedroom but will be fully prepared, per a series of already thought out movements on my part. I can see a flashlight for an electrical outage but I cannot see a flashlight that alerts whoever is in the rest of my house that "here we are". I know my house--he does not--that is one of my advantages and I intend to keep that advantage. Defeat my bedroom door and you will not defeat another bedroom door.
    Last edited by kelcarry; March 12th, 2014 at 06:52 PM.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

After all these good thoughts, another one (not saying mine is good, yet). If I have a high intensity light and temporarily blind the BG. Then I shoot him. When the LEO come, and find out I used a 800Lumen (Fenix PD 35) light on him and then shot, whould they think I could have disarmed him. That bright of a light (which I was also looking at) will destroy the BG's sight for quite a while.

Any additional thoughts? Or if he is in my home, and has a weapon, and it is pointed at me, I don't know his ability to see and therefore can't take the chance? Just thinking (me thinking is another thing that scares my wife).
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Just my wife and I so no need to ID a bump in the night, particularly if it involves some amount of forced entry. I do not live in a cave and pure blackness is not an issue--maybe to some but not in my home--there is always some light as low as it may be; I know my house and I surely know my bedroom and where everything is and is not. Ambient light is always around in some fashion that adds to my knowledge of my surroundings. The door to my bedroom is locked and secured via a large stopper every night. In a house invasion or burglary situation I will not go out of my bedroom but will be fully prepared, per a serious of already thought out movements on my part. I can see a flashlight for an electrical outage but I cannot see a flashlight that alerts whoever is in the rest of my house that "here we are". I know my house--he does not--that is one of my advantages and I intend to keep that advantage. Defeat my bedroom door and you will not defeat another bedroom door.
    if you were forced to defend yourself, are you going to shoot at shadows? I agree that we all pretty much have advantage knowing our homes well in the dark vs. a stranger, but I'll definitely identify any intruder with a spot light first. I like a light that has a momentary on switch option for brief flashes of light.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links