Carry while on the job.

This is a discussion on Carry while on the job. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for a company where firearms are not allowed. I drive a delivery truck and am on the the road doing local deliveries, a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Carry while on the job.

Carry while on the job.

I work for a company where firearms are not allowed. I drive a delivery truck and am on the the road doing local deliveries, a few times a month I have to go into some very dangerous neighborhoods in Detroit. When my permit comes I am considering carrying while I work. Just want some opinions from everyone.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    If you can find a job easily in your area if you're caught then it's up to you. If that's not the case I wouldn't risk it. I can't carry at work either. But I don't want to disobey my employer and possibly ruin another job opportunity to further my career in it's beginning stages.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

VIP Member
    If caught you can count on loosing your job. You may also find getting another job very difficult. If a prospective employer checks, he may not be told you were terminated for carrying a gun, but will almost surely will be told you were released for violating company policy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Abide by the rules or find a different job. If you violate company rules, be prepared to be fired immediately.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

My Primary job I'm OK to carry. My second job delivering pizzas it's a no-no. I carry anyway. If I lose my second job, it's not a big deal. If my primary employer wasn't OK with it, I would probably still do it, just in a different manner. Our work uniforms are cargo style pants so I've got lots of options. Keeping your job to provide for your family is just as important as being able to defend them or yourself IMO. Only you can decide.

Ask your boss if you can get a written exception. You never know, they might be really pro gun and you just don't know it.
    GWarden and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    MY first piece of advice is not to share things like this on an internet forum where what you say lives forever. There have been many discussions on the forum regarding company policies and carrying. Search for those and you'll get lots of advice and conflicting opinions. You have to decide whether your job or personal safety is more important. Whatever you decide, should be a personal decision and not shared with anyone else.
    Mainlyconcealed and KBSR like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

If carry is against company policy and you do anyway, your employers insurance carrier most certainly wont cover you as you were acting in bad faith. Are you prepared to handle the financial liability that may be incurred ? Your life your decision.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

If your employer permits you to carry on the job and you are involved in a righteous shooting, the perp, or his survivors, will sue your employer.

If you're shot while on the job because you had no way to defend yourself, your employer wil tell your survivors: "Tough luck - he accepted the provisions of his employment!"

And that's why most employers have a no weapons policy.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

BenGoodLuck gave you some really sage advice. Please listen to him, for your own good. Personally I wouldn't work, drive, or anything in Detroit without my EDC. But I'm retired, and thus I don't allow anyone else to dictate such things to me. Jobs can be replaced. But ultimately it's a decision you have to make, and for every decision there are consequences. Be safe.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Up to you. I dont disarm. But that is just me. Company policy is not law and I decide how much risk I take with my own life. No paycheck buys anybody else the right to do that.

Of course they always got that up front when I took the offered job. Never had but one make an issue of it even if the precious policy said otherwise. And that one gave in though he didnt like it much.

All that said the fields I worked in all my life I could quit one employer and be working for another within a week or sometimes the same day doing the same thing for the same money. So it was not that big an issue personally.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

If your firearm is against company rules, what about pepper spray or a tazer? It might be enough to get away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

My boss likes us to carry .

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

I'm in a similar position. I do insurance fraud investigation for a living and often find myself in dangerous neighborhoods interviewing less than upstanding people. My employer doesn't allow weapons on the job and I abide by that, though I'm often not very happy about it.

At the end of the day, you have to asses the risk factor for yourself -- i.e., the probability of getting fired for carrying vs. the probably of getting hurt of killed on the job -- and then make a decision.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Just My $0.02 but...
    Why is it that it seems when threads like these pop up, it's always someone who is new to the forum and it's (almost) always their first or second post?

Kinda feels to me like an anti in "sheep-dog" clothing trying to get people to say "it's ok to break the rules", which would further the negative perception of gun-owners by those who may be on the fence

ie:"see, the guy with the gun is carrying against his works policy, why should we believe they'll follow other regulations/laws pertaining to carrying/owning guns"

*I'm not accusing the OP of anything, just saying
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links