Secret gun compartment in motorcycle air box

This is a discussion on Secret gun compartment in motorcycle air box within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need your thoughts and ideas please. I am currently working on a bolt on product for the air box of a Harley Sportster that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Secret gun compartment in motorcycle air box

I need your thoughts and ideas please. I am currently working on a bolt on product for the air box of a Harley Sportster that would hide your gun in the air box by your right knee. I will be 3D printing this and will need to finalize the design still but I wanted to get
    your thoughts on it before I went forward with marketing the product. The type of air box I am working to create it for first is this one
    http://www.ashonbikes.com/sites/defa..._Nightster.jpg

The product would extend the compartment out only 2 inches and would have hinges at the bottom to swing the cover out. Your gun would be readily accessible by unlatching the box at the top but the box will also be lockable so you can leave it in your air box if you needed to go somewhere it wasn’t allowed.

I haven’t figured out how the gun will fit yet but I have an idea its going to be like this
    http://rackems.com/media/GunRacks/6021_stackonSM.jpg
    or like this
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1...gun-b-font.jpg

The reason I thought of this idea was because on my motorcycle I don’t have bags or any compartments to put my gun in and in Florida it is illegal to carry the gun in a backpack to the gun range because this would be considered as carrying on my person which is illegal. It not only provides for a lockable area on the bike if you cannot bring a gun in somewhere but also a readily accessible option to easily reach down and pull the gun up if you needed to instead of reaching to your side or behind your back.

So please give me your thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

It's cheaper and easier to get your Fl ccw.

fltsfshr
    I collect all forms of disguised firearms. jewelry guns, wallet guns, and others. Most of my collection is pinfire from the 19th century. Have one and want to sell it, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by fltsfshr View Post

fltsfshr
    Understand that but what happens if you need to go into a government building and you have a small motorcycle like a Harley sportster that doesn't have the big bags on it?

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by surfinking21 View Post
    Understand that but what happens if you need to go into a government building and you have a small motorcycle like a Harley sportster that doesn't have the big bags on it?
    That is when you have two options.
    1. Do not carry a gun with you on the trip.
    2. Buy a car.
    Bad Bob and 1 old 0311 like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

There's also a reason the airbox on that bike is the size / shape it is. I don't really see putting a gun in there as a great idea.

-Rob
    WHEC724, Arborigine and Ghost1958 like this.

It is gonna get awful hot there. I would rather lock it under the seat, I can on my bike, but it is not a Harley.
    Bigsteve113 and 5lima30ret like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RivMan View Post
    There's also a reason the airbox on that bike is the size / shape it is. I don't really see putting a gun in there as a great idea.

-Rob
    'Concur. There's a careful balance between the airbox, jetting and exhaust. Adjust one without the other two, and bad things will happen. A Harley mechanic is far better qualified to comment on this than a gun forum.
    Arborigine and nedrgr21 like this.

What a bunch of naysayers! Jump in, you'll figure it out! We're AmeriCANS not AmeriCANT'S!
    sdgull and TomC51 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Gunvault in the saddlebag with the cable around the frame. Check your state laws about hidden compartments on vehicles. They tried to make them illegal for anything in CA, but I belive that was defeated and they can only charge for it (in CA) if it is used for smuggling drugs.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    It is gonna get awful hot there. I would rather lock it under the seat, I can on my bike, but it is not a Harley.
    A Vespa does not a motorcycle make...just sayin.

Arkansas also has a law regarding secret compartments. Not trying to discourage you it will get pretty hot in there along with all the trash that gets sucked in.
    WHEC724, Ghost1958 and Bad Bob like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by surfinking21 View Post
    he reason I thought of this idea was because on my motorcycle I don’t have bags or any compartments to put my gun in and in Florida it is illegal to carry the gun in a backpack to the gun range because this would be considered as carrying on my person which is illegal.
    Not true if you're not wearing the backpack. CC and OC requirements (790.06 & 790.053) do not apply in the matter you stated (Going to/from the range or transporting by private conveyance. See statute 790.25 (3) (j) &(l). As long as the firearm is not "on the person" and is concealed and securely encased (See 790.01 for definition), you are legal. You must have a license to have it concealed "on your person, not in the vehicle. The statute makes no exception for motorcycles, bicycles, etc. Basically, securely encased is any that has to be opened, whether locked or unlocked.

I would suggest you keep a copy of the stature in the gun case or whatever as some LEOs are not up to speed on this statute as one might think.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sorta' like Harley Thunderwear!
    tacman605 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    You would have to have some type of solid plate over the air filter and build your box on that plate. Harleys are about torque, torque needs air velocity, not air mass, any interference in the air flow causes turbulence slowing down air velocity. A custom, Harley, air filter housing is guaranteed to get stolen by those "One percenter" squids. They will steal parts from a bike, especially parts that appear out of the ordinary.

I have seen people build custom license plate boxes for the purpose of hiding their smaller sidearms. A box that fastens the frame rails should work much better and would look like some type of tool box and be more difficult to steal..
    tacman605 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    A Vespa does not a motorcycle make...just sayin.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fltsfshr View Post

fltsfshr

Amen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links