Concealed carry question

This is a discussion on Concealed carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So here is my dilemma, I am from North Carolina and currently am in Texas working. I have a NC drivers license and a NC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Concealed carry question

Concealed carry question

So here is my dilemma, I am from North Carolina and currently am in Texas working. I have a NC drivers license and a NC concealed carry permit. According to Texas law people with Class A or B misdemeanors within the last 5 years are ineligible to get a concealed handgun permit in the state of Texas. When I lived in NC I was convicted of some misdemeanors but dont remember what class. For arguments sake lets say they were class B, does this void my NC permit and right to carry or am I still legally allowed to carry?

My misdemeanors were non violent and non drug/firearms related. I was just being a stupid kid.

I just want to know if I can still carry or not.
    gatorbait51 and BenGoodLuck like this.

Internet legal advice is worth what you pay for it, but it seems to me if you legally have a NC license and Texas has reciprocity with NC then you are good to go. But I'd ask a lawyer and not me (and I know me).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Internet legal advice is worth what you pay for it, but it seems to mebif you legally have a NC license and Texas has reciprocity with NC then you are good to go. But I'd ask a lawyer and not me (and I know me).
    See, this is what I am thinking but god forbid I get in a situation where I have to defend myself while carrying and it turns out I am not supposed to be carrying. I have googled the crap out of this question and havent found a definite answer yet. I should probably go talk to the local sheriffs office down here and see what they say.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

my thinking is your right if you move there and wanted to get your TX CCP, but if you live in NC and NC has a reciprocity with TX ( they do ) you good.
    but another question comes up, some states if you live or work there for more than 30 days then are you not a resident ?
    makes you wonder and would be best to check with a lawyer to be sure. good luck.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    ineligible to get a concealed handgun permit in the state of Texas.
    Apparently your license is in good standing in NC; right?

A quick ph call to the TX state police firearms div might save you a lot of money.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Apparently your license is in good standing in NC; right?

A quick ph call to the TX state police firearms div might save you a lot of money.
    It is in good standing.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by America View Post
    See, this is what I am thinking but god forbid I get in a situation where I have to defend myself while carrying and it turns out I am not supposed to be carrying. I have googled the crap out of this question and havent found a definite answer yet. I should probably go talk to the local sheriffs office down here and see what they say.
    Why are you avoiding speaking with a Texas attorney on this important of a legal matter?

Pay for an hours time to get an answer to something that could put you in jail, taint your potential defensive gun use, and potentially eliminate your ability to ever carry again.

The Sherriffs office is worse than irrelevant. It has no legal backing and makes you feel confident.

You need written advice from an attorney that is admissible in court. Written. Attorney. Advice. stating the law/case study if necessary and his legal recommendation.

Otherwise its inadmissible heresay and you are hung out to dry like laundry.

Do the right thing.
    "No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right and keeps on a-comin."
    Texas Ranger Capt William Jessie McDonald

I was hoping someone here could give me a definite answer. But you're right, this is important enough to seek legal council.

Distinguished Member
    I was hoping someone here could give me a definite answer. But you're right, this is important enough to seek legal council.
    I think you found your answer. If one of us gave you a (what we say) is a correct answer. If a problem comes up, it might not sound too good in court "but your honor, LuvMyPX4 said it was ok"
    Recon1342 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Zechariah 10:5 They shall be like mighty men in battle, trampling the foe in the mud of the streets; they shall fight because the LORD is with them, and they shall put to shame those that seek evil.

NRA Lifetime Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

VIP Member
    Yep. Anything potentially criminal is important enough to seek legal counsel. In your case, TX counsel. Good luck!
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array USM1976's Avatar
    Not an attorney but a retired Texas police officer. Texas and North Carolina have reciprocity, therefore, I believe if you have been issued a license by the State of North Carolina, you have been deemed qualified in Texas.

On the outside chance a police officer stopped you for some reason and found you had a handgun...he would only be interested in the reciprocity issue and not your old criminal history.

VIP Member
    I'm going to go against the grain here. TX and NC has reciprocity, this means the AG offices from both states have reviewed the carry laws, including the requirements for issuing by both states. They have determined that the laws and requirements are similar enough that they are willing to honor the other states permit. Both AG offices have endorsed and agreed to it. You should be good to go.

Look at it from the aspect of a driving a car. TX requires a state vehicle inspection every year. IN does not require an inspection. TX is not going to issue a IN driver a ticket for no inspection sticker.

Personally I think you are trying to over thinking this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    From what I see NC does not rate a misdomeanor as a only a class A or C . Class 1,2 or 3 YES and then add a A or C to it A. All can have jail time , probation , CS fines and restriction and all do rate a criminal record so you may be notifed the your CHP is revoked. You should contact a lawyer in NC to see what up back there first.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.

Get some true legal advice. I have been surprised over the years at how many times what everybody (me included) "knows" about the law comes down to a dangerous illusion.
    WrongRecroom, TVJ and BenGoodLuck like this.

When states enter a reciprocity agreement they agree to all the requirements of each others issuing of a carry permit. If TX has entered an agreement with NC then they accept that NC will issue a permit with certain past legal issues and that means they will accept your permit with those on your record as long as NC doesn't care they won't.

You are still bound to follow the laws pertaining to carry in TX as long as your there but the issuance of a permit is based on the state where the permit is issued from, not the state you are carrying in.
    USM1976, BenGoodLuck and OldVet like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links