Are you "lawyered up"?

This is a discussion on Are you "lawyered up"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just curious to know how many permit holders have a lawyer on retainer? When I took my initial training class to get my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you "lawyered up"?

Are you "lawyered up"?

I am just curious to know how many permit holders have a lawyer on retainer? When I took my initial training class to get my CWL here in Oklahoma, it was strongly recommended that each person getting a permit and planning to carry on a regular basis, retain an attorney. I think that is solid advise, but I am curious if many of us actually do it. I have contacted an attorney, but don't have him on retainer yet. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

I think it wise to know one, and be sure he knows you, but to spend the money on a retainer should not be needed. Just carry his card with you and call it good.

Ditto...
    Instead, spend the retainer money on range time, continued tactical and self-defense classes/education, more range time, more range time, buy more 1911's , more range time

Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    I think it wise to know one, and be sure he knows you, but to spend the money on a retainer should not be needed. Just carry his card with you and call it good.

No money down, but my attorney is my friend and offered me his "24-hour number" to call in the event I ever needed him. I would encourage every person who carries to at the least know who you will call in time of need.

On at least four occasions I have contacted an attorney and gotten a free half-hour consultation at my request. It's how I "shopped" for the attorney I wanted for my business and personal needs. So, don't be afraid to call an attorney and ask for that as a way of selecting who you will do business with in the future.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Don't have one. Don't know one. Am smart enough to know I should, but not smart enough to get it done. It's on the future "to do" list.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

The only lawyers I know personally only do divorces, wills and bankruptcies.
    About the only local lawyer that handles criminal cases used to be the county attorney. When he was in office he plea bargained everything. If were to find out he was my court-appointed attorney I'd just go ahead and plead guilty.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

When I took my ccw class they handed out the card of the lawyer who went over the legal bits, and gave us all a reduction in fee if we should ever need to use her.. She's a nra certified instructor to go along with her lawyering thing.

VIP Member
    Hey Admins..........How about lawyer links?

This might be a good thing to have linked to on this site.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    We do have a "CCW Attorney Link" on the blue bar above...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I'm Lawyering up!

(I'll let you know when i graduate)

DC Founder
    I have committed no money to a retainer, but carry the card of an attorney that specializes in self defense cases in my wallet. I also have one in my home office desk where my wife can find it if I am "not there" to call....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I am lawyered up.

He is a friend of mine. While he is not an expert on the Second Amendment, he knows where to reach out for one if I really need it.

I have his cell number on my cell speed dial.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Hey Admins..........How about lawyer links?

This might be a good thing to have linked to on this site.
    There is a lawyer link. Look in the blue banner under "CCW Attorney Link." And, I agree no need for a lawyer on retainer, but everyone who carries a gun should have contacted an attorney experienced in CCW matters, and have that attorneys telephone number on their speed dial.

Ron

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    We do have a "CCW Attorney Link" on the blue bar above...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    There is a lawyer link. Look in the blue banner under "CCW Attorney Link." And, I agree no need for a lawyer on retainer, but everyone who carries a gun should have contacted an attorney experienced in CCW matters, and have that attorneys telephone number on their speed dial.

Ron
    ....OOPS, that would be the large link that says "CCW Attorney Link"...

pardon, I'm a moron or as Bugs Bunny says....'a maroon'.

.....boy, there are a lot of neat links up there...(note to self: look at the links before you insert foot in mouth or post)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Nobody on retainer. I have the number of a lawyer, who I actually contacted from the list on this forum.

He is a good 3 hours away, so I also have the number of a local attorney who told me to call him if I ever need local legal representation before the other attorney can make the drive.

I assume I will be writing some big checks if ever have to call either one of them for their professional services, but niether one asked for a retainer.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links