Almost real life simulation, is this possible?

This is a discussion on Almost real life simulation, is this possible? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I grew up with the Dirty Harry movies and remember a scene in Magnum Force where he walks through a simulation where good and bad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Almost real life simulation, is this possible?

Almost real life simulation, is this possible?

I grew up with the Dirty Harry movies and remember a scene in Magnum Force where he walks through a simulation where good and bad targets pop into and out of view and he is only supposed to shoot the bad.

I can't afford to build that simulation, nor would my subdivision approve it if I tried. But, I think it would be great to have a simulation of bad guys in your home where they are projected on the wall and you fire a laser or some other gizmo and you can see how you would fare in a real life home break in.

Does anything like this exist? Is it feasible? and would it be beneficial in training?

Or do I need to design it, patent it and make my millions on it?

Or maybe it would be cheaper to get an acre of land and build my out of would and stuff. The engineering and design side of it would be a breeze, the cost is another matter.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

2. Remove Ads

Play Call of duty on the Wii with team kill on...
    Jolaroux, LuvMyPX4 and Bad Bob like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    Not sure how difficult this would be to build, but I just finished writing my first patent application and I can tell you first hand that it is an exceedingly tedious and unpleasant experience...
    LuvMyPX4, molleur and NONAME762 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    There are systems similar to what you are looking for. Most of the ones I am familiar with are designed for law enforcement academies. The FATS system started it all. There was a home game in the 1980s that took off and morphed into an arena event, it was called Laser Tag. You may want to consider something very simple, a home made slide presentation. You could go around taking pictures of family members and others (with their permission) and use a timer on the slide projector. The gun you use must be absolutely safe for indoor use so a dart gun or something similar would work. The combat training systems I am aware of cost in excess of $10,000 each so it would not be likely for a home installation. Fortunately there are some private shooting training academies that have the same type of equipment as law enforcement academies. They charge far less for their classes. Another idea is to attend an IDPA competition. They tend to mimic scenes that would be similar to attacks that may occur in real life.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Cool

As Harryball so eloquently said and in so few words try the same thing in BF3 back in when BF3 was first released in October 2011 when BF3 just had 6 maps. Try the Metro Map with 1,000 or 2,000 tickets. When I started playing the Metro I HATED IT. After awhile there were times I LOVED IT!!!!! I've NEVER had a WiFi game. I'm too old for that bravo sierra. Yup Try Metro for 2 to 4 hours with good players. Be advised in Metro there's 40mm grenades C4 frags Claymores smoke and 30cal Warsaw Pact GP belt fed Machineguns coming at you so you'll be steppin' and fetchin' I kid you knot!!!

In the later version of BF3 there's a map where a 50 or 100 story Skyscraper topples over in the midst of the battle. They got everything under the Sun coming for you. When the skyscraper starts to go I spose you can go out Beach Boys Style surfin' the ride down or
    you can use your 'chute.

Dang near forgot. There's a Puff style Gunship orbiting the map and you can crew I think 2 gun positions. It's got something like a 3 shot or 5 shot 105mm plus a rapid fire 30mm position. Something like that. I never played that map.

Caspian Border Kharg Island and Fire Storm were my favorite maps. I am an Engineer. I blow stuff up. I miss that game.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    I was taken to a video range in San Bernardino. The first is you sitting in a recliner and the screens are 180 degrees. You are staring at a TV and suddenly the front door burst open and three guys rush you. I failed miserably. Then they roll out the front clip of a car and you are seated at a stop light I did better at this when a bad guy tried to take the car. I should mention this is all live fire. The scenes are all actual videos and very realistic. My pulse and resperation were elevated at the end of the first go.

I would love to go through the one the army built I hear some great stories coming from there.

Noname quick thanks to you engineers. I got in a little trouble in country having to do with a Steam bath and a never mind and was put to cutting the tops out of 55 gal barrels to fill with sand and make bunkers as punishment. This guy came a long and watched me beating with a chisel and hammer. He came back a little later and took an m60 fuse and three wraps of det cord around the barrel put the cap between two sand bags and removed the lid and rolled the edges of the barrel. He watched me on a couple more then left me with the makings to finish my job. My Boss could not believe I completed that job in one afternoon. Thanks to all you engineers.
    molleur and LuvMyPX4 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I was taken to a video range in San Bernardino. The first is you sitting in a recliner and the screens are 180 degrees. You are staring at a TV and suddenly the front door burst open and three guys rush you. I failed miserably. Then they roll out the front clip of a car and you are seated at a stop light I did better at this when a bad guy tried to take the car. I should mention this is all live fire. The scenes are all actual videos and very realistic. My pulse and resperation were elevated at the end of the first go.

I would love to go through the one the army built I hear some great stories coming from there.
    Me too!
    manolito likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

live fire? for real? what were you using?

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    As Harryball so eloquently said and in so few words try the same thing in BF3 back in when BF3 was first released in October 2011 when BF3 just had 6 maps. Try the Metro Map with 1,000 or 2,000 tickets. When I started playing the Metro I HATED IT. After awhile there were times I LOVED IT!!!!! I've NEVER had a WiFi game. I'm too old for that bravo sierra. Yup Try Metro for 2 to 4 hours with good players. Be advised in Metro there's 40mm grenades C4 frags Claymores smoke and 30cal Warsaw Pact GP belt fed Machineguns coming at you so you'll be steppin' and fetchin' I kid you knot!!!

In the later version of BF3 there's a map where a 50 or 100 story Skyscraper topples over in the midst of the battle. They got everything under the Sun coming for you. When the skyscraper starts to go I spose you can go out Beach Boys Style surfin' the ride down or
    you can use your 'chute.

Dang near forgot. There's a Puff style Gunship orbiting the map and you can crew I think 2 gun positions. It's got something like a 3 shot or 5 shot 105mm plus a rapid fire 30mm position. Something like that. I never played that map.

Caspian Border Kharg Island and Fire Storm were my favorite maps. I am an Engineer. I blow stuff up. I miss that game.
    NoName, I only caught a few of the stuff you rolled out there. What is BF3? Puff Style? I guess I knew the military would not take me so i went to get an Eng degree, so I can figure out the shells and claymores, etc, but would never know range and effect of them. I guess I am too dumb in that way.

As much fun as this sounds, and what HairyBall described (we do have a Wii), I was kind of thinking of something that would actually sharpen my real life skills, and not make my family more worried of my sanity. (once I start playing games like these, I don't stop until it is time to go to work again)
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    NoName, I only caught a few of the stuff you rolled out there. What is BF3? Puff Style? I guess I knew the military would not take me so i went to get an Eng degree, so I can figure out the shells and claymores, etc, but would never know range and effect of them. I guess I am too dumb in that way.

As much fun as this sounds, and what HairyBall described (we do have a Wii), I was kind of thinking of something that would actually sharpen my real life skills, and not make my family more worried of my sanity. (once I start playing games like these, I don't stop until it is time to go to work again)
    You should listen on youtube to LT. David Grossman. He talks about the visualization of the repeated draw stroke in the video games. Give it a listen. If I am not mistaken it is in his bullet proof mind seminar....
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    That is what I am talking about. I guess I live in the wrong state, but then, the way CA seems to be going, maybe they will be moving that attraction here.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You should listen on youtube to LT. David Grossman. He talks about the visualization of the repeated draw stroke in the video games. Give it a listen. If I am not mistaken it is in his bullet proof mind seminar....
    "Teaching Our Kids to Kill" goes into muscle memory in relation the the training a kid did on video games then the shooting he did at a school. Pretty impressive hit ratio. Almost all head shots. Kind of a morbid thought, but it can happen.

Oh, and these guys just came to Hickory. A buddy of mine went and really liked it. I need to check it out. It's a virtual/video range and simulator using gas blowback guns. They train LE and the general public.

Tactical Defense Academy
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post

First off LuvMyPX4 (& the OP) many thanks for your gracious comments. TBT my Ego bounced right through the ceiling here and now I have a nice Skylight over my head. I'll try to take your points/comments one by one.

BF3 is a FPS. That's a First Person Shooter video game in a combat environment. About as close to the real deal as you can get and still be safe at home. BF3 was developed after BF2 came out in 2006-2007. BF3 is BF2 on STEROIDS. Plus BF3 has environments that become rubble if they take too much fire from mortars bombs grenades missiles and rockets and 30mm fire from Gunships. If you stay in one place too long you become part of the rubble.

As to **Puff Style** Gunships this is what I was referring to. During the Vietnam War IIRC someone came up with the idea of putting a GE Mini Gun in (I think the same plane used by Paratrooper transport planes in WWII). It was a CAS (Close Air Support) platform to keep the NVA off our guys. The GE Mini Gun spewed out 2,000 rounds per minute. They've since come out with a platform with 8,000RPM. Guns like this can do incredible damage to the enemy. These days I believe a heavy transport fixed wing aircraft is used. I think it's the C5A
    or Hercules tho I am not positive. It could be total bunk but I think a rapid fire 105mm howitzer was adapted for use in this role. In the BF3 game there is a large gun and the equivalent of a MK19 40mm (belt fed grenade launcher) similar to the nose gun in some HD Helicopter Gunships.

In BF2 the Sharqui map had I believe it was a Cobra (US) Gunship. It's nose gun (IMHO) had a wimpy 30cal machinegun. The enemy Gunship had between a 20 and 30mm beltfed nose gun that could fire up to 15 exploding rounds before the gun would reset. I enjoyed stealing the enemy ship and picking up a crackerjack pilot (IMHO a CJ pilot in my book is an Ace or better/ think the Carlos Hathcock of Gunship pilots) I was real damn good with that nose gun. Better with the nose gun than pilot and I was a damn fine pilot. No brag just fact.

As far as sanity goes I often played BF2 14 to 18 hours a day On Line. With BF3 there was a built in doo dad that after 12 hours I think the game would kick you out to go get some shut eye (INK the screen would say this at the top-Go Get Some Sleep!!) Sometimes I'd get off 1 server and get right back on in another server. I mean I am an adult. I don't need some yahoo in Sweden telling me I need some shut eye.

As to your not joining the military it's not cut out for everyone. I have always had trouble with Authority figures so my service was a bit less than stellar. Just the same I did the best I could with what I had to work with. For the record I was never in Nam and I never saw combat.
    I know what I know cuz when I was little my teachers were determined to teach me to read. I also learned that reading opens you to the whole world and beyond. In subjects that interest me I became a voracious reader. WWII has always held a keen interest for me so I've read a lot and seen countless documentaries. My teachers also taught me how to sound out words otherwise my spelling would be atrocious.
    My school subscribed to a service back then known as Scholastic Book Services. My folks paid for many paperbacks at 25 and 35 cents each. I still have 1 or 2 floating around here somewhere.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

IIRC semi early in the video game world when the first FPS's came out someone somewhere saw a FPS game and brought it to the attention of DOD and the US Army. It wasn't too long after that that DOD had some FPS video game engineers working on a video game platform for training purposes.

I watched a clip on YouTube last year whereby at the last mega huge video game roll out one of the video game companies came out with a FPS that was basically a cockpit you sat in as you played the game. It wasn't a Lazy Boy recliner by any stretch but more like a tank drivers seat. The screen was large like 40 or 50 inch. IDK if it was a wrap around screen like has been mentioned here. The entire game was supported with hydraulics so that as you moved to the left so would you. If you're flying a Gunship or jet you would experience sphincter
    tightening aerodynamics as you're bobbing and weaving to avoid ground fire other hostile aircraft and Javelin missiles. This is a man transportable SAM (surface to air missile) that can kill an aircraft if it hits the right spot like a wing. This game platform was fairly large (comparable to an old VW Beetle) and was fairly heavy tho IDNK the actual shipping weight. I doubt UPS or Fed Ex would deliver it. If you're not already driving a Ferrari don't ask you can't afford it. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    "Teaching Our Kids to Kill" goes into muscle memory in relation the the training a kid did on video games then the shooting he did at a school. Pretty impressive hit ratio. Almost all head shots. Kind of a morbid thought, but it can happen.

Oh, and these guys just came to Hickory. A buddy of mine went and really liked it. I need to check it out. It's a virtual/video range and simulator using gas blowback guns. They train LE and the general public.

Tactical Defense Academy
    Back when I played BF2 and BF3 online I would forgo eating and sleep to stay in game. When I'd finally quit due to pure exhaustion or flat fell asleep in game I never felt like going anywhere like a school or an observation tower with several rifles and a boatload of ammo and snipe at people like the average school shooter has in the past. NEVER EVER!!!!! I think a lot of that comes from basically the same type of folks that want to disarm us and the world. JMHO YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links