Non-Resident Pistol Permit for Connecticut

This is a discussion on Non-Resident Pistol Permit for Connecticut within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My question concerns the process I must go through when applying for a non-resident Connecticut State Carry permit given my unique situation. I am currently ...

Thread: Non-Resident Pistol Permit for Connecticut

My question concerns the process I must go through when applying for a non-resident Connecticut State Carry permit given my unique situation. I am currently a resident of New Jersey attending college in Connecticut. I have been told that my two options are to either apply as a resident for the state carry permit in Connecticut or apply for a non-resident Florida carry permit then a Connecticut non-resident permit. My preference is to apply as a non-resident since I do not plan on residing in Connecticut after college.

Under the DPS-799-C instruction form, it indicates that I must hold a valid permit or license to carry a pistol or revolver issued by a recognized United States jurisdiction. Does this mean that I can obtain a non-resident Florida carry permit then apply for a Connecticut state carry permit even though I am not a resident of Florida? Obtaining a New Jersey permit is near impossible without a "valid reason" so it would not be an option in my situation.

That's what the non-res application says; there is no written requirement there which states where that "recognized US jurisdiction" is. In fact, given CT's own two-step permit process, you might try applying in the town where you reside as a student. Assuming success in getting the town permit, you could then follow the non-res application process, using the town permit.

If you're a full-time student, you're living in CT more than 6 months of the year. I think a better suggestion is to get a CT driver's license, possibly register to vote there as well, and then apply for a resident permit. Once you have that, when your schooling is over and you move away, you just submit an address change and retain your CT carry privileges.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links