Which draw and first shot is best?

This is a discussion on Which draw and first shot is best? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching a video of Lenny Magill and his theory is a one handed draw and shoot and a different draw. I should add ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 2 Post By molleur
  • 1 Post By sammeow
  • 2 Post By denclaste
  • 1 Post By molleur
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm
  • 2 Post By 40Bob
  • 1 Post By manolito
  • 1 Post By Easy8
  • 3 Post By Exacto
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By AzQkr

Thread: Which draw and first shot is best?

Which draw and first shot is best?

I was watching a video of Lenny Magill and his theory is a one handed draw and shoot and a different draw.
    I should add I have gathered as much video and books as possible from Ayoob, The Col. and some from Magill

I found a thread here from ExactlyMyPoint Lenny Magill started back on 2009.

My question though is on the initial draw is from holster to shoot, not the typical 4 point draw. He also advocates a one handed shoot because it narrows your body target area.

This all makes sense, and I know I need to practice different scenarios because you have to be able to adapt, but is there a best way?

I know it is best to find what works for me and practice that the most, but, two things make more sense
    1) I am more accurate with a right handed first shot (follow up shots take longer to re-acquire target)
    2) the smaller the target I present is best.

So, what do the experts say? should I add his draw and shoot method to my training? (this is from video #2 called Concealed Carry, I forget the series name)
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Use what works best for you. That may be determined through practice of various methods. I'm a lefty and believe this is a bit of an advantage, especially with a revolver.
    The weapon, holster, method of carry and your skill level all come into play with this.

There is no such thing as "best", as everyone is different.
    I am in the camp of a pelvic area first shot, if that's what you were asking.
    It would all depend upon the situation, time and distance involved.
    denclaste and manolito like this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

No expert here, interesting info though.
    I practice to react. Pray I never have to, but committed if I do!
    Exacto likes this.

The only way for you to really know is to practice and adopt what works best for you. For close combat I prefer "point" shooting as opposed to "aimed" shots. Its what I learned long ago and what I'm comfortable with. I do practice one handed, both strong and weak hand" as well as 2 hand. Since I carry 10mm 1911's its essential to practice at least weekly. I do have a 45acp and do practice the same with it. Just take what you need from your reading and videos and disregard what seems too overboard or of questionable value. Keep asking your questions on this forum as there is huge knowledge base here for you to tap into.
    LuvMyPX4 and molleur like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denclaste View Post
    The only way for you to really know is to practice and adopt what works best for you. For close combat I prefer "point" shooting as opposed to "aimed" shots. Its what I learned long ago and what I'm comfortable with. I do practice one handed, both strong and weak hand" as well as 2 hand. Since I carry 10mm 1911's its essential to practice at least weekly. I do have a 45acp and do practice the same with it. Just take what you need from your reading and videos and disregard what seems too overboard or of questionable value. Keep asking your questions on this forum as there is huge knowledge base here for you to tap into.
    Good advise. Did I mention practice? Then practice some more.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    My question though is on the initial draw is from holster to shoot, not the typical 4 point draw. He also advocates a one handed shoot because it narrows your body target area.
    No expert, here, but I train using all sorts of basic draw/fire techniques. By far, the greatest repeatable accuracy and speed to effective target comes from a basic weaver type two-handed position. Yes, being bladed and one-handed makes one a thinner target. But it can also make one less accurate. And not all other assailants are firing a gun back at you on the instant you're drawing.

It's but one position out of several that should, at least IMO, be mastered and be in our tool boxes. Strong hand, off hand, both hands, from concealment, from a crouch, from the ground, while seated, being fired upon, CQB or at distance, and all the other variations we might have to deal with.
    molleur, Ghost1958 and LuvMyPX4 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The only time I do not draw to full extension is if I need to shoot from retention. I dislike the silly 4 point draw.
    LuvMyPX4 and Ghost1958 like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Just be very careful where you put your booger hook. So many shoot themselves in the leg trying to hurry the draw. Don't be a statistic.

If you look at the contestants at a quick draw competition they all have a metal protrusion at the bottom of the holster to deflect the bullet away from their leg when things go wrong.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Just be very careful where you put your booger hook. So many shoot themselves in the leg trying to hurry the draw. Don't be a statistic.

If you look at the contestants at a quick draw competition they all have a metal protrusion at the bottom of the holster to deflect the bullet away from their leg when things go wrong.
    I keep my booger hook off the trigger until it is pointed away from me.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Have been drawing an point shooting for decades, it takes lots of practice with the same weapon. I have four weapons in my carry rotation an all are no external safety's just point an shoot. Its what works for me. Just make sure you are wearing your everyday clothes you carry in. I draw from concealment, shoot first shot one handed as I clear holster close retention as I extend my arms follow ups are two handed. As I get better groups I extend to ten feet than 15. Find what works best for you. You will definitely need quality holster, one you can reholster with one hand. Also a good belt. Make sure you practice quick reloads. Being able to draw an get on target is a great weapon to have in your arsenal but nothing beats situational awarness an limiting your exposure. The old saying rings true. Dont do stupid things with stupid people at stupid times.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    the one hat hits the bad guy
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The problem being committed to one particular move is you never know from what position you will need to draw. As you know, there are 360 degrees on a compass, and an attack can come from any one of them. You don't know which and you may not even be on your feet. So, best to practice getting rounds on target from any direction and any position you can think of, and then some.
    Ghost1958, LuvMyPX4 and ccw9mm like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

As far as draw and fire there is no best SD method. There is what will work at the instant you need it to to get the mostest on target the fastest. Learn all you can and practice it.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Sponsor
    Weaver two handed, iso two handed, Mod weaver, mod iso, two hand compressed ready, and one handed, below eye level, line of sight shooting can and should be familiar and be capable of use at any given time based on unknown variables.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Links