This should be taught in schools!!

This is a discussion on This should be taught in schools!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We teach kids about drugs, sex, drunk driving, now texting and driving.... Why don't we teach gun safety in school?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: This should be taught in schools!!

This should be taught in schools!!

We teach kids about drugs, sex, drunk driving, now texting and driving....

Why don't we teach gun safety in school?

2. Remove Ads

They don't choose what to teach by what the kids need to know... but what is politically "correct"

VIP Member
    Some schools do teach - or have people come in to teach - the NRA Eddie Eagle classes to the youngest kids. That is a start. Real gun safety for the older ones (4th grade +) would be fantastic!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    It used to be.
    gatorbait51, tdave and Durhamgoat like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Totally agree!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member
    Many years ago in another more relaxed time in Maryland we shot 22lr rifles under the crawl space in a school in different competitions . Me and my brothers had a ball and learned the proper responsibility in handling a gun ( rifle )

Never will happen again here in this state and alot of states around the country .
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Agree as long as the curriculum is factual, not opinion based. Teach what is safe and unsafe and what guns are for. Not a propaganda campaign against guns (i could see this happening very easily).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 and DingBat like this.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdgull View Post
    We teach kids about drugs, sex, drunk driving, now texting and driving....

Why don't we teach gun safety in school?
    Because they'd probably screw it up, just like they do all of the above things they actually do teach in schools.
    Hakkaa päälle!

In the 40's and 50's some of the High Schools in NY had rifle teams. They used .22 rifles to compete. They taught safety and marksmanship. In the 60's that ended. I'm not sure why. Poor decision, I believe it would have helped some of the situations we see today. The Eddy Eagle program is a good alternative, but isn't allowed in all schools. Too many people concerned at being Politically correct.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I went to a seminar this week with a Lt. Col Grossman. I couldn't come close to passing on his message. He compared children burning up in school fires and how we went to zero fatalities in fires in the schools of the United States. Then he points out instead of putting in locks and safety glass and all the other safety and security measures we put in the court house. We have focused on taking the gun away from people. Can you imagine if we went about fire prevention the same way took all the matches but left the building codes using flammable components and no sprinkler systems and most of all no fire drills. We don't want to teach safety or stop school invasions we want to just take guns from law abiding citizens.

His final point was we give the fire fighters a A+ and for the police we offer a Needs Improvement. If you get a chance to see this I highly recommend it. He also said hiring security guards is like putting in a sprinkler system and not turning on the water. Hiring full time police officers is what needs to be done. Gun free zones is where predators go.

In the late 60's early 70's my high school in AZ had rifle team composed of members of the schools ROTC program. As I was leaving the school to join the Marines there was already talk of deemphasizing the "military" aspect of ROTC to teach citizenship and civic responsibility.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

It is the natural responsibility of the Alpha Parent in each family to teach the young how to survive. I have taught firearms safety and use to my sons and now to my grandchildren. I have provided .22 rifles to each of my sons' families for further practice. School is for teaching academic basics and the Arts. (I say this as a retired school teacher). I EDC and have weapons in my home.

This said, the decision to be aggressively defensive or to rely on social constraints such as good will, police, religious morals, etc. is a personal choice. It will be based on the most part by the individual's religious and moral upbringing. To force any philosophy on children in school, especially a philosophy that runs counter to the wishes of the parents, IMHO is wrong. The answer here is not to teach weapons safety and use in school, with the attached political and social philosophy, but to start supervised gun clubs for <16 year olds in each community (many already exist). Then allow the parents the prerogative as to whether to allow their children to attend. The NRA would have done this in the past but I fear now that it deviates too far from their political agenda and takes money out of the pockets of the powerful ruling management. Clubs like this would be an ideal venue for local gun groups.

I believe strongly that gun safety and use instruction should be available, but in a more discretionary way, still under the control of the parents.
    Betty, wyoung, blitzburgh and 2 others like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    It is the natural responsibility of the Alpha Parent in each family to teach the young how to survive. I have taught firearms safety and use to my sons and now to my grandchildren. I have provided .22 rifles to each of my sons' families for further practice. School is for teaching academic basics and the Arts. (I say this as a retired school teacher). I EDC and have weapons in my home.

This said, the decision to be aggressively defensive or to rely on social constraints such as good will, police, religious morals, etc. is a personal choice. It will be based on the most part by the individual's religious and moral upbringing. To force any philosophy on children in school, especially a philosophy that runs counter to the wishes of the parents, IMHO is wrong. The answer here is not to teach weapons safety and use in school, with the attached political and social philosophy, but to start supervised gun clubs for <16 year olds in each community (many already exist). Then allow the parents the prerogative as to whether to allow their children to attend. The NRA would have done this in the past but I fear now that it deviates too far from their political agenda and takes money out of the pockets of the powerful ruling management. Clubs like this would be an ideal venue for local gun groups.

I believe strongly that gun safety and use instruction should be available, but in a more discretionary way, still under the control of the parents.
    Exactly. Schools should focus on academics--not act as a substitute for parental irresponsibility. Parents should be the primary educators of their children.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    In the late 60's early 70's my high school in AZ had rifle team composed of members of the schools ROTC program. As I was leaving the school to join the Marines there was already talk of deemphasizing the "military" aspect of ROTC to teach citizenship and civic responsibility.

Yes, the Vietnam era was a significant turning point on how society viewed the government and, in turn, itself.

What he wrote. And, unless you're familiar with the modern day classroom, student and especially parent, you really don't want everyone in a public school being taught about guns. When it comes to inclusion, they want to treat every kid the same even though there are vastly different levels of responsibilities, abilities and morals amongst students. SPED kids are to be included in all activities regardless of their abilities to participate responsibly or not.

Case in point, a mom like Nancy Lanza probably would have forced a district to include her little psycho Adam in all those firearms activities.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post

"Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links