Moving to Florida.

Moving to Florida.

This is a discussion on Moving to Florida. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope this is the right place for such a question. My wife has accepted a nursing position at the VA Medical Center in West ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Moving to Florida.

Moving to Florida.

I hope this is the right place for such a question. My wife has accepted a nursing position at the VA Medical Center in West Palm Beach and we will be moving later this summer. Will I be required to take a Florida state carry/safety course in order to obtain my Florida state handgun permit, or since I have my Oklahoma permit, would I just have to submit the proper paperwork for a Florida permit? Thanks in advance.

Does OK have a training requirement?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Does OK have a training requirement?
    Yes they do, or at least they did in 95 when I got my OK permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Its an 8 hour course that goes over gun safety, state laws, and range time with 50 rounds to show you can safely handle and shoot a firearm. That's just for your permit, you can take additional defensive training courses to gain valuable tactics and knowledge to use in a (hope you never have to use them) defensive situation.

VIP Member
    OP, are you prior military? If so I believe your DD214 with suffice for your training, I believe FL also accepts hunter safety, but don't know if they accept another states hunter safety certificate.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you are moving you are changing your legal state of residence, which I am sure means you will have to go through the Florida training and permit application process.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk Pro

First,if your course qualifies for FL permit you are ok or take a new course. You can also use DD214 if you are a vet.
    BTW, the West Palm Beach VAMC is one of the top rated in the country if not the top rated.
    I know because I volunteer there.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Distinguished Member
    Florida will recognise your OK permit.
    As soon as you establish residency in FL, call the Dept. of Agriculture to transfer your OK permit.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    OP, are you prior military? If so I believe your DD214 with suffice for your training, I believe FL also accepts hunter safety, but don't know if they accept another states hunter safety certificate.
    I am not prior military, but my wife is. She was in Iraq during OIF phase 3.
    GhostMaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    First,if your course qualifies for FL permit you are ok or take a new course. You can also use DD214 if you are a vet.
    BTW, the West Palm Beach VAMC is one of the top rated in the country if not the top rated.
    I know because I volunteer there.
    Yeah she done a lot of research on VA medical centers, West Palm Beach and a couple in NC were her picks, just accepted a position as Chemo Infusion Nurse in the Oncology Dept. at WPB VAMC. Still has all the VAs red tape stuff to go through.

Permits are only good for 7 years here, so they may require you to take another course. The course is not 8 hour mandatory, I took mine at Harry Beckwith in Micanopy (about 2-3hrs from you) and it was 1-6pm, fully accredited NRA class. We shot about 50 rounds. It was 75 plus the 20 for ammo, so 95 bucks total, not bad. Can't remember if it was one or two hundred for the permit with digital fingerprint submission, your best bet is to go to one of the "Fast Track" regional offices, yours would be Tampa.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    wish I was going being applying for Florida jobs
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I'm seeing a lot of misinformation here. When I moved here I wasn't able to "transfer" my TN permit but I didn't have to take the class.

If you have a certificate from when you took your OK class that should suffice provided it meets the requirements. I was able to show I took a class from an NRA instructor.

You can request the packet here.

Concealed Weapon License Application / Concealed Weapon License / Licensing / Divisions & Offices / Home - Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

Welcome to the Gunshine state.
    BugDude, firerat and liskewitz72 like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You will have 90 days to obtain a FL CWFL once you establish residency (FL DL, register to vote, etc.), not starting when you enter FL. Your OK permit will be valid during that 90 days. I don't know about any transferring of your OK permit, but the 90 days is the time FL has to issue you one.

As long as your training meets the criteria of the FL requirements it will be accepted with proof of attendance. If it was NRA approved it's good. An 8-hour course is certainly longer than the Wham-Bam-Thank-you-Ma'am CC courses they run at the gun shows. There is a regional Dept. of Agriculture & Consumer Services office in WPB that will hasten the processing.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Do it now

Apply NOW, don't wait until you get here.

Florida Concealed Weapon License Application Information - Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

When you get your address in Florida, change it from OK, and you become a resident. The only differences are in reciprocity - some states do not allow reciprocity, unless you are a state resident of the permit.

Are you sure that your OK is no good after your leave? Does the state have non-resident?
    finst3r and Grant48 like this.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links