Dual Residency

Dual Residency

This is a discussion on Dual Residency within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are any of you, or do you know of anyone, who owns property and their wife/husband lives in one state and you work and reside ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Dual Residency

Dual Residency

Are any of you, or do you know of anyone, who owns property and their wife/husband lives in one state and you work and reside in a different state and has a resident CCL for both states?

VIP Member
    To the best of my knowledge, the only way someone is going to be able to do what your asking, is someone on military active duty. They are allowed to maintain their residence in their home of record, and are treated as a resident of the state they are stationed in.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I was under the assumption that if you own property in South Carolina you can get a permit there and have one in your first home . Not sure if i read it right or not .
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the only way someone is going to be able to do what your asking, is someone on military active duty. They are allowed to maintain their residence in their home of record, and are treated as a resident of the state they are stationed in.
    That is correct I think too but I'm retired now so doesn't matter!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You are a resident of one state or the other, not both. Owning property does not a resident make. Living on said property in a permanent abode does. Since you didn't state which states are involved, your best bet is one accepted by both.
    TX expat and Rock and Glock like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    You are only a resident of one state at a time. Yes, if you own property in South Carolina you can get a SC permit, but it is a non-resident permit. (And the only way to get a non-resident SC permit is to own property in the state.) If you own property in two states you have to pick one as your residence. Typically it will be the state on your driver's license.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You are a resident of one state or the other, not both. Owning property does not a resident make. Living on said property in a permanent abode does. Since you didn't state which states are involved, your best bet is one accepted by both.
    Unfortunately I reside in OR.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    You are only a resident of one state at a time.
    I've heard that for years but never seen it in writing. Is this one those things that "everybody knows"?

VIP Member
    There are a few ways that you can come to the determination. Without spending a lot of time looking for specific statutes for individual states I'll just say that using google and searching for residency requirements for a particular state will show you what is required to claim residency in that state. It is common for one of the requirements to be that you have been or will be residing in the state for more than six months (or 183 days depending on wording). It is also common for states to require you to turn over any driver's license or ID card from your previous state before being given new cards for that state.

You can be a resident of two states for tax purposes- but unless you're in a unique situation you don't want to do that and it isn't likely to help much for what you're trying to do. Though I do know that in Oregon showing a tax return filed with the county you're applying for the CCW in can be enough to show residence. In the end your best bet is probably to aim for a non-resident permit or claiming residence of a state that will issue a permit honored by both states.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Read post Number 11 in this thread: Multi State Residence?

It is the definitive answer to all state residency questions by a world-renowned tax expert.

There are several other excellent posts in that same thread. Read it, study it, test at 11:00.
    Echo_Four likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Read post Number 11 in this thread: Multi State Residence?

It is the definitive answer to all state residency questions by a world-renowned tax expert.

There are several other excellent posts in that same thread. Read it, study it, test at 11:00.
    Hey that dude has an avatar just like yours!

Thanks, good info.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Living in OR is not a bad thing. Non resident permit for WA is shall issue. It's a little harder to get a non resident in Oregon but I have one so it can be done. If CA is your problem then for now you are screwed. That may or may not change soon.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    You live in one state and it does not matter where you work. I live in LA but work crime & accident scenes in TX and AR. My LA permit works in the other states I may work in and my commission works in LA as well as my CCW..
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I know that every time I was issued another state's DL, they took my old state's DL.
    SIGP250 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You could establish residence on Mars. I hear all the other states honor their permits.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links