CCW Class yesterday

CCW Class yesterday

This is a discussion on CCW Class yesterday within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I sat through our CCW class yesterday. They had over-booked a little so there were 22 people but with two instructors it ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By Norm66
  • 1 Post By Huski92
  • 1 Post By Kennydale
  • 3 Post By NETim
  • 3 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 4 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By NETim
  • 1 Post By dhuffman
  • 1 Post By 1911_Kimber
  • 1 Post By onacoma

Thread: CCW Class yesterday

CCW Class yesterday

My wife and I sat through our CCW class yesterday. They had over-booked a little so there were 22 people but with two instructors it all went really smoothly. We learned a lot both in the classroom and on the range. The responsibility of carrying concealed is huge and deserves a lot of thought and consideration. I think my wife realizes a bit better now about that. I know I do.

Our instructors were great. A lot of the people in the class had never fired a handgun before but after the training there were no incidents or safety issues of any kind on the range. They worked as a team (as well they should being a married couple) and gave everyone the attention they needed along with answering questions in the classroom to everybody's understanding and satisfaction. I was very impressed.

We both had new guns to break in. Her first, a SCCY 9mm and mine, a S&W Shield 9mm. I sold my Sig P220 in .45ACP for something easier to conceal since that was the main reason I didn't carry when I had my permit before.

Both guns performed flawlessly, no FTFs or FTEs. Becky said she didn't miss more than a handful of shots and knew what she had done wrong when she did miss. She did have trouble loading her mags (5 at a time) due to the cold weather and brand new magazines, but I was able to get her last one in and still be ready to fire. Her mags will break in with time I'm sure but even so, loading mags isn't a big deal. I can do it or we can get a loader if necessary.

I have to say I'm extremely pleased with my little Shield. I'm a big guy and the Shield felt the best of all the similar guns I handled but I wasn 't 100% sure until I fired it. It handled beautifully, the recoil was basically negligible and it seemed really accurate (though we were only shooting at 20 feet or so at 8" steel plates). I was able to pick spots and hit them single fire and hit a good percentage of center shots rapid fire. It's the first S&W auto I've fired since I shot a buddy's Sigma in .40 that did not impress (they were new out at the time, maybe they improved) and I couldn't have been happier with it. The trigger wasn't an issue at all though I've seen some people complain about them.

Maybe the biggest improvement since I was an active shooter 10+ years ago is probably the bore snake. Talk about making cleaning a weapon easy and fast. Great product.

They offer some additional courses even going up through AR and shotguns so I see us continuing our formal training in addition to on our own.

Has anyone else taken any training beyond the regular CCW course? What was your experience? What did it cover?
    RebelSoul likes this.

Yes. I have taken Gunsite classes and they are great for both the we shooter and the experienced. You draw from the holster, work movement, low injury, etc. you'll go through 250 to 300 rounds. It a lot of fun and great training!
    Norm66 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I did take a basic handgun 101. There is an instructor who has a course in home defense that includes Room Clearing. The price is $120 includes Hot Dogs & Hamburger lunch. I am seriously thinking on it.
    Norm66 likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

By all means, get additional training beyond the CCW class. You'll get some skills to drill and practice. Training is fun too IMHO.
    Lots of good trainers to choose from. Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Rangemaster, TDI, the list is endless.
    USM1976, JDE101 and Norm66 like this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    By all means, get additional training beyond the CCW class. You'll get some skills to drill and practice. Training is fun too IMHO.
    Lots of good trainers to choose from. Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Rangemaster, TDI, the list is endless.
    ^^^^YES, THE ABOVE ^^^^

You can go to many good shooting schools and keep learning more about self defense shooting and increase your level of competence - for years to come. It is much more rewarding and fun than a cruise. (Well, I've never been on a cruise and you couldn't give me one, but had to compare it to something ! )
    molleur, Norm66 and USM1976 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Look at it this way, you can never have enough training, whether it be formal or informal.
    Norm66, JDE101, molleur and 1 others like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    ^^^^YES, THE ABOVE ^^^^

You can go to many good shooting schools and keep learning more about self defense shooting and increase your level of competence - for years to come. It is much more rewarding and fun than a cruise. (Well, I've never been on a cruise and you couldn't give me one, but had to compare it to something ! )
    And you meet some way cool people in training classes. You can actually discuss SD issues w/o folks looking at you like you have 3 arms. A good school will flatten the learning curve.

And gaining proficiency with a handgun is never a bad thing.
    Norm66 likes this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (19202006)

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to get a group of my friends and maybe my dad together to take an advanced class. It would be great.

I filed my paperwork at the courthouse yesterday afternoon. I'm expecting my permit in the mail Friday or Saturday.

There's no indoor ranges or even training for miles around but the CCW instructor I'm taking my class with is local and I have a small outdoor set up on our 40 acres. Once I get my permit and can legally drive with it I want to take some classes in Tulsa.
    Norm66 likes this.

My permit arrived today. My dad says tradition dictates I now go to WalMart and walk around. ☺️. I told him I was thinking maybe some LGSs as I avoid walmart at all costs.

Sounds like you had your money's worth and a great time while spending it. Thanks for sharing with us
    Norm66 likes this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Indeed.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm66 View Post
    Our instructors were great. A lot of the people in the class had never fired a handgun before but after the training there were no incidents or safety issues of any kind on the range.

Has anyone else taken any training beyond the regular CCW course? What was your experience? What did it cover?
    Oh let me catch my breath! Ok, the 2nd amendment does grant the Right to Bear Arms! Do we really want someone Conceal Carrying when they've only handled a firearm in an 8 hour (NV requires the 8 hours that I teach) class? Rhetorical!!

You have a great start to being an armed citizen, but that is just a beginning! As a "Student of the Gun" I would suggest a MAG-40 class went you've obtained your permit. The class covers 24 hours of law and 16 of range time. There are NRA classes such as Personal Defense inside the home as well as outside the home. Also there are numerous other classes. I recommend that you train at least once a month with your firearms. That NOT going to a range and shooting paper targets! It is various drills which include drawing from concealment, shooting while moving, weak hand shooting as well as one hand reloads. My CCW permitted students all start out shooting a 7 yard drill: 4 magazines loaded with 6 rounds (Ammo Shortage); one magazine two hand grip to the center mass of target, reload, one magazine strong hand to center mass of target, reload, one magazine support (weak) hand to center mass of target, reload and final magazine two hand to head of target. We use IDPA cardboard target for the out door range and a B-27 for indoor range.

Other drills include stoppage clearing, racking the slide with only one hand, i.e., using a belt or other object to hold the slide. So embrace your responsibility as it is granted by our Founding Fathers foresight! Be Safe out there!
    Norm66 likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member
    Congrats on the completion...
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Yea I fully intend to continue my training. Best thing us my wife wants to do the same. The fact that I'm a mere baby is something I understand and embrace.

Sponsored Links