Firehouse Carry in VA?

Firehouse Carry in VA?

This is a discussion on Firehouse Carry in VA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am training a new guy so I will be on site at a Volunteer Fire Department tomorrow. Nothing at handgunlaw.us, just the usual schools, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Firehouse Carry in VA?

VIP Member

Firehouse Carry in VA?

I am training a new guy so I will be on site at a Volunteer Fire Department tomorrow.

Nothing at handgunlaw.us, just the usual schools, federal buildings, etc....

Anyone got the skinny?

No state law that I am aware of, but the individual department may have "rules" about it.
    Like all free advice on the internet, this comment is worth what you paid for it.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
    I am training a new guy so I will be on site at a Volunteer Fire Department tomorrow.

Nothing at handgunlaw.us, just the usual schools, federal buildings, etc....

Anyone got the skinny?
    Instead of Handgunlaw.com--which is a great resource--Google VA firearms laws and check the statute on CC/firearm prohibited places. Ultimately, that is what LE will go by.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    No state law that I am aware of, but the individual department may have "rules" about it.
    Like all free advice on the internet, this comment is worth what you paid for it.
    When I worked for a City they had no CCW Sighns on all City Buidings. Lock it in your car until you find out.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    VA Firehouses are not off limits meaning you can carry into it them…If he is a a FF and he gets caught, he could loose his job thats about the worst thing that can happen.

VA also has Pre-emption meaning that no municipality can have stricter control than what the state says….In other words if they do restrict it…..ITS NULL and VOID.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Several years ago VA OEMS tried to ban guns (relevance: many FDs are licensed EMS agencies). OEMS ended up voiding the regulation and eventually removed it entirely.

As stated, no laws, just employee rules in play.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Having been with a few different departments (NC and VA), every single one had a no weapons policy. Since you say you're training someone at a volunteer fire department and you're asking about laws concerning FDs, I'm going to assume you're not a FF or EMT and will be there on other business. In that case, I don't know of any state restrictions in VA against carrying in an FD and the gun buster signs do not carry the weight of law (only trespass).

VIP Member
    Completely legal in VA. I've carried in fire stations in VA many times.
    GWarden likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I never saw any signs but after ten years, I didn't pay much attention to it. I do know our policies in Virginia Beach specifically called out on duty LEO as the only folks who could carry. I know of one person for sure who was a LEO in another city and who was 'that' LEO you never wanted to meet who carried anyway and never got into trouble over it so I suspect our agency kept the policy there to dissuade folks but never enforced it knowing it wasn't legit. Something I'll keep in mind if I ever go back.

Links