Quick Question

Quick Question

This is a discussion on Quick Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So let's say you are out and about shopping and you are carrying of course then a friend calls and wants to go get a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Quick Question

Quick Question

So let's say you are out and about shopping and you are carrying of course then a friend calls and wants to go get a drink for happy hour...obviously as soon as you start drinking the gun is no longer on you. Say you have one beer and still capable to drive...your gun is in your center console, not locked. Does that count as carrying? Texas law says no carrying while intoxicated but doesn't define intoxicated. So what would be the best option on what to do with your gun?

Thanks,

Distinguished Member
    I am sure the great state of Texas has an intoxication level established.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I'd think carrying would mean on the body. Wouldn't it locked up in the vehicle be transporting?
    virg likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Concealed vs concealed carry is very different..

It defines intoxication for driving but not for CC. Just say without normal function or something like that.

As I remember in TX it is legal withouth a permit to have a gun locked and loaded in the dashboard etc ...

But I would think in theory that as long as it was not on you it would not be carried ...

But I am not a laywer and this is best ask of a lawyer ...Also if your worried maybe get a quick opening car safe that way it would be of "easy accese " and you could still get to it ...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    ^^^yes, how does TX define cc?

In MI, legal transport is only unloaded in magazine and chamber, in the trunk, not in the passenger compartment, or in a case designed for firearm transportation. Transporting this way while intoxicated would be guilty of DWI, but not in possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

Transporting any other way (loaded mag, gun not in a case in the passenger compartment...) requires a CPL, and would be considered "in possession". I believe TX transportation laws are much more common sense than MI.

Administrator
    Typically, yes. The gun is in your care and control. Best bet is to make the gun inoperable and not accessible.
    SIGP250, CLASS3NH and GWarden like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    ^^^yes, how does TX define cc?

In MI, legal transport is only unloaded in magazine and chamber, in the trunk, not in the passenger compartment, or in a case designed for firearm transportation. Transporting this way while intoxicated would be guilty of DWI, but not in possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

Transporting any other way (loaded mag, gun not in a case in the passenger compartment...) requires a CPL, and would be considered "in possession". I believe TX transportation laws are much more common sense than MI.
    Just the opposite in GA. You can have a gun in your vehicle (even w/o carry license), but it has to be in the passenger compartment. If it is in your trunk it is considered illegally concealed (loaded or not) and you are in trouble.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Simple. Disarm, go meet your friend, DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL!!! Have a Coke or Diet Coke, talk about old times, get back in your car, get your weapon, leave. Problem solved.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It depends on the state really. In FL, if under the influence, it would have to be loaded and "in the hand" to be a violation of law. Under the influence is not specifically defined in that statute. Mere presence is not illegal, although it is illegal to CC in a bar, tavern, or bar area of an alcohol-serving restaurant.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    As I remember in TX it is legal withouth a permit to have a gun locked and loaded in the dashboard etc ...

But I would think in theory that as long as it was not on you it would not be carried ...

But I am not a laywer and this is best ask of a lawyer ...Also if your worried maybe get a quick opening car safe that way it would be of "easy accese " and you could still get to it ...
    Texas law allows having a gun loaded or unloaded in the car or boat with or without a CHL, as long as it is concealed. The dashboard would not be my first or last choice of places to put a handgun.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Just the opposite in GA. You can have a gun in your vehicle (even w/o carry license), but it has to be in the passenger compartment. If it is in your trunk it is considered illegally concealed (loaded or not) and you are in trouble.
    That would violate federal law.
    ...during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

If heading out specifically to drink, personally I'd avoid carrying at all.

But then, I don't do that. Either one. So, for me it's an easy decision. Benefits to being the permanently designated driver, at such things. Plus, I have no qualms over drinking a soda or orange juice. Quenches the thirst just fine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Carrying is on you. This is transport.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links