Having been in a wheelchair recently

This is a discussion on Having been in a wheelchair recently within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was able to experience firsthand what problems a ccw holder has in a wheelchair. I had a quad bipass, followed a month later by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Having been in a wheelchair recently

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

I was able to experience firsthand what problems a ccw holder has in a wheelchair. I had a quad bipass, followed a month later by a Gall Bladder split with gangrene. They put me in a wheelchair for several weeks until my body healed. As a week went on I began to work out defensive techniques with a handgun.
    Let me give a few of the problems so you folks can think about them as you teach folks who are in a chair.
    1. The handgun has to be carefully selected much more than a normal student. Have a good selection of handguns (we will have 12) most of them small (although several types of w-chairs can hide a full size handgun). Reloading can be a problem so I suggest a capacity of at least 7 rounds.
    2. The best place to hide a gun is on the inside of the frame on the strong hand side. I chose a white medical bag that looks like an emergency kit. The 5 folks who actually went to the range with me (after we were released) liked the Glock 26, the Beretta Bobcat, and the M&P Compact. The Bobcat allowed a feisty older woman to load it without racking the slide.
    3. A handbag can be used as a rest to stabilize the gun.
    4. The defensive kit should include a flashlight, a cell phone, a handgun.

Once a gun is chose, the kit is ready, and the basic techniques in using a gun has been done then much time must be spent with the student. I'd say three times the time used with a mobile person. Constant positive approval must be given.

Distinguished Member
    I admire your determination, not only to recover from some serious surgeries, but to get back into practicing and then turn it around to help others.
    I saw a video of a lady that was doing the IPDA (sp?) and one of them had to be done from a wheelchair. She did well, but, the limitations are very evident, as you pointed out.
    Thanks for sharing, and, how is the healing process?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

VIP Member
    Very difficult situation, to be sure.

Glad everything will work out for you.
    I think you offer some good ideas, and I also believe for a situation like this, it will be a trial and error type of progression as to what works and what is uncomfortable.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Even better. Appendix carry. The arms of the chair don't get in the way. You can carry oh, say a Glock 45, G19/26 9mm or small revolver and it's practically invisible. Jackets or shirts open in front don't get in the way.

Ankle Carry. Just like sitting anywhere, especially a W/C or in your vehicle it is RIGHT THERE! Upright people have to work to get to it. Sitting folks don't. Great way to carry!
    Ask me how I know ....
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Sometimes I have to use MY CHAIR,I carry a 1911at 9'oclock,and if I need to draw will flip the chair arm out of the way allowing me complete access just like I was sitting in a chair with no arms
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

threefeathers,
    Thank you for sharing that information - and thanks to the others who posted their successful chair carry methods also. My father was in a wheel chair the last couple years of his life. None of us knows for sure if we will have to use one, whether temporarily or permanently. It is good to have some answers available for this situation if it occurs!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I hope at her age i can be as spunky.
    CLASS3NH and scottync like this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

I have a customer, who is disabled and uses a wheel chair for mobility. He carrys a Glock 36 appendix carry, and ha has made mention that it's the best way to carry for him, while in his chair.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

TRX
    My wife had the gangrene gall bladder thing about fifteen years ago and nearly died. Wound up with a foot-long scar from the procedure, like a gutted fish.

I wouldn't mind, except it's sort of hooked at the end. For what it cost us, I expected a nice straight incision, and some nice needlework instead of those nasty staples...

Glad to see you're better, and from what I've gathered, if you make if through the surgery you shouldn't have any trouble. It kind of creeped me out, though... I'd never thought that individual organs could just up and die and then rot in place.

I'm sort of like the Jerry Lewis character in "The Disorderly Orderly." I try not to know any more about medical stuff than I have to, but I'm afraid not to know...

First, let me say get well quickly and I hope you recover fully with little discomfort.

I met a gentleman with a degenerative spinal condition that had been in a chair for 15 or so years after being on crutches and leg braces for his entire life. He carried a G26 with an additional G19 mag in a fanny pack type rig on the front of his torso and a J Frame in a bag attached over his shins that I think also kept his feet/limbs restrained on the footrests. He was very adept at drawing quickly. I was impressed with his aggressiveness and determination to not be victimized.

I am able to walk around the house, but primarily use a power chair to get around with. I'm getting my left knee replaced in 6 days and the right knee probably in August. Because of the bone on bone knees, and also because I probably have a medical condition that isn't treatable that makes me feel like I will faint after standing still for a short time; I've been using a power wheelchair for several years.

Having said that, and giving self defense considerable thought.....I realize that I can't drive the chair and shoot at the same time. Both activities use my strong side hand. So I would have to alternate shooting and moving (to good cover, hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly13 View Post
    I am able to walk around the house, but primarily use a power chair to get around with. I'm getting my left knee replaced in 6 days and the right knee probably in August. Because of the bone on bone knees, and also because I probably have a medical condition that isn't treatable that makes me feel like I will faint after standing still for a short time; I've been using a power wheelchair for several years.

Having said that, and giving self defense considerable thought.....I realize that I can't drive the chair and shoot at the same time. Both activities use my strong side hand. So I would have to alternate shooting and moving (to good cover, hopefully).
    I hope the surgery improves your quality of life and ease of getting around DF. Can you carry a BUG for weak hand use? Do you have the use of your offside hand? I think you should consider something for that side if you are able, moving while under fire is a good asset to have and being able to return fire while mobile is even better.

I have a friend wheelchair bound for life due to a motorcycle wreck. He carries his 1911 in a shoulder holster under a jacket or a open shirt cover. Sometimes he has it in a remora holster under his left leg thigh at an angle. It works for him.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I have a customer, who is disabled and uses a wheel chair for mobility. He carrys a Glock 36 appendix carry, and ha has made mention that it's the best way to carry for him, while in his chair.
    I, too, find AIWB to be the better waistband carry method as it avoids problems with the arms. I also find ankle carry to be a good method. Have you tried that?
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sometimes I have to use MY CHAIR,I carry a 1911at 9'oclock,and if I need to draw will flip the chair arm out of the way allowing me complete access just like I was sitting in a chair with no arms
    Doesn't that add a bit (lot?) of time to the draw?
    bfboy likes this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links