What got you started?

This is a discussion on What got you started? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As my wife and I were on our way for her first time at a range, she asked if I would be upset if she ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: What got you started?

What got you started?

As my wife and I were on our way for her first time at a range, she asked if I would be upset if she did not like it (shooting) Then she asked why I do.
    My mind (which can be a scary thing) went from that and was curious is there a common denominator as to why so many people not only get involved with guns, but decide to protect their families by carrying.

I would especially like to hear if someone got started due to a altercation where you were a victim. Not that I want any gory details, just curious if that was the final straw.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

2. Remove Ads

It wasn't for me. My dad was a gun guy so growing up I was around them from an early age and liked them from day one. My mother however wasn't anti-gun, but she had no interest in them and was that way for most of my life. It wasn't up until a few years ago that she decided to carry and get into guns head first. She was in her car at the Dollar Store and the window was down about half way and this meth head asked her for some change and became physically and verbally aggressive when she said no. She drove off and that day she came home and decided she was going to get a gun, asked my dad and I tons of questions, and signed up for her CWP class and my sister decided to join her. Now they both carry almost every day.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

When it looked like guns might become an endangered species, I figured I had better get one while I can. You know, the old "Better to get one and not need it then to need one and not have one" thing. One led to 2, led to 3 and then a special deal at a gun show from a guy I knew who did CC classes got me and a few friends to have him do a private class at one guy's house that was out in the country so we could do the whole thing in one day at one location. Did photos, fingerprints, forms, notary, class and certificates along with the live fire portion and we were set!
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    my fahter got me into shooting when i was a pre-teen. bagged my first elk when i was 14. bagged a bear when i was 18. so shootin's in my blood so to speak.

however, the reason i got my CCW i already posted awhile back... and yes, it was a violent encounter, fortunately a pretty mild one as far as such things go...

why I carry.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

............moving from Los Angeles (where one really needs a means of self defense - which is nearly impossible), to Arizona, where the state respects my rights as an individual
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Was kind of a wild kid local police got tired of me an put me into their cadet program. Than went to academy than drafted was MP came out back to force this was all in 60's an 70's had to quit to make more money with four sons to raise. I have been carrying ever since. Went through quite a few carry weapons. Have settled it down to a few. Still like the .357 for most days.

My dad was a gun guy we hunted together. I think he gave me my own first gun in like 4th grade it was a .22/20 ga OU

VIP Member
    I didn't grow up around guns and my family was neither vocally pro or anti. When I was about 24, I was working for my father in his small package delivery business in New York City and we started to deliver video tapes to local video stores. Most of the deliveries involved COD payments from the stores. A typical day would see receipts of $10,000 to $20,000 coming into our office from all the delivery drivers. I applied for a concealed carry permit in New York City, and was granted a Business Premise license. Most likely, I would have been approved for a conceal carry permit, but my cousin, who also worked in the business (my Dad and uncle were partners), got the carry permit before me, and the police department didn't want to issue a 2nd carry permit for the same business.

Once I had my premise permit, I fell in love with guns. Over the years, I've owned quite a few and also sold a few, including a Colt Python, Sig P226, Colt Officers, Springfield XD 9, several different Tauruses, Khars, a Beretta, and several Glocks. Also since that first permit, I've lived in Florida, California, Colorado, and Texas. I've always felt it was important to defend myself and my loved ones, and today, I live in Texas and carry a Glock 30 SF, 3rd Gen. I will never live in a state that denies the constitutional right to carry, or is a 'may-issue' state.

Now that you've gotten me started, try to make me stop!
    LuvMyPX4, tdave and gatorbait51 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I have been shooting guns for over sixty years and have owned guns for over fifty years. I spent twenty-two years in the military. Up until 1992, we lived in may issue states and did not carry guns unless we were camping, hunting, or target shooting. At the about same time the state we lived in changed to a shall issue state, my wife and I were four-wheel driving in the desert hills and came across some really sketchy looking guys. I turned around and they jumped in their old pickups and chased us back to the paved highway. My wife and I got our permits and have carried ever since.
    LuvMyPX4 and gatorbait51 like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    I didn't grow up around guns and my family was neither vocally pro or anti. When I was about 24, I was working for my father in his small package delivery business in New York City and we started to deliver video tapes to local video stores. Most of the deliveries involved COD payments from the stores. A typical day would see receipts of $10,000 to $20,000 coming into our office from all the delivery drivers. I applied for a concealed carry permit in New York City, and was granted a Business Premise license. Most likely, I would have been approved for a conceal carry permit, but my cousin, who also worked in the business (my Dad and uncle were partners), got the carry permit before me, and the police department didn't want to issue a 2nd carry permit for the same business.

Once I had my premise permit, I fell in love with guns. Over the years, I've owned quite a few and also sold a few, including a Colt Python, Sig P226, Colt Officers, Springfield XD 9, several different Tauruses, Khars, a Beretta, and several Glocks. Also since that first permit, I've lived in Florida, California, Colorado, and Texas. I've always felt it was important to defend myself and my loved ones, and today, I live in Texas and carry a Glock 30 SF, 3rd Gen. I will never live in a state that denies the constitutional right to carry, or is a 'may-issue' state.

am i the only one angry that the NYPD "didn't want to issue a second license to the same business" ....??? who the flip do these people think they are? i am continually astounded at the blatant trampling of our rights by these frickin states.

i'm sorry Ben, i appreciate your story and i'm glad your one of us. but i am just disgusted every time i read somehting like that... i could rant this all night, but i won't
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

My family were always elk hunters, so the house had a few rifles, plus the old heirloom .410 single shot and worn-out .32 Iver Johnson pocket revolver.

My significantly older brother, had a very pro-gun professor in college (mining engineering) and started into buying spree during his first job. Some of the first real guns I ever fired (age 10 or so) were a Broomhandle Mauser and a Luger. He gave my Dad his Ruger Single-Six as a "friend" when we were going to drive from Susanville, CA back to Denver Metro. This happen to coincide with an outbreak of mountain lions around our foothills home, so gun carrying began to be a daily occurrence. A 13, my dad bought me a .38 Enfield No2, Mk I*, which I carried religiously until age 21.
    Last edited by WebleyHunter; March 19th, 2014 at 07:18 PM.

I grew up in Louisiana and the state motto of "Sportsman Paradise" is really true. For as long as I can remember, there was a gun rack in my bedroom with a couple of rifles or shotguns there. One was a Jap Arisaka Type 99 that my father had brought back from WW-II that he had had sporterized. Unfortunately, I don't have that one anymore -- it "went missing" somewhere along the way. My maternal grandfather had been a sheriff, so she had a nickel plated S&W in .44 special that he had carried "back in the day".

So, basically I have either owned or been around firearms all my life.

Over the years I've been on the wrong side of two burglaries, two muggings and a car-jacking. That last item combined with the fact that it was starting to look like it was going to get harder to arm myself finally caused me to get my butt in gear. The fact that I also enjoy shooting is a bonus.
    --If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin’.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post

Do the moderators limit you to a 100 words? 2000? Don't stop on my account.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

My pessimistic view of our countries future started the process. Then a good friend of my told me of his HD options. I researched a lot before buying my first handgun. After taking my wife a couple times to the range, she wanted her own handgun. We both got our CC license and now I have my own CC handgun. We like going to the range (she not as much) and working on our technique. Someone told me that you will never stop with just one gun (that has been true with us). We have 3 handguns and 1 shotgun.

I was raised in an “anti-gun” environment. So this was a big deal for me.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links