What apps do you use for Defensive Carry / firearms any good new ones out there?

What apps do you use for Defensive Carry / firearms any good new ones out there?

This is a discussion on What apps do you use for Defensive Carry / firearms any good new ones out there? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will get this out of the way, I have an iPhone. ( not to get into the debate about tracking bla bla bla ) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: What apps do you use for Defensive Carry / firearms any good new ones out there?

VIP Member

I will get this out of the way, I have an iPhone. ( not to get into the debate about tracking bla bla bla )
    I have a couple nice apps that I enjoy.

"GUN LOG" ( keeps track of my guns and serial numbers )
    "CCW" has 50 state CCW laws not always up to date but pretty good
    "ballistics" by Winchester
    "bullet drop"
    'iHunt" calls
    "U.S. reference" a must for Americans has citizenship,branches of government and all fundamental documents

What do you have that you like or what to stay away from

I like free apps if the ads are not so bad.
    Jeanlouise and sirgilligan like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I wouldn't do that. Besides the fact that too many "law enforcement" outfits help themselves to snapshots of your phone, it could be stolen or lost.

Almost anyone else who sees that information in your phone is someone you probably don't want to pass that kind of information on to...

The only gun related app I use is shot timer.....
    oldskeetshooter likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I use an app called CCW - Concealed Carry 50 State Guide. I use it when I travel. It has reciprocity information, a summary of laws in each state, excerpts from statutes in each state, frequently asked questions, and links to the applicable state websites.

It is $1.99 and money well spent if you travel a lot IMO.

Distinguished Member
    I use Legal Heat, cost me 99 cents, but worth it. Very good updated info on all 50 states gun laws and reciprocity.
    MrBuckwheat, DC, expydude and 1 others like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

VIP Member
    Why would I want an app like those? I don't own any guns, they scare me!!!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Instead of all the little apps, why don't you spend a couple of bucks on Mas Ayoob's book (remember those?) "In the Gravest Extreme" and educate yourself on actually functioning in the CC arena while remaining within legal guidelines? Priceless information and tips in legal parameters if and when you need to use that weapon to defend yourself or loved ones.
    oakchas, Martini13 and TVJ like this.
    -- Robert
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I will get this out of the way, I have an iPhone. ( not to get into the debate about tracking bla bla bla )
    I have a couple nice apps that I enjoy.

"CCW" has 50 state CCW laws not always up to date but pretty good
    "ballistics" by Winchester
    "bullet drop"
    'iHunt" calls
    "U.S. reference" a must for Americans has citizenship,branches of government and all fundamental documents

What do you have that you like or what to stay away from

I like free apps if the ads are not so bad.
    ok, the 50 state gun laws is pretty smart.
    the "US REFERANCE" sounds like it could be useful.

the one that keeps track of your guns seems total folly for the above reason, also, do you REALLY have so many guns you can't keep track of them all? and why keep track of serial #'s? you have the documents from the purchase, right? so...? i fail to see a purpose...?

"Ballistics"
    and "Bullet Drop" are taking-a-deuce-on-the-toilet reading material, not "i-gotta-have-it-on-my-person" material, IMO.

"iHUNT" - an APP for animals calls? really? REALLY? REALLY?!? like, hunting has lost a bit of it's sportsmanship, IMO, due to modern scent masks, electronic calls, magnum rifles w/ UBER scopes, etc. now we are going to use our IPhones to call in the turkeys? that not hunting. that's cheating. and doing it off your smart phone is fundamentally wrong. sorry. My opinion. not knocking you. but the fact that APP even exists kind of offends me. i grew up in wilderness, and repsect an animals abilities and the fact it should have a fair chance of escaping me killing it. lets not bring our dang "smart devices" into it. rant off.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    If I catch someone using a smart phone turkey call, they're going to see me use the skeet app on their phone.

Good for one use only (if you are a decent shot)
    DingBat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Tough crowd today. Is there a full moon or something?

VIP Member
    If someone decides they're going to use a skeet call on my phone for using it as a call I guess I'll be forced to use the body bag call in return. (Threatening to shoot me for using a phone as a call makes me mad- even if I only use the call to mess with my dogs and don't actually hunt )
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I used my phone to record pics of my guns along with the serial # on a SD card then removed the SD card put it in safe place and new SD card put in phone.
    CanuckQue, CWOUSCG and DingBat like this.

Distinguished Member
    I am very new to guns, What I have been looking for is a free app that has the guns with a brief description of them.
    DingBat likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    If someone decides they're going to use a skeet call on my phone for using it as a call I guess I'll be forced to use the body bag call in return. (Threatening to shoot me for using a phone as a call makes me mad- even if I only use the call to mess with my dogs and don't actually hunt )

Umm...skeet is a shotgun sport, not an animal.

Want to go on a snipe hunt?
    DingBat likes this.

VIP Member
    Wow tough crowd most of my apps were free.

I feel the need to explain the iHunt calls, first of all its illegal to use to hunt with. It is designed for teaching the sound. I have several calls and was not 100% sure on how to make the calls sound. Its also fun to play for the dogs and neighbor hood geese.

The gun log in encrypted and requires a pass code. My reason would be if a gun got stolen I would have the information with me at all times. But I can see your points and my consider getting rid of it.

The bullet drop and ballistics are for my match shooting. We shoot "across the course" and there are NO sighter shots. I have shot in the Worlds and US Nationals. I use the app to determine how far my bullet drops at certain distances. Its not 100% exact but gets me very close. Several practice areas we shoot at are over large bodies of water with a huge dirt back stop. If you shoot over the backstop you could have a problem so its nice to have a way to double check your elevation and bullet drop before you pull the trigger. The way the ranges are set you may not have an option to shoot at 300 yards or less. I have logs for all my match rifles so I pretty much know how many clicks up or down but we like to double check for safety.

I am looking for a better 50 state CCW app that gets good updates.

I forgot to tell you about a shooting app that uses (your going to hate this) your location and current weather conditions for adjusting your elevation and windage. its pretty creepy but kind of interesting as it helps you " read the wind" . No real way to do it but it helps you LEARN to read the wind.

thanks, buckanator out!
    DingBat likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links