Going Home from church incident Wednesday night

Going Home from church incident Wednesday night

This is a discussion on Going Home from church incident Wednesday night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wednesday evening going home from church the wife and me are in the car when we round a curve thus coming up on a license ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: Going Home from church incident Wednesday night

Exclamation Going Home from church incident Wednesday night

Wednesday evening going home from church the wife and me are in the car when we round a curve thus coming up on a license check. When the state trooper walked up to my car I had my license and cc permit in hand with window down and both hands on the steering wheel. As North Carolina state law dictates you have to make the Leo aware you have a cc permit and then make him aware that you do in fact have a conceal firearm.

When he approached he asked for my license and I told him first as I handed him my papers, licenses that I had a concealed carry permit and I had a weapon on my person. He said loudly "gun" towards the other officer standing off to the rear right hand passenger side of my vehicle that's was there in a tactual position and to look at vehicle tags to see if they were out of date. Anyway when he said gun I looked over my shoulder and noticed that the officer at the rear had pulled his pistol and it was aimed at the high ready position at me and my wife's direction. I slowly turned my head back over to the trooper checking my credentials and stated to him why he said that? And that could have made the other trooper shoot me or my wife. He stated something like are you questioning me. I took my license back and said nothing else as he told me to move on. I felt my life or wife's was in danger because of this incident.

I'm a 55 year old guy that drives a nice 2008 Buick clean and I and my wife had dress clothes on so we did not look or act out as criminals. I was calm during the whole process. I worked 30 years and 1 month in law enforcement retiring as a sergeant so I know what expected when stopped but this was over the edge IMHO. I'm completely following the law and could have been shot at a license check over a pistol permit. I informed the officer I had a permit first and made no moves. Geeze what a thought , get shot following the law..
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

There was no reason for that gun proclamation and with a more antsy partner could well have gotten you and your wife shot. Officer was and is a loose cannon that will likely one day cause a tragedy because he likes to flex muscle and intimidate where there is flatly no reason.

Edited to add I would probably call his post commander and relate the incident. There was no reason whatsoever for that officers actions. It was look at me Im a big bad LEO and nothing more. Had he had any real concerns he would have disarmed you instead of trying to scare you and your wife with his audition to get on COPS on TV.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    You might have a chat with the head of his office about the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Wednesday evening going home from church the wife and me are in the car when we round a curve thus coming up on a license check. When the state trooper walked up to my car I had my license and cc permit in hand with window down and both hands on the steering wheel. As North Carolina state law dictates you have to make the Leo aware you have a cc permit and then make him aware that you do in fact have a conceal firearm. When he approached he asked for my license and I told him first as I handed him my papers, licenses that I had a concealed carry permit and I had a weapon on my person. He said loudly "gun" towards the other officer standing off to the rear right hand passenger side of my vehicle that's was there in a tactual position and to look at vehicle tags to see if they were out of date. Anyway when he said gun I looked over my shoulder and noticed that the officer at the rear had pulled his pistol and it was aimed at the high ready position at me and my wife's direction. I slowly turned my head back over to the trooper checking my credentials and stated to him why he said that? And that could have made the other trooper shoot me or my wife. He stated something like are you questioning me. I took my license back and said nothing else as he told me to move on. I felt my life or wife's was in danger because of this incident. I'm a 55 year old guy that drives a nice 2008 Buick clean and I and my wife had dress clothes on so we did not look or act out as criminals. I was calm during the whole process. I worked 30 years and 1 month in law enforcement retiring as a sergeant so I know what expected when stopped but this was over the edge IMHO. I'm completely following the law and could have been shot at a license check over a pistol permit. I informed the officer I had a permit first and made no moves. Geeze what a thought , get shot following the law..
    License-check checkpoints are illegal everywhere in the US according the Supreme Court. Simply using the road is not cause to pull you over. You have grounds for a lawsuit against the state beginning with a challenge to the Checkpoint-Plan. Also the police here acted recklessly, you have grounds to sue them personally and the department. I suggest you get your lawyer on the phone asap.
    ccw9mm, baren, Enzo411 and 16 others like this.

Its strange the difference in states LE. KSP for the most part, all the ones Ive had any dealings with anyway, if you tell them you have a concealed weapon you usually get a bored " Ok, let me see your DL insurance and registation" Or " Doesnt everyone???" and on with checking DL In Reg. Never been asked for the gun or the CCDW.

Could be we have no duty to inform. And the fact they know anyway if they pulled you and ran your tag that you have a CCDW. Im sure there are few nervous nellies around the state but Ive never ran into one.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

This is ridiculous. Makes me angry and they should get in trouble for that.
    Some people should go back through training.

I think that a professional letter of official complaint from a former LEO with your qualifications might help to prevent other such incidents.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Pulled you over for a license check? So much for a free country. And yea, the original officer over-reacted IMO. The others not so much because all they heard was "Gun!" so I would expect them to react.

And FWIW my instructor explained a traffic stop that we were to inform the officer of our CCW but not that we had to present our permit or tell them we were carrying. That's WV and Ohio though.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Putin invaded North Carolina? I missed that part.

"License please"
    "No thank you Sir. This is America"
    Roll the window up and call your attorney with your location.
    bfboy, BenGoodLuck and ep1953 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Richard58: First off, thank you for your years of putting up with crap and protecting others!! I agree that the first Trooper over-reacted. (the other trooper, probably from his position couldn't clearly see you?).

I would think that a friendly visit to HIS sergeant, from a retired sergeant, might help to convince him that there is a big difference between a thug with a gun stuck in his waistband, and a law-abiding citizen with his permit.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Norm66 View Post
    Pulled you over for a license check? So much for a free country. And yea, the original officer over-reacted IMO. The others not so much because all they heard was "Gun!" so I would expect them to react.

And FWIW my instructor explained a traffic stop that we were to inform the officer of our CCW but not that we had to present our permit or tell them we were carrying. That's WV and Ohio though.
    No not pulled over. In North Carolina LE conducts license checks at times out on the roads. They set up a sort of road block in an area such as over in a hill or along a straight away after going around a curve to conceal their cover of doing such. I have seen as many as 5 or 6 Leo at such a check. They can work both directions at the same time stopping cars as they roll up on the check. Checking for drunks, vehicle tags and DL that are out if date, people not wearing seat belts, children not in car seats, or what ever they see that is unlawfully in accordance to state law. Sometimes around big events such as a nascar race at the Charlotte motor speedway they arrest a lot of folks drunk driving. The state will have around forty troopers on special duty, concord city will have extras at the race along with county deputies to maintain safety. I mean they are hauling drunks to jail by the bus loads at a big event. If they suspect DWI they sometimes have a big converted motor home with a Crew doing alcohol breath checks with machines on board. They also usually have a few Leo sitting in squad cars to chase down cars that turn around when they see checks in progress. Usually ever Friday or Saturday nights they set these checks up and arrest a lot of drunks driving. But it can be done at anytime day or night. I seen them during the day also but not as much. So stopped at a check not pulled over. That's how I had time to get my credentials out for the Leo to see due to maybe five cars in front of me at the check.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    Definitely sounds like the first LEO over reacted. The second LEO I can understand his reaction. As others have said, a visit/letter to first LEO's superior sounds like it might be in order.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wow. Here we have occasional, well publicized DUI checkpoints, but they're always late at night.
    BenGoodLuck and USM1976 like this.

VIP Member
    As North Carolina state law dictates you have to make the Leo aware you have a cc permit and then make him aware that you do in fact have a conceal firearm.
    Did NC get inputs from Bloomberg when drafting their law? I can understand informing when carrying, but have to inform just because you have permit?? If you're walking down the street and get stopped by a LEO do you have to inform him you have a drivers license? Sounds like it is time for some "Common Sense" gun laws in NC.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by IWIWBig View Post
    Putin invaded North Carolina? I missed that part.

"License please"
    "No thank you Sir. This is America"
    Roll the window up and call your attorney with your location.
    That America is quickly becoming the new unimproved AMERIKA..O'Barry's Amerika.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links