How is your aim?

This is a discussion on How is your aim? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started my shooting career (all 4 months of it) aiming by lining up the back and front sights so my target is just above ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: How is your aim?

How is your aim?

I started my shooting career (all 4 months of it) aiming by lining up the back and front sights so my target is just above the W formed by the sights.

Then when someone said when you draw, keep both eyes open and aim with the front sight.

Now my glasses have enough layers to make two eyed aiming almost impossible. I either have two sets of back sights, or two front sights., so i always have to close my weak side eye.

I have tried though to aim off the front sight only, and I can't figure it out.

Does someone have a diagram or an easy to read how to cheat sheet for the front sight aiming?

When I am inside the barn, I always hit one of the sides, and usually the one I am aiming at. It would be nice to be able to acquire the target and hit it faster.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

2. Remove Ads

I run into the same issue with my glasses. Not as bad but close and I've had to really work hard to figure out where exactly I'm aiming with both eyes open. Now that I've got the hang of it I wish I had all that ammo back to shoot again.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

My wife says it is horrible...
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

COM.png
    With my Beretta PX4 that picture would put one Center of Chest (COC) ;-)

Make sure you are holding the pistol level between your eyes and your target.. not lower with and scrunching your neck down.. that will make your rounds hit very low.
    ie.. bring the pistol up, not the head down to get the sight picture.. focus on the front sight with the back only giving objects to put the front between. hope that helps
    LuvMyPX4, BamaT and BenGoodLuck like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Try holding your gun in your right hand. Place the gun at about 15 deg to the right. Hold your head facing straight forward and turn your eyes until you see the sights, keeping both eyes open. You should be looking out of your right eye at the sights. Now, hold your gun in your left hand and do the same thing, both eyes open. You should now be looking at the sights with your left eye. It takes practice, but this should train you to have both eyes open. Keeping both eyes open is important so you don't lose depth of perception. It also helps to eliminate tunnel vision.

Don't worry about the rear sights, or the target. You want to see the front sight. This may sound weird, but that's how you do it.

Edit: Sights make a difference. You may want to look at these, or something similar. https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...t1.php?id=HDNS

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    I started my shooting career (all 4 months of it) aiming by lining up the back and front sights so my target is just above the W formed by the sights.

Then when someone said when you draw, keep both eyes open and aim with the front sight.

Now my glasses have enough layers to make two eyed aiming almost impossible. I either have two sets of back sights, or two front sights., so i always have to close my weak side eye.

I have tried though to aim off the front sight only, and I can't figure it out.

Does someone have a diagram or an easy to read how to cheat sheet for the front sight aiming?

When I am inside the barn, I always hit one of the sides, and usually the one I am aiming at. It would be nice to be able to acquire the target and hit it faster.
    LuvMyPX4 and BenGoodLuck like this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    No glasses yet. I focus on the front sight and likely close my non-dominant eye; if I think about my eyes I'm not keeping focus on the front sight. I've been shooting handguns for 26 years
    LuvMyPX4 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    Just remember, what your told is suggestions. Try it and see if it works for you. If not disregard and do what works best for you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i was blessed enbough to get laser corrective surgery about 4 years ago now, best money i ever spent.

that said, i was a dual astigmatism-blind as a bat, coke bottle glasses waering kid. i learned to shoot both eyes open, both with irons and thorugh scopes. The thing i learned it to train your brain to diregard the image your weak eye is seeing. it's almost like your seeing and focusing thorugh your strong eye, and only using your weak eye as/for peripheral vision. This is how "both eyes open" speed up target acquisition with optics.

a simple way to practice, is to look at anything, your computer screen will work, and (it's a bit of a muscle work-out), but keeping your domineant eye open all the way, try to squint JUST your weak eye... and then force your brain to "focus" through your domant, open eye. then blink and close your dom eye, but leaving the weak one squinty-open. the images will shift. keep opening and closing your dom eye keeping the weak one squinty. keep doing this until your brain can bounce back and forth and easily focus on the targets/images you want w/out losing them or confusing/overlapping/seperating them.

EDIT- just read that, clear as mud, sorry for confusing the issue...

ill let those who actually teach about front sight shooting cover that.....
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    This is a good video to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    i was blessed enbough to get laser corrective surgery about 4 years ago now, best money i ever spent.

that said, i was a dual astigmatism-blind as a bat, coke bottle glasses waering kid. i learned to shoot both eyes open, both with irons and thorugh scopes. The thing i learned it to train your brain to diregard the image your weak eye is seeing. it's almost like your seeing and focusing thorugh your strong eye, and only using your weak eye as/for peripheral vision. This is how "both eyes open" speed up target acquisition with optics.

a simple way to practice, is to look at anything, your computer screen will work, and (it's a bit of a muscle work-out), but keeping your domineant eye open all the way, try to squint JUST your weak eye... and then force your brain to "focus" through your domant, open eye. then blink and close your dom eye, but leaving the weak one squinty-open. the images will shift. keep opening and closing your dom eye keeping the weak one squinty. keep doing this until your brain can bounce back and forth and easily focus on the targets/images you want w/out losing them or confusing/overlapping/seperating them.

EDIT- just read that, clear as mud, sorry for confusing the issue...

ill let those who actually teach about front sight shooting cover that.....
    DingBat's got the right idea, for sure. To take it a step farther, get an empty paper towel tube. Look through it with your dominant eye with your weak eye closed, and pick something small across the room to focus on. Close your weak eye until you are focused, then slowly open your weak eye, concentrating on the image you are seeing through the tube. When it works, you will see the image in the tube primarily and your brain will handle inputs from your weak eye as if they are peripheral vision. This will help you to focus with your dominant eye, which will in turn make you more effective when you focus on the front sight. Just my .02...
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I keep my eyes open when I shoot...I didn't know there was any other way???
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    ...Does someone have a diagram or an easy to read how to cheat sheet for the front sight aiming?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    My wife says it is horrible...
    LuvMyPX4 and 1 old 0311 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Thanks Chief1297 & BenGoodLuck. I somehow knew that question would bring out the colorful replies, even if it wasn't my intent.
    Thanks for the laugh either way. lol
    Chief1297 and BenGoodLuck like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    DingBat's got the right idea, for sure. To take it a step farther, get an empty paper towel tube. Look through it with your dominant eye with your weak eye closed, and pick something small across the room to focus on. Close your weak eye until you are focused, then slowly open your weak eye, concentrating on the image you are seeing through the tube. When it works, you will see the image in the tube primarily and your brain will handle inputs from your weak eye as if they are peripheral vision. This will help you to focus with your dominant eye, which will in turn make you more effective when you focus on the front sight. Just my .02...
    That's a GREAT idea with the paper tube! i knew somebody could make it make more sense than i did...
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    That's a GREAT idea with the paper tube! i knew somebody could make it make more sense than i did...
    I cheated... I coached both rifle and pistol in the Marines, and learned many things while doing so.
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links