Oy, the wait is killing me - Page 3

Oy, the wait is killing me

This is a discussion on Oy, the wait is killing me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay update on this case. TXDPS sent me a letter today stating my application was incomplete because, get this, I did not sign the back ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Okay update on this case. TXDPS sent me a letter today stating my application was incomplete because, get this, I did not sign the back of one of my photos.

They very thoughtfully however taped one of my photos to the letter. I signed it in a bold black Sharpie marker and will take it back to the post office tonight. I knew something would go wrong, but at least it was very mild.

I noticed however the letter was dated the 24th but I got it on the 31st. Typical goverment efficiency. This has probably added untold days to my total processing time.

On the bright side it means they opened my application packet much sooner than I thought they would.

I'm sending it off tonight and crossing my fingers and hoping the next letter from the DPS is good news.

I do not recall anywhere in the instructions where it says you must sign the back of your photograph but now I know I guess.

Assistant Administrator
    Oh my - what a saga! It is chronic the way so many ''permits'' - (those things that supposedly make your pre-existing right confirmed!!!!) take forever. I hope your wait will soon be over Euc'.

Firstly - I consider my 20 minutes of time spent at Sheriff's office originally, a very easy option - admittedly we have no specific training requirement tho I have shot for ever and have NRA cert. My wife at last got hers a month or two ago - she was there barely 30 minutes. I trained her long ago (make of that what you will!!).

I am waiting on my FL non-res ...... probably be late May before I see that. I was (I thought) scrupulous in my care over submitting all things ''just so''... but had a letter back saying they wanted proof of my 90 days+ residency in PA. What? I sent a utility bill from late last year! So guess they lost it! I reprinted that one and threw in an extra from many months before. Thus far have heard no more and just hope the application is going thru.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks P95. The whole point of this thread is to show how ridiculous this whole process is. Even in a supposedly gun friendly state (Texas is not a gun friendly state by any stretch), a person who has already undergone criminal background checks, who already has prints on file, who the public trusts with the supervision of large numbers of minors en loco parentis, is having this much trouble.

Is it the end of the world? No, but it shows how ridiculous this whole thing is. Someone else in worse circumstances could pay the price for this kind of nonsense with their life.

Assistant Administrator
    Euc' - I'll wager the term ''public servants'' grates with you as it does with so many. For you and others in a similar situation, one is bound to wonder whether conspiracies abound - departmental complacencies, apathies, generation of hurdles just ''cos they can''. Worse it seems for you as they have prints and background checks etc - makes them pretty much fresh outa excuses - you'd think! :(

It is appalling, and makes us realize how far down the slippery slope we are even now, in all too many ways. I'll run ''Ol' Glory'' straight up the flagstaff when I see your post saying it is done and over with! :D
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

True enough. I do think this whole process could be more reasonably handled at a much lower fee with a 6-8 week turnaround time and a streamlined process.

I figure the best I can do is hold out until I get it and then show the state of Texas that ordinary responsible people are interested in their right to carry. There won't be any change until some more people get involved and get their permit and their TSRA membership.

Yeah I know it's BS we have to have a permit and a TSRA but change happens one small step at a time.

JT
    I got my last renewal sent back because the notary stamped it but didnít sign it. Thankfully I did it well ahead of the expiration date so I was able to get the corrected forms in and processed before my license expired.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Someone else in worse circumstances could pay the price for this kind of nonsense with their life.
    From the ''public servants'' perspective...what's the hurry...they already have their guns!!

Not sure what you mean by "worse circumstances", but I'm assuming you're referring to someone having a legitimate fear for their life. I gotta be honest here folks, there is no law or lack of some permit that would ever stop me from packin' if I had a reason to believe my life was in danger!

Truth is I made a conscious decision over twenty five years ago to carry a gun (yes illegally)...not because I couldn't have jumped through the legal hoops, but because until recently, the legal options were just not available to people of my social status. I have always felt the risk was worth it!!

Do I feel relieved today that I carry legally...of coarse...I never realized the weight that would be lifted having carried all those years. But the reality is, as long as there are places in this country like Kalifornia and others that don't buy in to 2nd amendment or reciprocity, I continue to carry when forced to visit these states....the lives of me and my loved one's are worth it!! That's just a personal choice I've made and a risk I'm willing to live with.

So be patient Euc...no amount of bitchin' or whining about the system will make it happen any faster, and will only serve to torment you until the day your "golden ring" arrives!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Deke I see where you're coming from, but I can't afford the legal risks. I'm so clean I squeak and I have to keep it that way if I want to keep my job.

Red face

Euclidean.....I got mine last year...applied in April and it took about 6 wks. They used to have a website where you could monitor the progress of the application. Maybe you got an "anti-gunner" handling your app....be patient, it'll get there. I too have wondered why it takes as long as it does...I've maintained all my Govt security clearances for 30 years...there's probably a pile of paperwork on me saying I'm a trustworthy good ole boy, but they just never know...I could be a psychomilitantcommieterroristdrugrunner!!! LOL!

JT
    When I got my initial license my instructor said there were just a couple of ladies down in Austin handling all the applications. He said there were nice ladies who were competent in their jobs and did them well, they were just over worked. I talked to one of them once about an address change and she seemed competent and helpful. I donít know if they have more people on staff now, but I suspect the length of time it takes to get it done has more to do with not enough people for the work load than any incompetence on the part of the people there.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In the time it took for them to send you the forms

you could have gotten the forms, filled the out, mailed, and received Florida permit.

Secamp that's probably the easier thing to do.

The trouble I have with that is if I do that, it's basically telling the state of Texas I don't care about what the state of Texas thinks about my right to carry.

Now if I lived in a state where it really was a tremendous pain like Missouri, yeah I'd have gone Out of State in a heartbeat.

As much as I'm whining it's really not all that terrible. And in the long term I'd like the Texas program to look more like the Arizona or Florida program.

Quote Originally Posted by secamp32
    you could have gotten the forms, filled the out, mailed, and received Florida permit.
    Still not a bad idea! Go to packing.org and see what states you gain by either a Florida or Utah permit. Extra coverage never hurts if ya get around.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Smile I WOULD get a home state permit .ie Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    The trouble I have with that is if I do that, it's basically telling the state of Texas I don't care about what the state of Texas thinks about my right to carry.
    But if you had done Florida at the same time you wouldn't be so aggravated over the delay. And you could be carrying now instead of 3 months from now. I think everyone should get a home state permit if its available to boost the numbers and show support for their state. Waiting is always the hardest part (except in NY). I have 5 permits and everytime I applied for another 1, everyday its "Where's the mail! Did my XYZ pemit come?" Even when I wasn't planning on visiting that state. NH and PA were the best. 2 weeks round trip. NY was the worst, almost a year.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

I think I'd be in the same boat actually. Florida's permits seem to take about 90 days round trip as well, or am I mistaken about that?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links