Oy, the wait is killing me - Page 4

Oy, the wait is killing me

This is a discussion on Oy, the wait is killing me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by secamp32 you could have gotten the forms, filled the out, mailed, and received Florida permit. Regardless of what other permits you have, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oy, the wait is killing me

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by secamp32
    you could have gotten the forms, filled the out, mailed, and received Florida permit.
    Regardless of what other permits you have, I think you should have a permit in the State in which you live. If everyone got out of state permits, the politicians (in your State) very well may not think it is a popular issue and not work to improve it. When it turns out a lot of people are on the roles the politicians start seeing them as a powerful voters' block that will burn their ass in an election if they mess with the law....

What we should do is everyone get a permit in every state we are allowed to.
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I think my Florida permit took 58 days

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I think I'd be in the same boat actually. Florida's permits seem to take about 90 days round trip as well, or am I mistaken about that?
    But I thought you said that it took 90 days just to get the forms? Or was that total turnaround time?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Assistant Administrator
    The forms come thru quite quick - I procured mine on line. They came in mail within a week IIRC.

The turn around time tho is quoted as ''allow 90 days''. Supposedly faster if prints done electronically. I did a std print card and so expect mine will take quite a while to get done.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by secamp32
    But I thought you said that it took 90 days just to get the forms? Or was that total turnaround time?
    Oh I see your confusion.

It was 3.5 weeks (a month) to get the packet in the mail. I am for the sake of assuming things, assuming that I started the process formally January 11, 2005 when I paid the application fee and applied online.

I assume if one were to request form from Florida they should realistically expect a 1-2 week wait, which is entirely reasonable.

I can only hope someone else will consult this thread one day and learn what to expect more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    The Florida permit sounds like something a lot of people should look at.
    A lot of people do.

If not for VA and SC I wouldnt have bothered with my NC permit and just got the non-res FL (I think FL permits are now good in VA, but still not SC).

JT
    I donít think getting an out of state license in place of your own stateís is a good idea. Just because something is legal, doesnít mean it is the most prudent choice. Take a common scenario. You are stopped for speeding. In Texas, if you are carrying and a police officer asks for your driverís license, you are required to also give your CHL. If you are in Texas, you have to follow Texas CHL laws, so this applies even if you have an out of state CHL. So now you hand the Texas State Trooper your drivers license and your Florida concealed carry license and inform him, that yes, you have a handgun on you. Are you ready for the questions? So youíre a Texas resident, but you have a Florida CHL instead of a Texas CHL? Why? Oh, the paper work was too much of a pain in the butt? What are you trying to hide? Why could you not qualify for a Texas CHL? Sure, you could Ė step out of the car.

Of course, you will probably win in the end, but this may be after a little stay in a cell, bail posted and an attorney hired. Is it worth it? Think it canít happen? There is reciprocity, but that is designed for out of state visitors. A Texas resident with an out of state CHL in place of a Texas one throws up a red flag. I think anybody who has dealt with Texas DPS will back me up on this. The are very no nonsense.

And just imagine, if God forbid, you ever had to use your weapon. The local anti-gun DA hands over this justifiable shooting to a grand jury. Do you really want the extra questions regarding your out of state Concealed Carry License, in addition to all the other questions you will have to answer?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Excellent point JT.

Williamson County, which is gun neutral at worst, would whoop my ass for not having a Texas permit. They'd love to make an example out of me or anyone for that matter.

Going out of state as a first resort seems to be giving Texas LEOs the proverbial finger. It's also poor citizenship, because if I went that way, it's like I said, I'm sending a clear message I don't care about what my state government says about my rights.

It's a constant fight to keep our right to self expression, our rights to privacy, and our right to keep and bear arms. We all have to give some. I'm paying a ridiculous fee and going through a ridiculous process.

And then some of us, like our local range owners who lost their life savings fighting a lawsuit that could have spelled doom for shooting ranges in Texas in general, have to give all.

Compared to what some people have lost defending our rights as Americans, going through a backwards process to obtain a less than optimal permit seems trivial. And really, it is.

It's got to be a united front. We can't let Florida and Arizona do all the work.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Gentlemen, In my area of Fla.(NW) we can walk into the local sheriff's office and pick up as many info/application packages as needed. I got two cuz I seem to always make a mistake or two. The app's are pretty streight forward. BUT----you must follow the directions exactly as they are stated. Check and recheck before you mail it in. My waiting time(for the permit) was 65 days from time of mailing. My check was cashed(cleared the bank) by the state,only 9 days after mailing. I have been told by some of my students that if you have your fingerprints taken"electronically" the permit comes back to you in as little as 20-25 days from the time of mailing. The electronic fingerprints are scaned into a computer and electronically checked to see if your a BG of GG. There is no"footwork" involved so the time is cut way down. Let me just say that this is the way that I have "been told" that it's done. I don't know this for a fact.----- I also believe that a person should always obtain a CCW permit in their home state FIRST.Then,get a permit in as many other states as they need to for their work or travel. At this time I have a CCW in Maine and Fla.(I moved down here a year and a half ago.) I will keep my permit in Maine cuz I often travel to that state. My Fla. CCW is valid in ALL the states that I travel to down in the deep south. When in Maine,I sometimes go to gunshows just accross the boarder in N.H. They honor my Fla.CCW.----- I would agree that the more CCW license that are applied for helps all of us with our 2nd.Amd rights. Just like anything else,the name of the game is--- streingth in numbers.

Okay we have an update.

My status has finally changed from "Processing Application" to "No application or license/certificate active."

I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm painfully close to 90 days. I'm considering March 1 my start date even though I mailed it in before then. March 1 would be the earliest they would have gotten the materials by my estimation.

I have no idea what this means.

JT
    They didnít have the web site status feature when I applied initially. Last time I applied for a renewal, the last message I ever saw was something to the effect that it is in the mail (canít remember the exact wording). You might want to try calling them and ask what that message means. To me it sounds like either they have lost it, or it has been so long that you are not getting the ďitís in the mailĒ message, in which case you should have received it by now.

Or maybe they are just having server problems. I donít have my pin # with me, but when I get home Iíll try it and see what kind of message I get.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Euc, I've been through this three times now for Texas. It takes just as long for a renewal as the original application. Once they receive the application, your county of residence is notified, they check their/your records (at their leasure), and also other agencies to verify any child support issues, or history of spouce abuse problems, etc. The FBI is also doing their thing with the fingerprint card that was included in your packet. It takes a long time, but it's worth the wait. It will come. It took longer to get a change of address made than any of the original liscences. They say you have about 25 days to apply for a change of address and pay 25.00. I waited over 90 days for the new liscence to arrive. After thirty days, I stopped our local S.O. that patrols my neighborhood, and asked him if I was considered in violation of the law carrying a permit with a wrong address, even though I had applied within the required time limit. He entered my permit number into his car computer, and immediately informed me that the records had been changed, I shouldn't worry. About two months later, I got my new permit. Texas is a big state. Horses can travel just so far, and they need rest. I would suggest that when it is time for you to renew, locate an instructor that includes the photos, prints, the screening of the app, and notary - all in one class day. It sure saves time and worry. We have several in our area that provide this service. Good luck, be patient.

Well here's a darn thing.

I just checked it again and it says "Processing Application."

At any rate I shouldn't have much longer to wait. The law says it has to be issued by a certain point in time and I'm nearing critical mass, so to speak.

I reiterate this chronicle is for the benefit of someone who, like me, wasn't 100% sure what to expect, or exactly how long it takes for this process to work, and Texas is probably typical.

I took the class and then I applied in TN at the local DMV. The prints were taken at a seperate place by a company the state hires out to do it. TN law says I have to get my permit or be denied for one in 90 days from the date of application, I got my permit somewhere around 95 days later.

Euc:

If it helps your peace of mind at all, back when I applied in Colorado was before the "shall issue" law was in effect, so hopefully they have streamlined their process by now, but wouldn't bet money on it.

They have a 90-day turn around time here also. My permit arrived on day 89...thought it would never come. Don't know if it was intentional, or most likely, just a low priority on someone's list. Does make ya wonder when people talk about receiving theirs in a couple weeks though

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

here in fl. they have 90 days to tell you yea or nay. they said it would take 6 weeks and it did, almost to the day. by the end of the 5th week i was ready to drive 150 miles one way to save the state 37 cents postage.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links