Oy, the wait is killing me

This is a discussion on Oy, the wait is killing me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Euclidean Well here's a darn thing. I just checked it again and it says "Processing Application." At any rate I shouldn't have ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Oy, the wait is killing me

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Well here's a darn thing.

I just checked it again and it says "Processing Application."

At any rate I shouldn't have much longer to wait. The law says it has to be issued by a certain point in time and I'm nearing critical mass, so to speak.

I reiterate this chronicle is for the benefit of someone who, like me, wasn't 100% sure what to expect, or exactly how long it takes for this process to work, and Texas is probably typical.

Euclidean,

When I got mine, if I remember correctly, the website stated "License Issued" and I got it in the mail about 5 days later. I think the whole process from getting the packet from the state to CHL issuance was 61 days. I also took my CHL class prior to getting the packet from the state. The instructor had some of the paperwork with him. I know it is difficult at best to be patient but the wait is truly worth it.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

2. Remove Ads

There's one more gun on the streets.

And it's mine.

Well today, June 1, 2005, my permit showed up in a simple envelope without so much as a letter to accompany it.

My saga is finished and I am relieved. I would like to sum up my experience though:

February 26, 2005 - All required materials were sent in.

At some point in March it was necessary to sign the back of a photograph and mail it back.

June 1 - permit arrives.

I would also like to point out FWIW that I've nothing criminal on my record whatsoever, not even a juvenile charge, and I've been investigated by the FBI once already, and my prints were already on file before I applied for my CHL.

So if you're as clean as a whistle like I am, it won't speed things up at all like you might hope it would.

It's pricey, it takes a long time, but it works in the end I suppose. The best advice I feel I could give anyone interested in their first CHL is work backwards:

1. Decide what you're going to carry and purchase it. Start practicing with this gun as much as possible to make sure it's worthy of carry.

2. While you're gun shopping, learn your state's CCW laws. Don't half ass this. Study it. Know your CCW curriculum before you ever sit down and take the class. One thing I had to consider was that if I wanted to carry any pistol, I had to qualify with a semiautomatic so I practiced with a semiautomatic and my carry gun.

3. A basic pistol refresher like a brand new gun owner might take is a good idea even if you're not a brand new gun owner.

4. Try to take your CHL class with someone you have confidence in. Some of these people come on a little strong. My CHL instructor is a grandmother of four, and firearms are just another chapter in her life. I think I benefitted more from her wisdom than I did from rehashing the state law.

5. Check your paperwork 17 times and be 100% honest.

6. Expect delays. It is not a fast process.

7. Fire your carry gun every chance you get while you wait for the wheels to turn.

One thing I can stress is that it's a really awful idea to wait until you fear for your personal safety before getting your CHL. Get it as soon as you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    And it's mine.

Well today, June 1, 2005, my permit showed up in a simple envelope without so much as a letter to accompany it.
    Well Euc....let me be the first to say congrats on your new found freedom and welcome to the club! It has been a long and strenuous ordeal...for all of us!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Congrats.........The wait is terrible,but worth it in the end.
    .44 Smith & Wesson Model 29-2
    .45 Springfield GI
    .45 Springfield Champion
    .44 Special Taurus

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Assistant Administrator
    Good news indeed Euc - Yeehaw!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congrats EUC ! After a wait like that, I think you deserve a new gun. It's a good feeling.

Fantastic EUC.....my heartfelt congratulations!!! Every time I hear of another individual that has been issued a CHL, it renews my faith in the system. To have another law abiding citizen that, just by having the legal right to carry a firearm, strengthens our ability to deter crime and criminals makes me feel good. I hope that all states eventually adopt some sort of legal handgun carry license so that we may show the non believers and gun control fanatics that a law abiding citizen carrying a gun for their personal protection or protection of others is a good thing.

May you carry with pride and never have to use in defense!!!!
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links