Oy, the wait is killing me

This is a discussion on Oy, the wait is killing me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seriously, how long does it take the state of Texas to send a packet of papers? I have recently discussed with some others who have ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Seriously, how long does it take the state of Texas to send a packet of papers?

I have recently discussed with some others who have decided they too wanted to get their CCW license in 2005, and I'm finding out that CCW permits are apparently not a high priority issue for the Department of Public Safety.

Now in my state, you basically have to mail in a form to get the application packet. You have to make the application to get the application in other words.

I spoke to one woman who sent off her paper work last November and still hasn't received her packet. It's February for all intents and purposes. That's 3 months waiting on the application alone!

I've gathered this is not a Texas phenomenon. It seems in other states the wait can be even longer, and the process more difficult.

The way I see it, I'm going to have to wait months for the papers to arrive, then I'll have to take time to get prints made, which is a real PITA, and then get photos made, and fill the thing out correctly. Then I'll have to wait for the 3rd Saturday of the month to take the freaking class.

Then I have to mail it all in and wait and wait and wait some more.

This is literally going to take all year. I suppose it's not all bad as I'm practicing an awful lot in the meantime, but honestly I'm competent to possess the license right now.

What if I were a recently divorced woman and my ex husband were stalking me? What if I were a prosecuting attorney or a retired peace officer?

I realize this process isn't quick but come on this is just silly. It shouldn't take them any longer to process than driver's license application. Why the wait? They make such a big deal out of all the paperwork and all the legal requirements and then they sit on them.

Heck I even looked into physically going to the DPS, but found out they're just going to give me a form to mail in. You'd think they'd at least let you go down there and get printed and your picture taken in person like they do for a driver's license. Instead, they give you a form to fill out and mail in. Come on, I could go in there any day this week, and walk out in a couple of hours with my first driver's license.

Well I saved myself a trip and just downloaded the pdf off the DPS website, filled it out, and mailed it in myself. That's a little bit of time saved. The form only actually had to travel about 34 miles to Austin. I could have delivered it myself if I'd felt so inclined.

Of course why can't I download the actual packet? That would save the state time and resources. It's my paper I'd be using!

I then found where it was buried on the state's website you could apply online. It took some doing to find it too.

This I think is a subtle form of gun control. The resources to process these permits faster are already present in Texas and I bet they are in your state too. They don't have to build a new DPS building. I should be able to walk into the DPS with a certificate stating I've completed a state approved CCW course, fill out the paperwork, get my mugshot taken, get the prints, pay $200 or whatever and walk out the door with my temporary CHL while I wait for the permanent one to come in the mail in 2 weeks.

Here's another pisser: I'm a Texas certified educator and I have a Texas Driver's License. The state has all this information about me already. They have my prints, they have my picture, my address, everything.

Also, I have to go to the County Sheriff's department to get prints made. The DPS can't/won't do it. Last time I did this, I arrived at 12:30 pm. The woman behind the counter said they don't start making prints until 1:00 PM. I said Okay I will wait. That's fair enough. At 1 o clock the woman who had been doing nothing but sitting at the counter filing her nails for 30 minutes gets up and says "Okay let's take those prints now."

I'm also going to have to go somewhere to get some Passport Photos it seems.

This is just silly. It really is. Well hopefully by 2007 they'll send me the packet to apply for the packet to apply for the application to take the test to be fingerprinted to send in so I can wait for the real application. Sheesh.

Anyone else have problems like this in your state? How many months did it take you to get your actual permit?
    Last edited by Euclidean; January 30th, 2005 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Edit: Wanted to add info

I can pick up the App at the Police Station .. Then apply and wait i got mine in 1 month and 15 days ...

In my county its typlicaly 6-9 months

See that's unreal. Some people might actually be in a hurry to get this license. They're messing with people's safety and that's not right.

well i know after i think 90 days if they havnt decided one way or the other you can file for a temp ccw they have to issue good for 180 days

I'd think that would depend entirely on the state you're in. Like I said, I've already applied online and that will cut down my wait time somewhat, but the whole thing is crazy. I still have to wait for the confirmation statement to show up, submit 3 affidavits, etc. It's nuts.

OK Here is the problem...

Texas doesn't want your money
    +Texas will honor a nonresident Florida

Can the mathematician figure out the answer?

The first carry permit I got in PA took about 16 hours. I went down to the county sheriffs office, filled out the paperwork in the afternoon and the next morning they called to tell me it was ready. There was no training requirment but you had to state a reason why you wanted the permit. At that time, just saying you need it for self defense was not enough. Funny thing is the county sheriff was the person behind the counter who stood there while I filled out the paperwork. He saw I was thinking real hard and long about what to put as a reason so he said "What do you need it for son." So I said self defense and he said "Well I know that! You can't put that as a reason so just put camping in remote areas and I will sign off on it."

The second time I got my PA carry permit renewed in another county and it only took about 15 min.

I now live in VA and after filling out all the paperwork and running around to different offices, it takes about 45 days. I used my DD214 from the military as proof of firearms training.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Talking Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by F350
    OK Here is the problem...

Texas doesn't want your money
    +Texas will honor a nonresident Florida

Can the mathematician figure out the answer?
    HA! Excellent Answer F-350!

I'll give the system a chance to work first though. Yeah I'm a sucker. That non refundable application fee has something to do with it too.

As frustrating as the delays are though, the fact is that there are some people in situations who are in imminent danger and may really need the permit in a hurry. Luckily I'm not one of these people. That's why I think this whole process is ridiculous.

VIP Member
    In Virginia mine took about 21 days. Submit the application, fingerprints, proof of training, pay your money and wait. My county required fingerprints, not all do. Don't feel bad about the fingerprints deal. I was just printed again this week for the umpteenth time. They take them every time I am processed for a security clearance including renewals and upgrades. Like they changed right?

If I move to Missouri it will take six months for the residency requirement and another 45 days after that. So my solution is a Florida permit. Then no worries.

-Scott-

Cool

I got my CCW (Texas) last spring. The whole process took about 6 weeks. I've since moved, and had to get a change of address submitted for my CCW and so far it's been about a month. I agree that these permits are not exactly a priority. I would think just having a change of address shouldn't take more than a week.....hell, I didn't even leave the county!

DC Founder
    In Arizona, I took my CCW class, the instructor did the fingerprinting and we took the packet home to mail. My class ended on Sunday and it was in the mail (at the main post office) on Monday morning. They sent it back to me in about a week and a half and said that I needed to fingerprinted again as they could not classify the ones I turned in. I did that a couple of days later and remailed the cards. After all of that, I had mine in just over three weeks after the end of class. While I was going nuts waiting, I was pleased that they turned it around in that amount of time. Hopefully it took a while because they are REAL busy with new applications
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

JT
    It didn't take me long to get my packet. I can't remember how long exactly. The license took almost the full 90 days. The norm is they won’t go over the 90 days, but they will take just about the full 90 days.

My renewal didn’t take very long, but I can’t remember exactly how long it took.

On a side note, the Texas State Rifle Association reported there is a bill to be introduced this year to get the licenses lengthened to five years. There is also a bill to allow non-licensed people to carry in their cars, but I doubt that will pass.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

They need to pass that to clear up the legal ambiguity. I practice car carry now because I have no reason to believe it is illegal.

One of the FAQs on the TX DPS website about CCW says something to the effect of that the CCW permit ADDS TO existing carry rights, implying it was legal to car carry before the CCW permit was passed and it still is.

However, according to packing.org's data, it seems to only be legal in instances of making a trip across at least two county lines. For instance I car carry when I am driving from say Denton to Brady because that is a journey; it's a trip I don't make every day. My understanding is however that it's illegal to car carry from my house to work and back again because that does not constitute a journey.

There is no formal legislation on the matter I am aware of. They just need to come out and state it's legal to prevent someone from going to jail.

Another thing I find interesting is that assuming I am correct about what constitutes legal car carry in my state, is that a non permit holder is under no legal obligation to tell a LEO there is a gun in the vehicle. A CCW holder is under such an obligation. Should be either everyone has to declare it, or else it should be the other way around (a non permit holder would have to declare and a permit holder would not).

That's part of the reason I wanted to get my CCW. I realize I will have to inform any officer that pulls me over and I'm fine with that, but I want to be out of that legal gray area. Also, I can car carry to work and back.

But it all goes back to my main point. It seems like for some people in a lot of places, the process takes an unreasonable amount of time. Now to be honest it's not the end of the world if it takes X number of months for this to go through because I'm busy anyway and I'm not in imminent danger, but it just seems like they're doing the public a disservice.

JT
    It is illegal to carry a handgun in your car in Texas, without a license, unless you are traveling or for a “sporting purpose” (hunting, range etc.) When it say “adds to existing rights”, the existing right is the exemptions when it comes to cars. Here some FAQ from the weapons law handbook that deal with the issue.

Q: Can I still carry a handgun without a permit while traveling?
    A: Yes. The concealed handgun law augments existing state weapons laws but does not replace them. The offense of unlawfully carrying a weapon does not apply if you are traveling.

Q: Can I carry my handgun to a shooting range without a license?
    A: Yes, if you are traveling directly to the range and back home.
    Last edited by JT; January 31st, 2005 at 09:00 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Yeah but that specifically says Traveling or Going to the Range. I think car carry for Going to the Grocery Store is still a no no without the permit.

It's not clear any way you slice it. The 2 county lines thing is a convention of case law, which means it's nothing more than a rule of thumb.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links