Becoming a CCW instructor.

This is a discussion on Becoming a CCW instructor. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you out there what was the best path you could suggest? I'd hate to have to got to my competition and ask. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Becoming a CCW instructor.

For those of you out there what was the best path you could suggest? I'd hate to have to got to my competition and ask. I am thinking of CCW certification and renewals, HGS certificates and general hand gun safety. Any insight would be great.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'd go to your competitors and take their classes.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Djroulette View Post
    I'd go to your competitors and take their classes.
    I have done one and am doing another one soon. Then what...
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"If you have to ask..."

No offense, but you may want to reconsider whether this is something you should be doing. Plus it's probably not nearly as fun as it may seem. Just a suggestion.
    Echo_Four and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Go find an NRA Counselor in your area, they will be happy to help you figure out the steps to take and help you figure out if it is right for you. You can find the Counselor by calling the NRA Training Department at 703-267-1430.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    The money is good in doing so but if done right, takes a lot of time, expense and a great risk of arrest, lawsuits and other pitfalls.

The NRA offers instructor courses. A long weekend and a few hundred dollars will get the certification but then you have to be approved by your State to train.

You will need a place to give your courses. You will need a place to shoot. You will need some certificates to pass out.

You run a risk in someone getting shot during the course. All the warnings in the world will occasionally fall on deaf ears. There will be accidental discharges, negligent discharges and sometimes you will have a person injured. That is when you will be sued.

You might sign off on someone that gets into trouble with a shooting. That person will then tell police you did not cover something or covered something wrong. Then you run a risk of being sued.

Three area instructors were arrested during the past year for signing off on certificates without covering all the required courses while charging money to sign certificates.

The All Risk insurance will be costly. If you have to rent a location for a day, it will be costly.

Best thing to do is sit back and watch tv.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    And don't forget to get a good laser training system to use in the classroom. Helps separate your from the crowd. Now I do seem to have a preference to which on, but that is just me.
    OneLessPrius likes this.

I'll let the others give you the negatives, I'll give a positive. I'm not certified for CCL but I was an instructor for motorcycle training. I liked it, I had a lot of fun with it and I also learned a lot while teaching. It made me a better rider too. I'm sure those will translate over to CCW training as well.

I say go for it, you might find you like it and are very good at it.

Distinguished Member
    If you want to do it go for it. If you don't you'll regret it. Give the NRA a call.
    OneLessPrius likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    The money is good in doing so but if done right, takes a lot of time, expense and a great risk of arrest, lawsuits and other pitfalls.

The NRA offers instructor courses. A long weekend and a few hundred dollars will get the certification but then you have to be approved by your State to train.

You will need a place to give your courses. You will need a place to shoot. You will need some certificates to pass out.

You run a risk in someone getting shot during the course. All the warnings in the world will occasionally fall on deaf ears. There will be accidental discharges, negligent discharges and sometimes you will have a person injured. That is when you will be sued.

You might sign off on someone that gets into trouble with a shooting. That person will then tell police you did not cover something or covered something wrong. Then you run a risk of being sued.

Three area instructors were arrested during the past year for signing off on certificates without covering all the required courses while charging money to sign certificates.

The All Risk insurance will be costly. If you have to rent a location for a day, it will be costly.

Best thing to do is sit back and watch tv.
    You also run the risk of being run over by a truck. A much greater risk I might add.

The OP never said anything about run a dynamic class environment. So people shooting themselves is very, very low. If the state issues a Permit and the individual does something stupid, you might, and I repeat might have to answer some questions, but that does not happen a lot. As far as insurance costs, its about 400 dollars a year not that costly..

OP, do yourself a favor. Get your RSO cert first. Then start your other classes. Contact the NRA like others have mentioned, they will get you to a training counselor. You should be good to go from there.

Now, as an instructor you have know what you are talking about. You cannot half ass it. People in the classes are normally very new to the shooting world, they will hang on your every word. You need to be knowledgeable in what you are presenting. You should be taking courses yourself, both in dynamics and instructor development. IMO if you are going to do this, you have to do it right.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Fuzzball, thanks for the tips. I appreciate it. In one county nearby no firearm qualification is necessary during he class. The county I am in does. I was figuring that I could secure both and that would help the diaper fund.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

The same information pertains to just about all business in todays society. While I understand your points, IMO there is no reason fear monger the OPs wish to become a firearms instructor...
    LenS likes this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by OneLessPrius View Post
    Fuzzball, thanks for tips. I appreciate it. In one county nearby no firearm qualification is necessary during he class. The county I am in does. I was figuring that I could secure both and that would help the diaper fund.
    I am not sure if this is directed at me, but if it is. No problem. Send me a PM if you need more help...

I have been called a lot of things, but never Fuzzball thats pretty good....
    Aceoky and OneLessPrius like this.

Harry, I am just pointing out there are things to be considered other than what is in most instructor courses, including the NRA course. It is not all profit and no risk.

You are correct, a person can be hit by a truck. That is a given but if the truck is yours, then you have a problem. If it is you hit by the truck, there may also be negligence.

For grins and giggles, I googled people being shot during a firearms course. There is even on incident where a man and his wife were shot. Several others, including two where instructors were shot. I would think that the legalities are still being played in all of them. Accidents happen. Firearms can be dangerous moreso when those taking a course are new to firearms. Someone takes the risk and blame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links