Ankle Carry

Ankle Carry

This is a discussion on Ankle Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, I'm one of these Kansans (or "Kansasans") that just got my approval letter. Due to dress code outside of my control, my only good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar

Ankle Carry

Alright, I'm one of these Kansans (or "Kansasans") that just got my approval letter.

Due to dress code outside of my control, my only good option for carry during the work week is ankle (thankfully my employer is VERY pro gun). I plan to carry a Glock 27.

Anybody with experience or information on good ankle holsters or other things I should be thinking about regarding ankle carry in general, give me a holler. After all, I'm new at this! I'm also open to purchasing a new gun if someone has a compelling argument for it as an ankle carry weapon.
    Last edited by incredipete; December 30th, 2006 at 10:31 PM.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

I have used a few ankle holsters made by K. Null for many years. Extremely comfortable and well made. His wait time is very reasonable.
    "For every Jew a .22" and "Keep alive with a .45!...The JDL"

Lead Moderator
    Personally I don't like ankle carry due to slow access and uncomfortable ride. A ankle holster may ride better for others, but my legs are too beefy for it to be comfortable.
    Perhaps a tuckable or shirt holter, or a belly band might be options to consider for carry as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I currently have an Alessi ankle for a micro 1911. Very comfortable for all day carry and I highly recommend it. As stated above, it is not a speed demon. In most cases I use it for a BUG not primary. If you need low key and fast, look at a 5 shot J frame in a pocket holster. Very low profile and easy to carry.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Yeah, pocket carry may be an option (although as the other thread on the topic indicates, a G27 isn't a good candidate for it... I'd need to go with another gun, perhaps a J frame as JackJ mentioned).

Our dress code is slacks, button-up shirt tucked in, but no jacket. Very unhelpful for those of us who wish to carry. I also considered carrying a fullsize in one of those planners that has a hidden compartment... although I can't imagine that's exactly lightning fast, either.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

These will let you carry a medium to full size handgun comfortably within your dress code:

http://www.uccomfort.com/3XHHolster.html

You can see this rig in action with one of our members here(scroll to #29):

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...?t=7233&page=3

Depending on your build, a belly band can accomplish similar concealment.

I have a similar dress code and have been looking into this for quite awhile in preparation for getting my permit - and I can't stand compact handguns.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I wear my G27 in either a FIST or CTAC tuckable. It totally dissapears under a tucked-in dress shirt with no jacket. I have never had success with G27 pocket carry. Especially in dress pants. Ankle carry is really not an option for speed, however it works great for BUG, and for sitting in the car.
    "For every Jew a .22" and "Keep alive with a .45!...The JDL"

Ankle Carry At Work?

Do you sit down a lot in meetings? Are you on the move a lot? I could never use ankle carry, but that's just me.

An IWB just seems so much more practical and more easily concealed.

I'd try to borrow an ankle holster and give it a whirl at home and 'around the town' first...

Good Luck...

OMO

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; December 31st, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carried a ppk/s and j-frame in ankle rigs. My experience has been that small is good, smaller is BEST. I used a double sock on my carry leg. One sock under the holster and another (with the toe cut out to make it easier to fit) that went over the holster. Really aids in covering the holster for the casual peek-a-boo when you move your leg. These are good for deep concealment but as Retsup99 points out, if you sit alot or move alot then you may have some concealment troubles.

Ankle carry with G27

After posting a similar note, I purchased a Galco Ankle glove for my G27. I also purchased the calf strap. I have found that it is an excellent holster. Now the Glock rides out a bit and some of my pants have narrow leg openings. Thus, they don't allow enough room. I have a small mag extension to allow the third finger access to the grip. This does extend the overall height and make carry with narrow pants difficult.

However, we just returned from an 8 hour drive and the ankle option is far superior than a hip holster while sitting in a bucket seat.

I also agree with a previous post that the G27 isn't a pocket firearm.

As a BUG, I use a Kel-Tec P3AT when I can't have the G27. However, I leave the Kel-tec home more often now that I have a good ankle holster.

Alessi,

There isn't a better ankle holster made, others try real hard but an Alessi ankle holster is the way to go.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    +1 on Alessi, I have one on order for my G-27!

If you're going to ankle carry, you can't hide a Glock worth a darn under straight leg stove pipe Levi's!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I second a different method of carry. I hate ankle rigs. I got one for Christmas one year and I couldn't even carry a Kel-tec .32 without being disgruntled. You do not forget you have this thing on. It feels like someone is checking your blood pressure from your leg. I had to clean my pistol quite often because it was right down there with the dirt and the dust. It also was a real pain to draw from. If ever in a situation where I would be confronted I couldn't imagine bending over or lifting my leg to gain access to a primary firearm. Only place I could imagine usefulness would be seated in a car. I hear the belly bands have quite a few fans in the corporate world and would check that lead.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Have you looked at Pager Pal? Here is a link
    http://www.pagerpal.com/
    I have also used a belly band but smaller is better here.
    I myself don't like a ankle Holster you will be made everytime you sit down, unless you wear pants that are way to long.
    I also have read that many are happy with the smart carry holster. It is a loose fitting apron type holster that goes under your pants and the gun sits below your bend line in front. I watched the video on their site and it seems to me that your pants would need to be a size or two to big in order to draw the weapon. Something to look at.
    Last edited by NCHornet; December 31st, 2006 at 07:37 AM.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

You can wear the belly band above the pants and turn it exactlly how you need it. It will make your Glock disappear and is also comfortable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links