IWB-OWB & physical problems?

This is a discussion on IWB-OWB & physical problems? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For about six months I have battled colon problems constantly. I normally always carry IWB or OWb. But for about the last two months I ...

Thread: IWB-OWB & physical problems?

For about six months I have battled colon problems constantly. I normally always carry IWB or OWb. But for about the last two months I have had to convert to a smaller gun and pocket carry because of the inflamation and pain. At times I cant wear my belt tight enough to hold up my pants. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced any physical conditions that stop you from carrying the way that you like ?

Cashman,

I can relate directly. After having 40 treatments radiation treatments for Hodgkins Lymphoma this summer, I am now suffering from the side effects of the radiation. One of those is a swelling of the spinal canal that causes nerves to be compressed, resulting in constant pain through the hips and down into both legs.

I have been carrying an airweight in an ankle holster or a crossdraw holster that I can wear on the left front whenever I can cover it up with a jacket or sweatshirt. The airweight isn't heavy enough to require my belt to be that tight.

Also have a KelTec P3AT for pocket carry when necessary.

My Kimber Tactical Ultra II has been getting a break, it's too heavy right now.

Lead Moderator
    wonder how a shoulder rig would work?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    wonder how a shoulder rig would work?
    Been wondering the same thing myself, Rocky.

Santa brought me a Galco Jackass rig for my Kimber, have not had the opportunity to try it out yet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cashman View Post
    For about six months I have battled colon problems constantly. I normally always carry IWB or OWb. But for about the last two months I have had to convert to a smaller gun and pocket carry because of the inflamation and pain. At times I cant wear my belt tight enough to hold up my pants. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced any physical conditions that stop you from carrying the way that you like ?
    Man do I know what you're going through! I have severe IBS and can really relate to the belt issue... big time!

I actually had to get a 5.11 vest with velcro holster to carry my G-27 in this summer and in colder weather I use an ankle rig. I just ordered an Alessi because there are still a few times I can not IWB.

I did start taking fiber pills at a friends suggestion and it has helped tremendously!!! You'd think it'd make things worse but it really helps!

By the way... just happened to think. My SmartCarry rides on the lower part of my hips and doesn't put any pressure on my lower stomach!
    Last edited by Thumper; December 31st, 2006 at 01:14 AM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I was going to suggest a smart carry because they are not worn tight around the waist. They are almost like a old gun slingers belt that just short of hangs there. I have not used one but others have and really like them. I was also going to suggest a belly band, but they must be worn pretty snug to keep them in place. I have Chronic pancreas problems and the tight belly band actually feels good, must be something of the support factor.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Thanks guys I have been wondering about the Smartcarry myself I may give that a try. Some days depending on the shirt I wear I use the Kangaroo holster. I am looking forward to someday being able to carry IWB again.

You bet I have! Have had a right hip deteriorating for a number of years which has made belt carry increasingly difficult. My solution for carrying was a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak.

I am not a real fan of off the body carry but this was my best option. The bag worked exceptionally well allowing me to carry the gun but a lot of other "stuff" as well.

Recently, I had hip replacement surgery and, while it turned out well, I still used the Jumbo for awhile. Had to carry a lot of medically related stuff as well and, for that, it was equally invaluable.

My hip has healed now and I am back to regular carry but I can sure recommend the Jumbo if you have ongoing medical problems. Hope things work out.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

You bet I have! Have had a right hip deteriorating for a number of years which has made belt carry increasingly difficult. My solution for carrying was a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak.

I am not a real fan of off the body carry but this was my best option. The bag worked exceptionally well allowing me to carry the gun but a lot of other "stuff" as well.

Recently, I had hip replacement surgery and, while it turned out well, I still used the Jumbo for awhile. Had to carry a lot of medically related stuff as well and, for that, it was equally invaluable.

My hip has healed now and I am back to regular carry but I can sure recommend the Jumbo if you have ongoing medical problems. Hope things work out.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Links