Should I become and Armorer or Gunsmith

This is a discussion on Should I become and Armorer or Gunsmith within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I want to be able to service my own guns. Do I become an Armorer or a gunsmith? What is the difference between an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Should I become and Armorer or Gunsmith

Should I become and Armorer or Gunsmith

So I want to be able to service my own guns. Do I become an Armorer or a gunsmith? What is the difference between an Armorer and a gunsmith? Is there money it this for working on other peoples weapons? Would I need to become bonded or insured? What are the costs involved in the training?
    gatorbait51 and CLASS3NH like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    My gunsmith makes money off me. He is a retired guy and it is more of a hobby so I don't know if he stays busy enough to make a living and support a family.

But if he had a few more clients like me...
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Quote Originally Posted by Jdschoolerjdsch View Post
    So I want to be able to service my own guns. Do I become an Armorer or a gunsmith? What is the difference between an Armorer and a gunsmith? Is there money it this for working on other peoples weapons? Would I need to become bonded or insured? What are the costs involved in the training?

Go for broke Bubba and if the book work ain't too much for you go for both at the same time. No doubt you'd need the skills of both one time or another. I don't mean to be mean to ya but Bubba if you don't think you could make a few extra bucks having the know how to work some magic I just don't know what to tell you. Of all the skills one might have in the next 5 to 10 years Armorer or Gunsmith would be way more valuable than say sales in any of the bravo sierra people now days
    think is important.

When the bottom drops out in the USA having the know how and the tools will be handy. Having another trade or skill that's common to low tech will be in demand.

HUA
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Becoming an armorer takes a weekend or two and a few hundred bucks. Becoming a gunsmith can take months and a lot more money and skills and equipment. Becoming a really good gunsmith can take years and some are never that good. Some are amazing.

I recommend you visit with a really good gunsmith, find out what it took for him to get where he is, what it cost, what equipment he has, etc. If that sounds like something you are willing and eager to commit to, then go for it. We always need good gunsmiths. To take care of your own weapons - armorer level skills should do just fine for 98% of what you need to do.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    You don't need to be either to work on your own guns. Just need to be good with tools and have some knowledge of what you are doing.
    To work on others guns you need to be a gunsmith with proper license for the type of work you will be preforming. An armorer is more of a military term, goes a little beyond cleaning, full disassembling, swapping parts, minor fitting etc. A gunsmith can operate machine tools, heat treat, make parts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    [I]

When the bottom drops out in the USA having the know how and the tools will be handy. Having another trade or skill that's common to low tech will be in demand.

HUA
    Thanks buddy! I just pictured myself wandering around a pitch black post apocalyptic America yelling "Anybody need an electrician?"

There aren't a lot of good gunsmiths out there, so if you're looking for a way to make money I would go that route. If you just want to be able to service your own firearms then a few armorer courses should serve you well.

I'm taking a 1911 armorer course in a few weeks, and plan on taking Glock and AR15 courses later this year. So, for about $500 and three days of my life I will be able to handle most common problems I might encounter on the platforms I shoot the most.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post

Go for broke Bubba and if the book work ain't too much for you go for both at the same time. No doubt you'd need the skills of both one time or another. I don't mean to be mean to ya but Bubba if you don't think you could make a few extra bucks having the know how to work some magic I just don't know what to tell you. Of all the skills one might have in the next 5 to 10 years Armorer or Gunsmith would be way more valuable than say sales in any of the bravo sierra people now days
    think is important.

HUA

Woo Hoo 29 to go.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Thanks buddy! I just pictured myself wandering around a pitch black post apocalyptic America yelling "Anybody need an electrician?"
    I'd guess that depends on if the grid is down
    gatorbait51 and Sarge65 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

So how long does it take to become a good gunsmith. I would think it would take a few years. I know a few years ago if one wanted to learn they would find a good smith and learn from them. Guess I am showing my age here.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Yea, I'm thinking the same thing about my career. I don't think there will be much of a need for accountants in the SHTF situation. I'm hoping I can fall back on my learned handyman skills from my father, and my previous farming experience.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    My daddy gave me some very good advise when I was young.
    "Have a good profession, but back it up with a skilled trade".
    I have.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

I have no earthly idea of the difference between an armorer and a gunsmith. But I'm certain of one thing. There has been an incredible boom in gun sales in America. And someone has to service all those guns.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

An armorer replaces parts and a gunsmith can make or modify parts. If you go to a gunsmith for work and he says he can get right to it, leave. If you go to a gunsmith and he says it will take about six months to get to it, he is a good gunsmith and will get it back to you in about a year.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Sponsor
    Frequently Asked Questions: Pennsylvania Gunsmith School

Several trade schools offer gunsmith courses. Pennsylvania Gunsmith School has been a round a long time. I'm sure there other well established schools out there.

I wish I could take the time to attend a good GS school. I'm a competent armorer, I learn everything I can about the firearms I own and have a small amount of armorers training through the Army as a secondary MOS. But I would love to be able to true my own bolt actions and build a match grade 1911 from the frame up.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links