Good LEO Encounter

Good LEO Encounter

This is a discussion on Good LEO Encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my share of poor LEO experiences, but this officer was very professional and respectful. While driving home last week out on county roads, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Good LEO Encounter

Good LEO Encounter

I've had my share of poor LEO experiences, but this officer was very professional and respectful.

While driving home last week out on county roads, I saw flashing lights fly come up behind me out of nowhere. He must have been well hidden.

MI law requires cpl holders to immediately inform officers at any encounter, so I told the officer I was a cpl holder and was armed as soon as he walked up to the window. He said "thanks for telling, where is it?"

I said "under my left shoulder."

After thanking me, he asked for my dl, cpl, insurance, and registration. After checking all of the preceding at his car, he told me to fix my headlight which apparently had gone out (it wasn't fully dark yet so couldn't yet tell), and have a nice evening.

This happened on the western edge of Jackson county on hwy 99 to those who care. He didn't ask me to surrender my sidearm or anything stupid like that, and presented himself very professionally. This hasn't always been the case in my experience, but it was this time and his courtesy was much appreciated.

Carry on.
    CommonCents likes this.

Good to hear of the good ones.

Distinguished Member
    It is nice to hear about the good incounters. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

The way it should be. No duty to inform here in Oregon, the dispatcher tells the officer if the owner(s) have a concealed handgun license. It has never came up when I was stopped.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

My sense is there are a lot more good ones than bad ones. Like most things in life people don't take the time to tell others about good experiences as quickly as they do bad experiences, so thanks for posting this.

I also have noticed that people on this site get pulled over a lot. Slow down you maniacs! And get off my lawn!
    RoadRunner71 and airslot like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    I never had any issue with LEO's. Have a few as neighbors.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Nice to hear all the pluses. Many times it is all about the "gestapo police". I am 72 and never had (as few as they are) a bad situation with an LEO. Then again my lifestyle has never been one that seems to be described in too many threads on this forum requiring LEO intervention of any kind.

What I find annoying is that LEOs ask questions about the firearm. Nothing in the 'must inform' laws or any other law that gives them right to demand that information. (Edit: There are some few states which do talk about disclosing carry information)

VIP Member
    If you caught his name, a note to his supervisor commending the LEO might be in order. No need to mention him not ticketing you, just the stop and his courteous attitude and behavior.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Pulled you over for a headlight out when it wasn't even dark?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426
    My sense is there are far more good ones than bad ones.

I also have noticed people on this site get pulled over a lot. Slow down you MANIACS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    IIRC headlights should/ must be turned on one hour before dark and kept on one hour after daylight. Least ways that's the deal here in Washington state.

The last time I got a ticket was 20 years ago this month.

People use that Cruise Control!!Rollin' rollin' rollin'...
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    So he has a chance to fix it before it gets dark and creates a hazard...that'd be my guess.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    The way it should be. No duty to inform here in Oregon, the dispatcher tells the officer if the owner(s) have a concealed handgun license. It has never came up when I was stopped.
    I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

VIP Member
    Archer ^^^^^ said it in his response send a note or email saying the officer was professional . Short and sweet .

I think if we are able to call out the bad ones we should make sure the dept. has the good stories .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    Nice to hear the good stories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links