Need advice on car carry setup

This is a discussion on Need advice on car carry setup within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I come looking for advice on carrying in my car. I have decided that i dont just want to throw my baby G23 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Need advice on car carry setup

Hey all,

I come looking for advice on carrying in my car. I have decided that i dont just want to throw my baby G23 under the sear or in the glove box, but rather want to somehow holster it in my vehicle for easy access. I am thinking of mounting a holster via screws into the lower driver side of my center console (just above my right knee) for minimal visibility and maximum grab-a-bility. haha

What I am wondering is have any of you guys/gals done anything like this? What products worked good for you/which ones didnt? How/where do you carry in your vehicle? and any other thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

VIP Member
    I leave my gun in its holster when I'm in the car.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I leave my gun in its holster when I'm in the car.
    on your person? Ive considered that. My Versacarry is pretty comfortable. I am just really wondering what other ways are out there.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

I've read of some people buying a Remora or Sticky and just shoving it between the seat and console.
    robhic likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    Here are earlier threads about things people use for truck or car carry:

Concealed Holster In My Ram Truck

Car carry

And there are several more also - if I could have found them quickly I would have posted them.

Here is the car holster I use, which is also posted on another thread that I couldn't find; car holster 1a.jpg
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

My own preference is to keep the gun attached to me, and not the car. YMMV. I'm right handed, and prefer cross draw. Either on the belt, or IWB in a Remora. I'll also use a shoulder holster if I have one that fits the gun I intend to carry.
    WyoShooter, CLASS3NH and redmc like this.

Why not on the console?

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

9uc
    One of the best ideas for carrying, but not on your person, while in the car that I've seen lately is the clip on holster that is mounted under the dash on the steering column. Thinking about getting one for both cars and he RV.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

I bought my seat covers before I started carrying. Because I knew I was going to apply for a permit I opted to get the hidden gun pouch. It turns out that I've only used it once or twice. I have used it more to hide my GPS when parking in questionable areas. The gun stays in its holster on my person.

VIP Member
    I keep mine holstered and on my person. Not a fan of mounting a holster on the console or under the dash. Remember, someone checking out your vehicle when your not in it, will see the holster and figure your carrying.
    9uc and CLASS3NH like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Right hand cross draw, the gun is not covered by seat belt and accessable only to me.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

9uc
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I keep mine holstered and on my person. Not a fan of mounting a holster on the console or under the dash. Remember, someone checking out your vehicle when your not in it, will see the holster and figure your carrying.
    I should have mentioned that the only occasion I had a holster mounted under the dash, it was for storage only when I was driving for easier access. When I got out out the vehicle, the gun went with me, so you've made a good point. The holster I used just was not stable enough to use in that fashion.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

I took my XDS holster that it came with and did this.

Slides right in the gap and stays secure.

Drawing from a holster in a car is slow and can be hard depending on what you're wearing. Not to mention its usually uncomfortable to sit in for long times.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky5000100 View Post
    I took my XDS holster that it came with and did this.

Slides right in the gap and stays secure.

Drawing from a holster in a car is slow and can be hard depending on what you're wearing. Not to mention its usually uncomfortable to sit in for long times.
    I could never use that option. There's barely enough clearance to get my knees under most steering columns as it is!

BTW, I see you're a Progressive customer...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links