Can't carry at work, leave gun in car?

This is a discussion on Can't carry at work, leave gun in car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but what do folks do who can't carry at work? Leaving a gun in the car ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Can't carry at work, leave gun in car?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but what do folks do who can't carry at work? Leaving a gun in the car seems somewhat of a bad idea but so does driving to and from work without it.

My employer doesn't have a problem with firearms in the parking lot as there is a range at the company park down the street so a lot of people shoot directly after work. It's just inside the gate that's a no-no.

I'm aware of the safes that attach to the seat frame, are there other ideas I'm not aware of?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    I have a lock box that cables to the seat, I use it when I go into the school. Do you have security that watches the parking lot? If so, I would lock it in a box, cable it to the seat and not worry too much.
    Norm66 likes this.

We have cameras that are supposed to be monitored and the security drives through at some frequency. I've never heard of a car being broken into there in 14+ years.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm66 View Post
    We have cameras that are supposed to be monitored and the security drives through at some frequency. I've never heard of a car being broken into there in 14+ years.
    Then lock it up in the car and remember Gibb's Rule #4.
    Norm66 and Kennydale like this.

9uc
    Don't remember what company it way, but I heard about one sever years ago that made a console gun safe for various vehicles or you could get a bolt down gun safe and bolt it down in your trunk.
    tdave likes this.
    USAF, Retired
    Then said He unto them, ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36

Life Member: NRA, DVA, VVA, VFW, TSNA, Vietnam Security Police Assn.

VIP Member
    Use a lock box/ vault that attaches to your vehicle in some way. Lock it up and go about your day. Certainly it is not ideal but it beats the alternative.
    tdave likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

If working for a company that forcibly terminates staff for perceived disregard of policies, do so at your own risk.

If working in a state that denies authority to companies to keep staff from carrying in their own cars by disallowing termination for such cause, consider the ease with which such a company can terminate you for other, ostensibly unrelated cause (or no reason at all).

Whatever else is the case, if you choose to discreetly carry to/from your place of employment but not at the place, then by all means have some means of securing the sidearm and ammunition inside the locked vehicle. Of course, know that it's all gone if the car gets swiped. And it's almost assuredly gone, anyway, if broken into, since those cable thingies and the "safes" they're connected to tend to not be very capable of withstanding attack and removal.

My employer doesn't have a problem with firearms in the parking lot as there is a range at the company park down the street so a lot of people shoot directly after work. It's just inside the gate that's a no-no.
    In that situation I would most definitely park outside the gate, carry to/from work and within the car, and I'd secure it in the car prior to leaving the car for the day.

Options:
    • The lighter-weight "safe" units secured with a thin cable to the seat or other immovable anchor inside the cabin.
    • Same thing, but secured in the trunk.
    • Building a stouter, heavy-gauge safe inside the trunk or cabin, one that's welded or heavily bolted to the car's frame/structure such that it's all but impossible to remove from the car.

From the simple standpoint of security of the sidearm, my preference is for the last option. Though, that isn't always preferable. Can mess up a car and its value; can be a bit expensive to do right; in the trunk, it demands you exit the vehicle while holding your sidearm or disarming outside the car, neither of which might be conducive to remaining discreet about your carry status.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    With the information given, I'd say get a safe/lock box and lock it in the car while at work. Depending on what you drive. If a car use the trunk, if a truck/SUV either a bolt down on cabled down.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would say keep in vehicle. Don't talk about it. Take it to and from vehicle in a manner that does not make the weapon visible. Park where some one accessing the vehicle is visible. Make sure your safe is not visible from outside the vehicle. Do not have other thievable items visible in vehicle.
    oldman45 likes this.

This is basically what I have:
    Amazon.com: GunVault NV200 NanoVault with Key Lock, Fits Full Size 1911 Style Pistols: Home Improvement

Got mine at Cabela's for about $5 more than this one.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Thanks everybody. I'm going to go with a lockbox / cable type thing. I need to be able to do it discreetly (easier in the morning when it's still dark) so I think that's the best way.

Thanks everybody. I'm going to go with a lockbox / cable type thing. I need to be able to do it discreetly (easier in the morning when it's still dark) so I think that's the best way.
    Putting up sunshades in the windshield will offer some concealment if securing it in the passenger compartment. Good for your vehicle dash too.
    Ianthin and Norm66 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, can I assume by what you said the parking lot is outside the gate? If so, I don't see a problem with locking the firearm inside the car by whatever means you choose. While a lockbox and cable is sufficient, a locked vehicle is also considered secure, but I'd go with a cabled lock box at a minimum. The idea is to prevent the "grab & go" thief by those looking for grabbing a few goodies.
    Norm66 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes, the lot is outside the gates. My dad always told me you don't have to make your house or car impossible to break into because there's no such thing. You just have to make it harder than the neighbor's because the BG will take what's easy most of the time.

I have the same situation as you. As stated above, I lock mine in a lock box in the trunk.
    Norm66 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links