Question on NYS law

This is a discussion on Question on NYS law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some help if anyone knows anything. I heard something about NYS law that bothers me if its true. I was told that it ...

Thread: Question on NYS law

Question Question on NYS law

I need some help if anyone knows anything. I heard something about NYS law that bothers me if its true. I was told that it is illegal under any circumstances to transport a firearm across the state line. The only way a firearm can enter/leave the state is through an FFL. (Meaning, if I had the proper CCW licenses to carry in PA and NY, I couldn't run down to PA and back legally while carrying concealed).

Does anyone know about this and whether or not it's true?

Thanks for the help.
    "If guns kill people, I can blame my pen for misspelled words"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet716 View Post
    I need some help if anyone knows anything. I heard something about NYS law that bothers me if its true. I was told that it is illegal under any circumstances to transport a firearm across the state line. The only way a firearm can enter/leave the state is through an FFL. (Meaning, if I had the proper CCW licenses to carry in PA and NY, I couldn't run down to PA and back legally while carrying concealed).

Does anyone know about this and whether or not it's true?

Thanks for the help.
    Try this: http://www.packing.org/state/new_york/ and here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/.
    Last edited by LTPhoon; December 31st, 2006 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Didn't thoroughlt read part of post that assumed properly licensed NYS carry..

Since you are a New York State resident, the handgun you wish to carry concealed to PA has to be registered on an unrestricted New York State Pistol Permit. You can apply for and receive a non-resident PA Carry Permit. You can then carry concealed between New York State and Pennsylvania legally. You can also conceal carry between New York State and Vermont since Vermont is unrestricted where resident and non-resident can carry with no permit required. I am assuming that you are not an FFL Dealer. Be sure to read the PA and Vermont firearms laws.
    Last edited by kelsey; December 31st, 2006 at 12:18 PM.

If you have a NY permit and a PA permit you may transport a handgun registerred on your NY permit into or out of the state. You cannot bring a handgun NOT regiseterred to your NY permit in or out of the state without SHIPPING it through an FFL and having it added in the same way as a new purchase.

There is no problem taking a legally owned handgun (NY Permit) out of NY as I have done so at airports where the local police have checked my permit, weapon and its serial number against the permit.

If you have a NY permit and a PA permit there is absolutely no reason you could not carry from one to the other (EXCEPT for going through NYC where you would need to confrom to the federal guidelines for transporting).

A non-resident NH permit is also good for you to carry in PA but a non-resident PA is not good for NH. At only $20 for the NH and a one week turn around it is pretty much a no brainer.

I had assumed that wallstreet716 question actually pertained to concealed carry between New York State (minus New York City) and PA, and not transporting a firearm not registered on his permit yet. Musketeer is correct on the transport issue, although it's best to have a copy of the Federal Laws pertaining to transport on your person when traveling through airports. Your New York State Pistol permit needs to be unrestricted to carry concealed.

Links