How to carry legal in the truck in SC & NC?

This is a discussion on How to carry legal in the truck in SC & NC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay...I need some education here. I live in SC and work in NC. I thought in SC the handgun had to be inside the glove ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By tcox4freedom

Thread: How to carry legal in the truck in SC & NC?

Okay...I need some education here. I live in SC and work in NC. I thought in SC the handgun had to be inside the glove box or closed console. In NC it has to be visible on the seat or dash. So, in my thinking attached under the steering wheel (my preference), attached under the dash, laying on the hump between the seats, in a cup holder on the console, etc. would be Illegal. I have my CWP which is valid in both states and would like to have the gun at arms reach without opening a compartment (SC) or having it slide across the seat (NC). I know I can carry it on my person, but what about just in the truck. Any advise and/or clarification will be greatly appreciated.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sometimes the simplest answer is the obvious one. You have a permit good in both states, wear it concealed with access.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OldVet is right (as usual), don't sweat the small stuff. If you have a valid permit that is recognized in both states then you can carry it where ever you want to. Just don't forget to inform if stopped in NC. Even if it's what appears to be open to you it may not be obvious to an approaching officer so sound off first thing.
    msgt/ret and RickyD like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

NC is an open carry state so you can leave it on the seat or conceal on your person. SC doesn't open carry so it has to be concealed on person or in a glove box with 2 movements to open. Turning the latch counts as one and reaching in counts as 2. In NC you can also mount a holster.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    OldVet is right (as usual), don't sweat the small stuff. If you have a valid permit that is recognized in both states then you can carry it where ever you want to. Just don't forget to inform if stopped in NC. Even if it's what appears to be open to you it may not be obvious to an approaching officer so sound off first thing.
    I travel a lot between GA, SC and NC. GA has reciprocity with NC, but not SC. When I drive I remove my gun from the holster on my person and put it into the center counsel at the SC line coming from GA. I re-holster at the NC line coming from SC. I flip the procedure on the way home.

I really need to get a non-resident permit for SC. Does anyone happen to know if they are available and how difficult they are to get?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    I travel a lot between GA, SC and NC. GA has reciprocity with NC, but not SC. When I drive I remove my gun from the holster on my person and put it into the center counsel at the SC line coming from GA. I re-holster at the NC line coming from SC. I flip the procedure on the way home.

I really need to get a non-resident permit for SC. Does anyone happen to know if they are available and how difficult they are to get?
    One of the best web sites for all things legal relating to carrying a gun is handgunlaw.us. The page for SC will get you started in your quest but be advised that in order to get a non-resident permit you have to own property in SC.

Here is the link for SC and how to get a non-resident permit. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    One of the best web sites for all things legal relating to carrying a gun is handgunlaw.us. The page for SC will get you started in your quest but be advised that in order to get a non-resident permit you have to own property in SC.

Here is the link for SC and how to get a non-resident permit. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf
    Well, I own part of a business in SC, maybe that will work? It doesn't include land, but it does have taxable assets and income.

I have a friend who is an instructor in Charleston. I will see if he can give me the specifics. Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    The law in SC was recently ammended to add that you can place the gun under your seat. No longer does it have to be the glovebox or console.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    The law in SC was recently ammended to add that you can place the gun under your seat. No longer does it have to be the glovebox or console.
    This applies "only" for those that have a SC CWP.

-
    deadguy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Get your CC and carry on your body of course.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    This applies "only" for those that have a SC CWP.

-
    Thank you for clarifying
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I just started putting mine under the seat for long hauls... If I'm ever not sure then I just put it in my pocket.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    As long as you have a permit, you can conceal it in NC. I do it all the time.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Sponsored Links