Still waiting on Concealed permit in Guilford County

This is a discussion on Still waiting on Concealed permit in Guilford County within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I applied for my permit on 1/27/14 in guilford county, NC. I was then advised that it would take 6 to 8 weeks and if ...

Thread: Still waiting on Concealed permit in Guilford County

I applied for my permit on 1/27/14 in guilford county, NC. I was then advised that it would take 6 to 8 weeks and if I had not heard anything by the end of march to start calling to check on status. I call last week 3/17 just to check status and see where we were on the permit. The women i spoke to told me that my application was approved and that they would be ordering the permits that day. She said it would take a week to get it back and then just had to have the sheriff sign. I honestly expected to have it sometime this week. So I called today and when the women picked up, the first thing she asked was when did I apply. I let her know when and she said "well honey it takes about 3 months". I let her know what was said when I had applied. She checked her list and let me know that my permit was there and that they just needed the sheriff to sign. Just tired of waiting.

My dad applied for his permit in alamance county NC. 2 days before me. He has already gotten his permit back on Friday, 7th.

VIP Member
    State law gives them 45 days to issue or deny a permit. Looks like they are running behind, but your experience isn't unusual. Almost anywhere is better than Mecklenburg County wait times. BTW, welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    State law gives them 45 days to issue or deny a permit. Looks like they are running behind, but your experience isn't unusual. Almost anywhere is better than Mecklenburg County wait times. BTW, welcome to the forum.
    That 45 days doesn't start until they have received all of the mental health checks they have requested so it could take considerably longer than 45 days from the date of your application.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I live in Guilford County myself. I applied in June '13 and received it in September '13, while I was on vacation. What a nice surprise to pick up the mail held for us when we returned from the cruise. They are backed up rather severely and turn around time greatly depends on when you applied. I did take a day of vacation from work just to get to the office early.

For me, the process took about the full 90 days. I'd give it exactly that and then call if it doesn't come in by that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    That 45 days doesn't start until they have received all of the mental health checks they have requested so it could take considerably longer than 45 days from the date of your application.
    Yeah, in a lot of states, you would be surprised when the clock starts ticking for the time limit. It can be over 100 days, if you read the fine print. In Michigan, the 30 or 45 day limit can be 106 days, but most likely 6 to 8 weeks. So much for truth in advertising.

Welcome to the forum from the Wolverine State! I hope you get your so-called "permit" ASAP.

Stay safe..............

Apparently the OP here is unaware of the old rule when dealing with government "hurry up and wait."

I've read here of folks getting first CC permits in 5 days or less. Once I renewed and I was in and out in 20 minutes. My last renewal took 7 to 10 days as a new BG check was done. I couldn't CC in that period. I didn't go out much.

Hurry up and wait Bubba.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Mine took 62 days, in Johnston County. Welcome to the forum.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

BTW, Fr3sh1 welcome to the forum! I think you will enjoy it here as there is a wealth of information and some great discussions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TopGun47 View Post
    Yeah, in a lot of states, you would be surprised when the clock starts ticking for the time limit. It can be over 100 days, if you read the fine print. In Michigan, the 30 or 45 day limit can be 106 days, but most likely 6 to 8 weeks. So much for truth in advertising.

Welcome to the forum from the Wolverine State! I hope you get your so-called "permit" ASAP.

Stay safe..............

Sounds like Illinois isn't doing too bad. It seems to be fairly common for licenses to be approved within about 60 days of application, mine was. Some folks who applied on 1/5 (first day for everyone not an instructor) haven't gotten theirs, but seems to have been a computer problem that got fixed after that. Law enforcement is given 30 days to object to an application in Illinois so it isn't likely to get down to less than 45 days.

Sponsored Links