Defensive Carry University - Chance for you to be the professor

This is a discussion on Defensive Carry University - Chance for you to be the professor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a Newbie, i can't believe how many things I have learned on this board and from reading Ayoob and others. Makes me wonder how ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Defensive Carry University - Chance for you to be the professor

Defensive Carry University - Chance for you to be the professor

As a Newbie, i can't believe how many things I have learned on this board and from reading Ayoob and others.
    Makes me wonder how much more great insights and tidbits are out there.

So I ask you, What is the top one or two things you have learned over the years that has helped you the most.

Time for you to be the Sensei and me the grasshopper.

If it is some confidential DOD thing, you can PM me instead.
    BenGoodLuck and 5lima30ret like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Top--- STAY INSIDE behind closed locked doors. Don't go out to look for trouble.

My natural inclination has been to approach potential trouble, to fling a door open and confront. To open the door between my home and the garage to
    see why there was a noise in there, or why a motion sensor went off. Now I check the cameras first, and as these also have mics, I listen for awhile.

Second to that, carry something non-lethal.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    1. Don't believe stuff on the internet.

2. Confidential DOD things can't be discussed through non-secure emails.
    Jaeger, LuvMyPX4, Bad Bob and 6 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Stay cool. When you sense trouble or things start happening take deep breaths, THINK, and then act deliberately. Your most powerful weapon is the one between your ears, and thinking faster and more clearly is what will make the difference.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I'm a newbie myself, but I think simply paying attention to your surroundings is of the utmost importance. Be aware of where people are, where blind spots are, and just generally what's going on. I see a lot of people walking around with their heads buried in their phones or just generally clueless. You can avoid a pretty high percentage of bad stuff just by being aware of it early.

VIP Member
    Learning to shoot is the easy part. Knowing WHEN too shoot is much, much harder. Read, train and then train some more.

Try not to get hung up on gear. The fight is in the mind and the body, not the tool in the hand.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Just as important as your gun handling and marksmanship skills, good situational awareness, worthy of just as much of your practice time. The gun may get you out of a fix, good S/A will prevent you finding yourself in it to start with. Learn to recognize trouble while it is still far enough away to avoid it, evade it, and deescalate it before it gets out of control. Remember, the gun is a tool of last resort, implying that you use the other tools in your Personal defense arsenal first. Remember also, the supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting, "Sun Tzu" the best way to win a gunfight is to avoid it.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Gun handling and marksmanship aside, you need to know your state's laws on use of firearms in SD, lethal force, etc. That's what's going to get you put away after a SD shooting if nothing else--and SD is what it's all about.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Situational awareness is critical!

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Situational awareness is critical!

Awesome picture.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Even if you perform magnificently, you can still get killed.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Be polite, be professional, and be kind, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Trust no one, and keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Keep your head on a swivel and always know what is going on around you.

Watch their hands not their eyes. Their eyes are not going to kill you.
    LuvMyPX4 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

All my guns and ammo were lost in a terrible boating accident.

Even if you are blatantly open carrying, most people won't notice.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

I second or third or fourth or whatever situational awareness.

I learned about it on here and then even after that I had something funny that happened that made me realize I needed practice. Situational awareness isnt just whats around you at the moment. It's dynamic. To illustrate my point; a short story.

My wife and I were taking our 2 year old son to a local festival that is sort of in a bad neighborhood. We found a great parking spot on a beautiful sunny day. It was like spring in October. I was on my normal lookout and everything looked legit. We went to the festival. Had a great time. Stayed longer than intended. When we left it was dark. The parking spot that was so awesome at 1pm had transformed into something so sketchy that upon approach, my wife, that has newly acquired motherly situational awareness actually stopped walking for a second. There was no light whatsoever and their were some semi trailers between our vehicle and the rest of the festival which was now about 200 yards away. It looked like something out of a movie. It was the perfect trap. I was carrying and she had pepper spray so after some discussion about how to be safe we got out of there. The tension was high though.

I learned that day that situational awareness is very broad. It's what is happening now + what could happen later.

One other thing that i learned on here was something that seems pretty simple but for me took a real effort to change. If you drop your gun, never try to catch it. This will sound like pretty common sense to most people but for me its tough because My entire life i've made a habit of catching things in mid air. I've been gifted with exceptionally fast hands/eyes. If a bar of soap slips out of my hand in the shower, I catch it before it hits the floor. Other people drop things and I catch them. It blows a lot of minds. For me, having somebody on this forum mention that simple rule probably kept me from high risk situation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links