Universal CCW Laws, Any Chance?

This is a discussion on Universal CCW Laws, Any Chance? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I found this forum I have almost been addicted to it. It is refreshing to see others that take CCW as serious as I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal CCW Laws, Any Chance?

Universal CCW Laws, Any Chance?

Since I found this forum I have almost been addicted to it.
    It is refreshing to see others that take CCW as serious as I do.
    I have been reading a lot of the stories where because of a CCW permit holder lives have been saved.
    One thing that became very obvious to me is how different the laws are from state to state.
    Since NC now has reciprocity agreements with 31 other states this means I can legally carry in well over 1/2 the US, however the laws can very greatly.
    Because of states like CA. I doubt we will ever have a nationwide permit, although that would be nice and what should be done. But what about at least a universal CCW set of laws.
    The reciprocity is a fairly new and growing trend. As I have said in other posts I have been out of the latest gun trends for the last 10 years due to illness, and a lot has changed.
    When I first received my CCW 8 years ago NC had no reciprocity agreements with anybody.
    I was shocked when I renewed my permit last June and they gave me a sheet of paper with all the states I was allowed to carry in, however I must obey the laws of that state that pertain to CCW. This can get very confusing.
    I have downloaded the laws for the states I usually find myself in and have them in my truck.
    What are y'alls thoughts on this.
    Do you think one universal set of CCW laws for all states would be a good thing?
    What are the chances that it will happen?

Take Care
    Last edited by NCHornet; December 31st, 2006 at 07:42 PM.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

2. Remove Ads

It's a huge question of state's rights vs. federalism. A lot of control gets tossed out the window when a state gives up its "say" on an issue. Still, with the case of self-defense, I'm of the opinion that it's a simple right of all citizens, acknowledged by the 2A, and that the whole country should basically go the route of Vermont: no real restrictions, other than your use of a firearm (ie, murder=death, robbery=jail, etc). At the moment, people are getting steamrolled with the petty restrictions, convolutions and potholes ... designed, no doubt, to criminalize anyone who carries. It has been a question of power and the abuse of it, IMO, is the biggest reason to get this all settled in clear/simple terms once and for all. Isn't likely to happen at the national level with a Pelosi-controlled group of anti-life thugs in Washington, though.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Different state rules for CCW

I agree that having consistent CCW rules from state to state would be a good thing, but I am not optimistic that we will ever see this. As long as state legislatures have the individual power to set laws in their states, I don't know how we could get them to cooperate and agree. I don't see much consistency in other areas outside of CCW as I go from state to state. Examples would include tax laws, traffic laws, criminal sentencing, etc.

I can also carry in over 30 states, as you can, and when I go on an out of state trip I will prepare by printing out a one page summary of the CCW laws in each state I will visit, and keep it close to me. You can find this information at various places on the Internet. I will study my sheet before I go into a new state, so I have the rules fresh in my mind. I know it is a lot of trouble, but I don't want to make a dumb mistake if I can help it.

One of the more confusing areas of CCW law is carry in places that serve alcohol. The laws in various states run the spectrum, from no carry where alcohol is served, to carry but no drinking where it is served, to carry where 51% or more of revenue is from food, to carry as long as your blood alcohol is under a certain level. Since I don't drink at all, I find these rules annoying, but I still have to abide by the local law in the state involved.

Actually, there are a lot of areas where many (in some cases, all) states have adopted uniform laws, such as the Uniform Commercial Code.

I think there are some pretty big risks to getting the federal government involved in carry laws. Right no carry laws have been so successful that most of the country has shall-issue carry of some sort (some states better than others, of course). Reversing this trend would require action by legislatures in forty-odd states. If the federal government got involved, on the other hand, it would introduce a 'single point of failure'. The election of a few anti-gun congressmen or senators could end up putting carry at risk everywhere. So I'd be more comfortable with states maintaining control over carry.

There is something to be said for voluntary standardization among states, however, perhaps something along the lines of the Uniform Acts I mentioned earlier. Standardized requirements for obtaining a permit could lead to universal reciprocity and with standardized no-carry rules we wouldn't have to check handgunlaw.us every time we go out of state. Even with just standardization among the states, there is the risk that the standardized set of laws would end up being more restrictive than the laws of the individual states. For instance, a set of standardized laws on who gets to carry would almost certainly be stricter than Alaska's or Vermont's (which allow anyone to carry without a permit). Standardized no-carry laws would probably be stricter than Utah's (which allows carry pretty much everywhere and as a really good preemption clause).

From what I have read the CCW trend didn't really start picking up speed until the mid 90s, so it is still a fairly new idea. Hopefully states will start to see the data that has been collected in states that enacted the CCW licenses early and institute their own. Afterall, the crime rates in these areas are much lower than the rates in areas that do not have CCW licenses. At least if every state had a "shall issue" policy things would be better. I'm probably biased towards that since I grew up in California and now live in New York.

I for one, do not ever want to see one federal CCW law adopted for uniformity.
    The reason is simple and 2 fold, ONE, when has the federal government ever gotten involved with anything that did not get screwed up and turn into something that was so far from the original intent that it was unrecognizable?
    TWO, if federal government makes the law, the federal government can suspend and or repeal the law thus stripping all of us in one fell swoop of our right to carry.

Never let the federal government get involved. I'd rather each state handle things themselves like they do right now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Not likely to happen.

Possibly if there are future major or protracted terror attacks on U.S. soil then you might see it happen.

Otherwise...probably never.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

What PT-111 said.

I would like the supreme court to come out with a decision stateing that the second amendment gives all law abiding people the right to cary anywhere they want and in any mode. Also that the second ammendment preemts any law passed by any state county or city.

I don't see it happening, but I like raevans' ideal.

VIP Member
    Raevan, that simply isn't going to happen. I could argue that isn't what the Second Amendment was even trying to say, but that isn't the point. Our legal system relies heavily upon rulings in the past, and those ruling put such a decison out of the realm of possibility.

I would be happy if we could just get a ruling that states that the Second Amendment applies to individuals and not to the collective.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    The only thing I would like the Federal government to do.............

Would be to force ALL states to accept ANY others state's permit, like they have to accept a driver's license. This should even apply to states that aren't shall issue. We should still have to obey each states laws with regards to where it can be carried.

....I know, wishful thinking.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

And those areas where we can carry would be the same in each state! I am not going to say it can't happen or it won't happen because to be honest 8 years ago when I first got my CCW permit I would have never of guessed that I would be able to carry legally in 31 states in just a few years, so anything is possible. I agree with what another member said, make the requirements the same to achieve a permit and then make the rules the same pertaining to what the permit allows the holder to do. Sure makes common sense and for that reason alone may never happen.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Yep. PT111's got it right.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

I, too, would hate to see the federal govt try anything with this. I am a big supporter of states rights. A recommended set of standards and regs would be nice but not likely to be followed. Just one of those things we have to deal with I guess.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links