Does age matter?

Does age matter?

This is a discussion on Does age matter? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may be opening pandora's box by divulging this information, but I am a 17 year old young man, and am currently doing pre-research for ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: Does age matter?

Does age matter?

I may be opening pandora's box by divulging this information, but I am a 17 year old young man, and am currently doing pre-research for my concealed carry permit. (Permits are now being issued to 18 year olds in alabama)

A little background before the question, I have been shooting guns for several years. And I am aware of [and getting used to] the things that come along with the act of concealed carry. (legally, morally, and spiritually) As well as the responsibility that I would be taking on. Regarding attentiveness, practice, safety, as well as inconspicuous carry.

And my reason for carrying is,

A. I work in a retail hardware/feed store, and we frequently have drug addicts come to the store looking for the components to make meth and other drugs, and while at work generally the only other people there with me, are the owner and his wife who are both 85 and 79. So I feel the need to be hyper vigilant when at work, as I am basically the only one physically capable of stoping a robbery. A role I do not relish having, but take seriously.

And then B. My dad does carry and is the protector of our home, but after the multitude of reading I have done, i've noticed that my dads methods of home defense are not as thought out and effective as they might could be. And instead of saying anything to him (and risk sounding rebellious or to prideful) I want to join him in the responsibility of protecting our home, my mother and siblings, without questioning his methods or effectiveness. And preparing myself for when I move out at the same time.

But my question is, how will my age effect my act of carrying? Will it negatively effect my case in a court if I were forced to use my gun against another human being? Will it make open carry completely off limits should I ever feel the need for that? (which I don't foresee) Will my normal teenage activities be negatively effected by having gun in my waist band if responsibly carried?

What other things should I be taking in to account?

Thank you for your time and insight,
    J.

VIP Member
    My personal opinion is that age is irrelevant IF you are mature enough, have the right mindset, have the proper disposition and you are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to carry. Most (not all) young men are not willing to forgo some aspects of being young - going to bars and drinking with friends, willingness to walk away from arguments and conflicts, the way you need to dress to CC, having the diligence to study and train regularly, etc.

Carrying is more about attitude and what is between your ears than anything else.

As for the legal aspects, I see no reason you would be any different than anyone else who legally carries - you are bound by the same laws and as long as you act within them you should be OK. With this said, you could be harassed by authorities more quickly than some of us more experienced people simply because you are young and there could be a presumption that you don't know what you are doing. This makes it even more important for you to understand the laws in your state and to act responsibly.

Carrying does not need to make you a hermit, but it does touch most aspects of your life. Only you can answer that question regarding what sacrifices you are and are not willing to make.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Ricky said it best.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

^^^ What Ricky said
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member
    I agree with what RickyD said. It sounds like you've got your head on somewhat straight so just keep in mind why your doing this. It'll help keep things in perspective.
    WannabeaCPA and Rockymonster like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Ricky D in the house.....Good post sir...

OP, while you seem to be mature, if caught it could affect the rest of your life. My best advise is to wait, train with your father, express your concerns to your dad..Your time will come. Focus on school, enjoy your life, you will not get these years back. Glory days is real to all of us that have made it to 40....
    welder516, RickyD and oldman45 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

State govt. is usually spot on and regard you as worthy of 2nd amendment rights. Go head first into ccwing.
    Just by the demeanor of your thread , I would say you are ready! Best Wishes.
    BenGoodLuck and JaxRolo like this.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Let me add that you present yourself as well spoken with well thought out ideals. I do not know you, but congratulations for sounding like a mature, good natured young man. Not many 17 YO's come across as well as you did in your opening post.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Let me add that you present yourself as well spoken with well thought out ideals. I do not know you, but congratulations for sounding like a mature, good natured young man. Not many 17 YO's come across as well as you did in your opening post.
    +1 on THIS^^^^!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

One critical detail, you mention pursuing this in case of a robbery. One boundary you may notice in this circle is that lethal force is typically utilized only if we or some one near us are threatened with bodily harm. If I'm told to hand over my wallet, I'm handing over my wallet. If I'm sitting in my favorite diner and some one robs the front counter, I'm hanging back unless they try escalate to a direct attack or try taking hostages. While you'll see a lot of people talking about home defense, the most adamant are those with families they need to protect. Even then, the goal is to get everyone in a safe area and guard the door until the police arrive.

Talk to your boss about their insurance policy. If they're robbed, their rates may go up. At worst, you lose a cash register and some power tools. This is a time to question if risking your life to utilize lethal force is worth it in the long run.

As for your pursuing a concealed carry permit at age eighteen...You're asking the right questions and deeply care about those around you. You are definitely ready.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    OP,

Congratulations on your attitude and concerns.

I highly recommend you order Massad Ayoob's book titled "In Gravest Extreme." Read it twice, very carefully. If you have questions about what he means, please come here to ask them. That book is a gold mine of information, by an expert, that goes directly to the heart of your concern.

If you have questions about what he means, please come here and feel free to ask them.

Fitch
    saigaguy, ccw9mm, airslot and 2 others like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I believe maturity matters more than age. Of course should you need to use your weapon, your age and inexperience will be an issue. Attorneys will naturally call your experience into question. Don't let it rattle you, that's what they are there for. My advice is to take as many courses as you can from competent instructors before getting your permit. Just because an instructor has a certificate from a state or federal agency or even the NRA doesn't mean they are competent. Some are only in the business to take your money and give as little as possible for it.
    ccw9mm and flintlock62 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^
    Them!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's good to see young people that have an interest in taking on this level of responsibility, SouthernBoy.

It will be worthwhile for you to hang around this site for a bit, and especially look into the discussions about carry and defensive scenarios (one of the subforums). There is a lot to consider in being armed, and in most cases you will not have time to decide what to do when a situation comes up. You will need to have thought things through and decided what you are willing to do and what you are wise NOT to do before you ever are in that situation. What you read here on this site will help greatly. We are not all always in agreement on everything here, but that just means you will often get all sides of an issue to consider.

Fitch suggested reading "In the Gravest Extreme", and that is a classic and would be a good place to start. PM me if you would like to read it, and I will send you my copy.

Welcome to Defensive Carry!
    airslot likes this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

VIP Member
    If you want to carry , train , study , and keep your nose to the grindstone ( like my Dad said to me ) it will all come in due time . As far as someone coming in the store where you work if i were you i would study up on your laws of this matter ( lethal force ) . If i was you i would play the feild a bit and have fun . And most of all stay away from the poeple or so called friends that are takers they will drag you down .

I wish the best for you and stay focused and set goals .
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links