Can I carry in a Church Gym?

This is a discussion on Can I carry in a Church Gym? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The SC law says: (9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body But ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By heritage1865
  • 1 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 2 Post By NONAME762

Thread: Can I carry in a Church Gym?

The SC law says: (9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body
    But we will be in the gym only. Not planning on going to the sactuary.

Any thoughts?
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

You cannot carry there. It's inside the ediface of the church so it's a no-go.
    BenGoodLuck and StormRhydr like this.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    The SC law says: (9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body
    But we will be in the gym only. Not planning on going to the sactuary.

Any thoughts?
    The law as written states "church" or "other established religious sanctuary", not a "church sanctuary". You would have to get permission from the appropriate church official or governing body to carry anywhere on the church's premises.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Distinguished Member
    I would probably consider the gym part of the church unless it is off-site. The law stipulates church OR other religious sanctuary meaning a temple or other similar religious venue.

Can you get permission?

BGs carry wherever they feel like regardless of rules regulations or laws.
    sdprof and Figbassist75 like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    Assume the most conservative reading of it: if carrying on the property is criminalized, then take that to mean the entire property ... whether it's called a nave, a sanctuary, a parking lot, a yard, a study hall, or any other aspect of that organization's property. Unless you can confirm otherwise and/or get permissions per the statute.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Get permission. If your pastor is anti-gun, does that mean the theology being taught at your church is in alignment with the theology you subscribe? If so, find a new church that more closely matches your beliefs or determine if this is something that is worth compromising on.
    Now here is my opinion part, if I'm willing to compromise on believing carrying a firearm is one effective means of defense I should have, that means I don't truly believe that and would hang up my holster.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

VIP Member
    JMO, but since it is part of the churches property, you would need permission to carry there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I would have to agree with other posters. If gym is on the property of the church it would be a no go and require permission from the appropriate governing body or its representative. Even if the building is rented by the church it is or can be construed to be church "property". Has your church adopted a firearms policy? If not try and get permission just to be on the safe side.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I would tend to believe the same as the others..If it's on church property,you would need permission.

I have to agree with the wording of the law as it was printed. The gym is part of the church and is off limits too. I hate it for you on that one. Across the line in NC, we are allowed to carry in churches unless posted and we also have open carry. I hope that your leaders in SC get with the program and expand your carry rights as ours did last year here in NC.

PM
    Read that as PROPERTY OWNED BY OR USED BY A GROUP CALLING ITSLEF A CHURCH OR RELIGIOUS BODY! In other word what others have already said --You can not carry unless permission is given from whom every in your religious group who has the authority to bless (pun intended) your carrying of a gun says you can carry a gun.

So glad I live in Washington. Only places I can't carry are bars, post offices, and federal buildings. Good luck getting permission to carry if that's the path you choose.

How is the facility listed in the phone book? I would wager they are listed as XYZ Church, 12345 This is a Church St, Somewhere, SC.

I think that would pretty much answer your question.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links