Open carry

Open carry

This is a discussion on Open carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, I want to say hello to everyone. I'm a long, long time lurker. But living overseas never gave me a chance to really give ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open carry

Open carry

First, I want to say hello to everyone. I'm a long, long time lurker. But living overseas never gave me a chance to really give any input into the discussions here. I really enjoy everyone's courtesy and profesional attitude displayed on the boards.

I moved to Arizona, , with my wife back in May. First thing I did was get my CCW. I quickly learned what I should wear, and how I should carry myself while carrying. I never did give a thought to open carry since packing concealed just makes more sense to me. But, I have to say that I'm becoming more and more concerned with the fact that us as Americans seem to have forgotten what it took for us to be an actual FREE nation. I think that today everyone throws around the term free all too often. Because, as we should all know, nothing is free. If we should want to continue with the way we live our lives, then we need to boldly stand for what we believe in. Or we shall inevitably lose what we hold dear to us.

Today, I went out with my 1911 strapped to my hip for all the world to see. I was really just testing the waters, seeing how different kinds of people would react. I went to 2 big name sporting goods/outdoor type places. I could quickly catch people giving me double takes. As if, "Is that really what I think it is?" But nothing out of the ordinary. Except for one old man who asked me for help in the store. I told him I did not work there and he said he saw the gun and just assumed. Then, I went to a gas station. The clerk quickly picked me up on his radar. He watched me as I went about my business and didn't say anything even as I payed.

So what did I learn. For the most part people here in Arizona probably have seen others in the past, or really just don't pay too much attention. For now I'm going to assume the sheep with their head down theory. I"m definatly not going to start open carrying all the time. But now I know that I can whenever I'm up to it. For the people who took the time to read all of that, thank you and remember to keep all rounds down range.

Welcome, welcome from VT!

Welcome to the forum.

an interesting experiement. Can't say I agree with your motivations, but I give you lots of credit for testing your own limits.

unless open carry becomes generally accepted as "normal", I just see it as asking for potential problems. Your story of the gentlemen asking for your assistance just tipifies that, but to each his own I guess.

Welcome again.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Administrator
    OK ~ Now that you've taken the plunge...you really need to start posting more often.

Welcome back to the U.S.

If you were open carrying a 1911 "Cocked & Locked" then everybody was probably doing a "double take" on that fully cocked hammer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

My parents spend most winters in AZ and said that they often see people open carrying there.

I had always thought open would be better than concealed...to act as a deterant. But, the more I read here, it seems open might draw too much attention, as you noticed...it might make it too easy to be disarmed. i.e. if someone KNOWS you're carrying, they just have to wait until you are distracted.

But, better to have it open than not at all. Also, I like your ideas, I think we need to have the whole idea of guns carried for PP more "open" to begin with.

VIP Member
    Welcome. An interesting test that was. The only time I open carry is when I am hunting or going to/from this. I get only the occasional funny look, but then again, it's rural around here and there are few people startled by the sight of a gun.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    I would prefer open carry; but, concealed keeps the goody two shoes quiet, since they don't know they are so near such a dangerous person.

Hello again. Thanks for y'alls welcomes.

I agree that open carry is not the most, dare I say, "Tactful," thing to do. But I'm just not wanting to see some of my rights go away. I probably never will go out open again, but who's to say. I really want more Americans to start practicing their rights more often. I"m constantly getting into conversations at work about guns and the RKBA. I've seen quite a few people who weren't quite sure where they stood on the issue turn around to our side.

And QKShooter, are you telling me that a 1911 is supposed to be carried cocked and locked? I've never heard of such a thing!

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

...and yes, always 'C & L'...(That was a joke, right?)

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    This tends to be a pretty hot-button issue around here. Kinda like the caliber wars. haha

I live up in "northern" AZ. I'm waiting for my permit, but I've been open-carrying here for about 2 years now. I've only had one person confront me about it. Other than that, I've never been bothered except for the occasional "Is that an HK? Nice gun!" Nobody looks twice or really gives me a second thought. During hunting season, you see a lot of it up here. Almost no one cares. Its just normal.

The reason I have never hurried to get my permit is because of the reasons you have listed. I know a few other people around here who OC sometimes even with their permit. I carry because I believe in personal defense. BECAUSE I OC, I spend a lot of time in high yellow.

Welcome to the forums.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I open carry all the time

I live just East of Memphis TN. About 25 miles from Memphis in fact in a small town named Arlington. I open carry here all the time. (now that it is winter I do tend to wear a jacket and as a result I am often concealing my gun) But I can honestly say that here it is no big deal at all. I have never had anyone treat me differently or even ask me about it. No one has freaked out and called the cops. No one has asked me to leave a store or business.

In fact, I am not sure anyone has even noticed the XD on my right hip. It's just that it's not a big deal to anyone. If you don't act like you are doing something wrong or risky, then no one will notice. The gun on my hip is just a part of me. It's normal and as such I do not exhibit any strange body language that may cause anyone to be suspicious or afraid.

Open carry is nothing to be shunned or looked down upon, especially by those of us in the carrying community. It is simply another way of carrying and being ready to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

Welcome to the board and welcome to the carrying world! I hope we hear from you more.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Assistant Administrator
    Greetings from me too

The open vs concealed is an old and rather well worn can'o'worms - and invariably productive of somewhat ''warm'' debate

We all have opinions on the issues and maybe no one is ever totally ''right'' - the main deal I think is that we safely and responsibly maintain our right to be armed - and then probably the way we individually feel best for us in our location and lifestyle.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Open carry is an interesting thought. Not sure I could feel comfortable. I would be a bit worried about someone coming up from behind, just makes me nervous. I like that it's allowed there though, certain situations would be ok for open carry. Welcome to the boards.

Thanks again to everyone.

Since I've been carrying, concealed of course, I can totally rely on myself to protect me and my own. This is something that I feel is just God given. The right to protect our loved ones and ourselves isn't for politicians or the law to decide. It is up to all of us to make that decision for ourselves. Since I carry my wife has taken some interest and now wants me to buy her a XD. But she continues to wait until she has recieved some more practice and until she feels that she can take someone's life to protect her own.

I only see open carry as another way for us to express ourselves to the outside world. If the sheeple can observe people walking around acting as they do, and not causing big scenes, then maybe they will not percieve guns as evil. And realize that it is just a handful of people that are evil. Just my thoughts.

Oh and btw - retsupt99 - Yes, I definatly was joking.

VIP Member
    Welcome.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links