Questions for a neewbie...in sunny SW FLorida

Questions for a neewbie...in sunny SW FLorida

This is a discussion on Questions for a neewbie...in sunny SW FLorida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone! I am new to DC and, quite frankly, new to the firearms topic all together. I've always believed that as Americans we ABSOLUTELY ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Questions for a neewbie...in sunny SW FLorida

New Member Array Packer_Backer13's Avatar

Cool Questions for a neewbie...in sunny SW FLorida

Hello Everyone!

I am new to DC and, quite frankly, new to the firearms topic all together. I've always believed that as Americans we ABSOLUTELY have an uncompromisable RIGHT to bear arms, but have never felt the need to own one myself.

Well, all of that changed soon after I got married to the love of my life, last September. The thought of something happening to my wife, or future children, is something that seriously gives me nightmares. I've had my (then) girlfriend carry mace since very early on in our relationship, but with us just starting our lives now (I graduate college in Wisconsin in May and we are moving to SW Florida right after) and purchasing our own home soon and me starting my career, thus not being around nearly as much, I feel like her key chain mace isn't gonna cut it anymore to say the least.

So, I'm looking for advice on a few subjects, if y'all would be so kind...

1) Whats the best gun for my wife, ideally at least 9 mm, that is both dependable, lightweight and can be "personalized in pink or some ****, at least"?, says the wife....apparently that's a deal-breaker lol!

2) I am starting a new career where I AM allowed to be (really encouraged, actually, it's a family owned business) armed, but have to bussiness professional clothing (dress pants, button-up dress shirt, suit jacket/blazer....no tie necessary, this is SW FL). My ideal gun is a 40 cal, possibly smaller but ideally NOT a 9 mm, that is dependable, lightweight, allows for the addition of laser sight, and can be worn discreetly in a business suit?

3) what is the best holster to conceal said handgun in a business suit, belt or shoulder or something else? I real do NOT want to get specially tailored pants...

THANKS!!!

I look forward to your responses..

Couple of ranges in Naples rent weapons make a day of it try as many as you like easiest way for her to know. Most any of the polymer weapons can be painted. Anything else can be personalized by changing grips.

New Member Array Packer_Backer13's Avatar
    Thanks E8!

Actually, we arent in Naples, YET, we move after I graduate in May.

I'm kinda just trying to look and browse and learn as much as I can before we get there and actually purchase..plus ideally, I'd like to try to keep the total of both guns at or around $1000.

Any thoughts?

you got a double post going on here. Somehow you posted this twice, i answered in the other thread you have running.

VIP Member
    Find a range that rents a variety of guns to shoot. Let your wife decide what fits her best. As for color, any poly frame gun and most metal frame guns can be color customized. Same for you on choosing a gun. Shoot as many as you can before deciding. Since you don't want to alter the size of your pants, I'd suggest either OWB (outside the waist band) or shoulder holster. Just remember, going with those styles will require you to keep your coat on at all times. If you go OWB, one of the most important things will be a high quality gun belt to support the weight.
    Black Knight likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like you are in the midst of making some big decisions.
    Got married
    Want to protect you and her
    Want her to protect herself
    Came to the best place on the web for answers
    Stick around, and you will learn a lot.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

If you have not yet both of you should get a ccw .. Makes getting and transporting guns a lot easier .. As for holster for OWB raven is tight to the body as are some galco and desantis rigs and Milt sparks and others like Crown .. As for guns maybe a glock 19 and 23 or m&p in 9 and 40 ? Both easy to use and clean guns .. But do try them all out if you can and see what you like ..

Also note they make ladymsith guns s&w does that look nice to me .. I know the bretta nano and sigs come in pink as do DB guns .. But most guns can be painted anything PinkGlock_500.jpg

Shoulder holster are ok but take more training to draw and fire from ..
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Welcome to the forum and to the world of defensive carry. I agree with getting your hands on and firing as many guns as possible prior to picking one. This forum is also a great resource for reviews and opinions once you've narrowed down your search. For the lady, check out DuraCoat Refinishing | Hand Guns & Accessories | T & Z Armory for some good ideas. I believe they are also a sponsor here. Good luck and welcome again.

I know this sounds odd but once you have your weapon of choice get a variety of good holsters and practice wearing them. Until I get my CCL I wear an empty holster when I'm not at home. I wear it full when I am at home.

I'm glad you picked Atleast a 9mm but from there you just only need to make suggestions to your wife and let her pick what she wants. The first time I bought my wife a gun I bought what I though she should have with little input from her. And guess what? She never carried it and she never wanted to shoot it. The second time she got her XDm and loves it. So I recommend the XDm series or XDs which are single stack. The M&A Shield is another single stack so they fit smaller hands better. Just make sure she shoots them ahead of time.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If I had to wear a suit/sport jacket, I'd consider a shoulder rig. No matter what you choose, unless you're very lucky, you'll have to dress around your gun. As for what gun, there are so many options available it's a try-one-until-you-find-the-right-one situation.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

M&P 9 compact for her, M&P 40 compact for you. Same holsters and all. Done deal. About a grand for the pair, around here anyway.

And I do believe pink backstraps are available.

Welcome to Florida...

Like everyone else says it would be better IMO to let the wife choose her own gun. There is no shortage of pink guns.

As far as wearing a suit or sports jacket... They tend to come off during the heat... While I like a shoulder holster, I cant recomend that for under a jacket in Fla. A smaller gun in an owb/iwb about 4:00. You can untuck a portion of your shirt to cover it is you must take the jacket off. Another option is something called thunderwear... Uncomfortable but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Packer_Backer13 View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I am new to DC and, quite frankly, new to the firearms topic all together. I've always believed that as Americans we ABSOLUTELY have an uncompromisable RIGHT to bear arms, but have never felt the need to own one myself.

Well, all of that changed soon after I got married to the love of my life, last September. The thought of something happening to my wife, or future children, is something that seriously gives me nightmares. I've had my (then) girlfriend carry mace since very early on in our relationship, but with us just starting our lives now (I graduate college in Wisconsin in May and we are moving to SW Florida right after) and purchasing our own home soon and me starting my career, thus not being around nearly as much, I feel like her key chain mace isn't gonna cut it anymore to say the least.

So, I'm looking for advice on a few subjects, if y'all would be so kind...

1) Whats the best gun for my wife, ideally at least 9 mm, that is both dependable, lightweight and can be "personalized in pink or some ****, at least"?, says the wife....apparently that's a deal-breaker lol!

2) I am starting a new career where I AM allowed to be (really encouraged, actually, it's a family owned business) armed, but have to bussiness professional clothing (dress pants, button-up dress shirt, suit jacket/blazer....no tie necessary, this is SW FL). My ideal gun is a 40 cal, possibly smaller but ideally NOT a 9 mm, that is dependable, lightweight, allows for the addition of laser sight, and can be worn discreetly in a business suit?

3) what is the best holster to conceal said handgun in a business suit, belt or shoulder or something else? I real do NOT want to get specially tailored pants...

THANKS!!!

I look forward to your responses..
    Business suit? In SWFL? Not going to happen other than maybe inside your office. Once out the door you will not be wearing a jacket except maybe 3-4 days in February.
    It is hard to carry a full sized weapon in this climate where you are going to spend far more time in shorts and a tee or polo. I suggest a good compact gun. You may not like 9mm, but things like the nano, shield (40) or other compact are easy to carry in Florida clothes. You can pocket carry with a holster or IWB. I can even carry IWB in drawstring gym shorts with mine.
    When I need to "dress it up" it is usually khakis or jeans with an untucked polo or button down that allows me to carry a full size IWB.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

I worked for a business in your area of Southwest Florida where a suit or sports coat were required business attire even in the summer. The coat was always off inside my office, but on to meet any customers including outside in the summer. A Sig P938 9mm or a Springfield XDs 9mm or .45 ACP in a pocket holster would be my recommendation.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links