I almost shot someone last night

This is a discussion on I almost shot someone last night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This was by far the scariest night of my life, and it should have never happened. My girl and I went over to a friends ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree287Likes

Thread: I almost shot someone last night

This was by far the scariest night of my life, and it should have never happened.
    My girl and I went over to a friends house for game-night. We played some cards against humanity and watched Aliens (Alien 2, I'm giving my friends an education on amazing movies from the 80's, one movie per week).
    Just after midnight we decided to head home, stopping along the way to pick up a few packs of smokes because i only had 3 cigs left. I've been going to this convenience store for over two years. The owner and i know each other by name and tend to swap stories and jokes every time i come in.
    As I bend down to enter my pin, the door behind me opens, and i hear those dreadful words "nobody move, this is a stick-up"
    This unknown man then walks up beside me and slaps a hand on my shoulder. Without thinking i kinda throw myself into him with a shoulder-thrust hard enough to make us both fall. As fast as i can, i draw and hold sights on him. He looks like he's just ruined his pants and i probably have a similar expression on my face.
    He puts his hands in the air and says "whoa, whoa! it was a joke man. i was just screwin' with ya"
    The guy behind the counter was on the floor, probably crouched to stay out of sight, line of fire, whatever you want to call it.

I yell at the guy on the ground to keep his hands in the air as i get to my feet and i tell the cashier to call 911. From the office room / storage room behind the cashier another employee walks out and nearly looses his pants at the sight of a gunman (me) in the store. a few moments later he looks at the guy on the ground and says
    "Oh my god, what the hell is going on"

As it turns out, the guy who was "robbing" the store, was the other cashier's older brother (the one that was in the back-room). He had come into town on his long drive home from spring break at the coast and thought he would hang out with his little brother (thinking he would be the one behind the counter and it would be a "ha-ha funny" kinda moment). He thought i was his brother as he walked up behind me, prompting him to say and do what he did.

The older cashier never got the 911 call out, so no incident reports were filed. And i spent the next 10 minutes yelling at the punk on the ground that no matter how funny he thought that idea was, that kind of stuff CANNOT be done jokingly, that he almost lost his life. But it took me a good 30 minutes and about 4 cigarettes smoked back-to-back before i could calm my nerves enough to drive me and the missus home. In-short, it was one of the scariest, most adrenaline filled moments of my life, I'm just glad i had the little control and practice I've had to not reflex-pull the trigger, or that could've ruined some poor kids life.

I don't know why I'm posting this other than to voice my mind about how important training is, and that maybe a few people reading this might decide to take a class or two. At a bare minimum, find a range that will let you holster-draw so you can get practice with live rounds, your shot placement, and identifying a target thoroughly before taking a shot.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 30th, 2014 at 11:35 PM.

VIP Member
    Scary situation, glad everything worked out. In today’s world yelling “This is a robbery” is about as smart as walking up to a group of people and saying “I have a bomb”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well I for one, say you did fine. Hell, I think you did damn good.

Good job knocking the idiot down and getting the drop on him. And you are 100% right, the fact that some moron thought he'd try to be funny almost got him killed. One thing though that I think you might have missed, and this really isn't a criticism at all but, your life would most likely have been ruined as well. Financially and emotionally once you knew the person you shot was not armed and was not really robbing the store. As I say, I do not fault you at all in your reaction. I think you did well. Just one more bite of what was a big crap sandwich you sadly found yourself in the middle of through no fault of your own.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I applaud your enthusiasm, but question your sudden reaction. If you both were thrown on the floor, and he really was a robber, chances are he would have already have had a gun drawn, and possibly on you.
    And chances are he would have had an partner in crime.
    Either way, you would have made a bad situation worse, and probably got "smoked", before you could get your smokes.
    Can't see how any training that is worth a hoot could have led you into that direction.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    First off: I'm glad you and everyone else are ok/safe/etc. That's the most important thing. You are right...scary stuff. I'm not going to play "Monday morning quarterback" on this one. Not sure what I would have done. My only question is are you sure you want to post this? Should you wait a few weeks until this fully blows over and then re-post? Just for legality sake? I'm no lawyer...just thinking "out loud". It's a great defensive scenario that you lived through that will provide you and the rest of us some very teachable moments about situational awareness and thinking through a defensive mindset.

And msgt/ret you are right...it's like yelling bomb on a plane or fire in a movie theather. We just can't do or say things like that.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Just goes to prove that smoking is hazardous to your health and possibly those around you.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Talking about robbery inside a convenience store is about as unfunny as talking about a bomb at the airport.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

It was hard to get from your original story but did you turn around and look at the person coming in? This is one thing I am a maximum about and absolutely if I was in a gas station/convenience store/Walgreens late at night because they are high risk locations. I think identifying people around you are critical and gives you valuable insight to their intention. Like guy might have been walking in there with a huge smile on his face before he said he was robbing the place. Clearly not definitive but gives you more information to work with.

Man, glad everyone's okay. I went through a brown trousers moment once and I know you can't know what you'll do until you're there. Then you spend the next ten years living it over again and wondering if you should have done something different. What I do know is, unless you've had something that intense happen to you, go easy on giving your two cents worth of what You would have done or not done regardless of what you think you would do because you really don't know until you've been there,
    Again, glad everyone is okay.

VIP Member
    Well... I think it's time to quit smoking!

Ke-rap! That was too dang close!
    Curzyk, tcox4freedom and phreddy like this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Stupid stunts can result in the final count down, for keeps.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I applaud your enthusiasm, but question your sudden reaction. If you both were thrown on the floor, and he really was a robber, chances are he would have already have had a gun drawn, and possibly on you.
    And chances are he would have had an partner in crime.
    Either way, you would have made a bad situation worse, and probably got "smoked", before you could get your smokes.
    Can't see how any training that is worth a hoot could have led you into that direction.
    ^This^

I also appreciate your willingness to deal with a situation - not many people are willing to act right away and this guy clearly made a very bad error; however acting without assessing the situation could get you in a lot of trouble in more ways than one. Very happy that it all worked out OK!
    molleur likes this.

FAR be it from me to judge anyone's actions in a situation like this. You did what you did in a seemingly bad situation. You reacted and adapted. You drew a bead on who you thought was the bad guy and held him. Good enough for me. Many "training junkies" will find fault and closely scrutinize your actions. They will say you shoulda done this or that. They will say "why didn't you wait to see if there was an accomplice?" and so on. The fact is you reacted when your chips were down. You are golden and with shiney cajones in my book. Glad you and the dumb school boy are both able to go home to your families.

He was an idiot that you taught a lesson to ; did you do the right thing? Who cares it worked :-)

Just ' bout the action Boss...

Well it's been 2 and a half hours since the OP placed this thread. Anyone care to make odds on when he reappears to answer to the replies?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links