Carrying more than 1 gun

Carrying more than 1 gun

This is a discussion on Carrying more than 1 gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think everyone who carries a firearm - myself included - are somewhat paranoid about something happening to them. That's not to say that we ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Carrying more than 1 gun

Carrying more than 1 gun

I think everyone who carries a firearm - myself included - are somewhat paranoid about something happening to them. That's not to say that we shouldn't carry a weapon for protection, just that we're a little paranoid... or maybe just more cautious than most.

That being said, I'm trying to understand those that carry more than 1 weapon, and especially more than 2. Carrying a backup I can kind of understand: something could go wrong with your primary, or it could be taken from you. But TWO backups seems a little much to me.

Can someone point to an incident where having 2 backups has been needed, or saved someone's life? Not more than 1 magazine; more than 1 gun. I just have trouble imagining a situation where a civilian would need 3 weapons. Hell, more than 1 spare magazine seems like a bit much for a civilian. When was the last time one got in a protracted firefight with a criminal? Usually they just flee when you shoot back at them, because after all criminals are usually cowards.

Anyway, maybe I'm being nieve, but I just don't see it.

Distinguished Member
    I only have one gun at present (maybe for long time ?). But, if I had multiple guns, it would depend where and when I was going. Middle of day to local store, carry 1. Night time to same store, carry 2. Store across town late at night in bad section of town, just because they are still open, carry 3. In all cases I would also be carrying a spare mag for each gun.

It's not that I am paranoid, I am cautious and want to be prepared for what could happen. I can not control the actions of a BG, but I can control the resources and reaction to that BG.
    Oreste likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

As far as I'm concerned, what other people choose to carry is totally up to them. If someone feels comfortable with a two shot derringer, and no extra ammo, that's fine with me. If another person feels it necessary to carry three guns and six reloads, I say, go for it. We can quote statistics or probability, and play, "what ifs" all day, but it still comes down to personal choice.
    Pete63, Onelung, OD* and 3 others like this.

I usually carry one 1911 with one spare mag (16 rounds)..If we go to a big event or block party where there will be tons of people, i might carry 2 spares while my girlfriend will carry a CZ. Call it paranoid or whatever, i call it insurance...
    Pete63 and Secret Spuk like this.

The rationale for carrying a backup gun has been fairly well described by Massad Ayoob and others. Basically, the scenarios are: 1) your strong side is injured or engaged, say by grappling with the BG, 2) in the case of a jam, failure of the primary, or out of ammo, drawing the BUG may be quicker, 3)the BUG can be given to another, say spouse, to use if needed.
    Admittedly, much of his experience is from the law enforcement community, and we are talking about a rare development in a rare situation, but these things have happened.
    Carrying more than two? Well now, that's just being extravagant .
    tdave, maxwell97 and kaikane0812 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryMB View Post
    The rationale for carrying a backup gun has been fairly well described by Massad Ayoob and others. Basically, the scenarios are: 1) your strong side is injured or engaged, say by grappling with the BG, 2) in the case of a jam, failure of the primary, or out of ammo, drawing the BUG may be quicker, 3)the BUG can be given to another, say spouse, to use if needed.
    Admittedly, much of his experience is from the law enforcement community, and we are talking about a rare development in a rare situation, but these things have happened.
    Carrying more than two? Well now, that's just being extravagant .
    Another possibility is positional access. If you are seated in a vehicle a gun staged in the vehicle or an ankle holster may be better accessed than one worn around the waist. If you are at a place of business or home where you are going to move around a defined area prestaged weapons can be accessed from under counters drawers or other areas.
    Less common though still possible maybe different weapon capabilities. Someone may have a S&W 638 on person for concealment or pocket access and a Sig 210 for greater accuracy. This could also be seen as one for two legged predators and one for four legged.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    I carry Two Snubs at all times. I can arm someone els if needed or I have One available on the off hand side incase of injury on the Right hand side.
    cjkent likes this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Usually just one in the warmer months.

In the winter I usually have a snub or two in my coat pockets where I can get to them quickly.

Off duty, I do not feel I need more than my G27. Besides my wife carries, if I need a back up, I'm sure she would assist.
    manolito and fredg53 like this.

In urban areas where help is minutes away, I carry one of my 5" 1911s in . 45 ACP or 10mm plus a spare magazine as a primary and either a Sig P938 9mm or a Springfield Armory XDs-45 plus a spare magazine as a pocket BUG. In rural areas where help may be hours away, I often switch the 1911 for a Glock G20 SF or an FNH FNX-45 Tactical with two spare fifteen round magazines. In wooded areas with potential black bear or cougar encounters, I often switch to a 4" .357 magnum or .44 magnum revolver with two speed loaders. The pocket BUG is always there.

Before I retired the last time, I often worked alone many miles off road in extremely remote areas. I drove a four wheel drive truck as far as possible and often walked to my destinations. Encounters with marijuana farmers or survivalist groups was a potential so I carried the Glock G20 SF and two spare magazines. In brown bear areas, I also carried a 5" S&W 460 magnum revolver with two speed loaders. In black bear areas, I carried a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum instead of the 460 magnum. The pocket BUG is always there.
    OD* likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, what other people choose to carry is totally up to them. If someone feels comfortable with a two shot derringer, and no extra ammo, that's fine with me. If another person feels it necessary to carry three guns and six reloads, I say, go for it. We can quote statistics or probability, and play, "what ifs" all day, but it still comes down to personal choice.
    Agree^^

I think we call this Liberty or some odd word like this.
    OD* and sensei2 like this.

I dont carry a gun because im paranoid, because im not paranoid. You should avoid blanket statements.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    OD* and BkCo1 like this.

Look, some people carry A gun. And that might be more than they ever thought they would carry.

They probably go to the range, and stand stock still, aiming carefully, and fire at paper targets that also dont move. When they figure that they are REALLY rocking, they start practicing at 25 yards.

Perhaps they also envision encountering a scofflaw, upon whom they will draw their weapon, and command them to cease and desist.

Others of us think that is a great way to end up dead. That what you should be training for, and thinking of, is a sudden and probably violent confrontation. "A FIGHT".

And if its a fight, its a life and death fight. Things will be hectic, and moving.

Muggers have something in common with hunters. They both know where their targets move, and where best to jump them.

Your first indication of trouble just might be when you have a 2 X 4 slammed into your face as you walk past the side of a building.

I want every advantage I can get in such a situation. The deck is already stacked against us.

I've never understood the need to judge what someone else does or does not carry.

It makes no difference to me one way or another.

Either you perceive a need for a BUG or you don't. No argument from relative strangers is likely to change that.
    OD*, molleur, sensei2 and 2 others like this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links