Oklahoma Law Help

This is a discussion on Oklahoma Law Help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm new to these forums and am seeking an interpretation on the SDA (Self-Defense Act) Law in Oklahoma. I am a college student with ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By malexander

Thread: Oklahoma Law Help

Oklahoma Law Help

Hello,

I'm new to these forums and am seeking an interpretation on the SDA (Self-Defense Act) Law in Oklahoma. I am a college student with a concealed carry permit and am confused on the following law. The law reads:

For purposes of this subsection, the following property shall not be construed as prohibited for persons having a valid handgun license:
    1. Any property set aside for the use or parking of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, provided the handgun is carried or stored as required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle without the prior consent of the college or university president or technology center school administrator while the vehicle is on any college, university, or technology center school property;
    2. Any property authorized for possession or use of handguns by college, university, or technology center school policy; and
    3. Any property authorized by the written consent of the college or university president or technology center school administrator, provided the written consent is carried with the handgun and the valid handgun license while on college, university, or technology center school property.

Whenever I have to go to campus, I disarm myself and lock my firearm in the glovebox of my car (in accordance with #1). However, I am always studying at the library until very late and usually have to walk to my car from the library at around 2 am every night. Say I am getting in my car in the university parking garage at 2 am and am the victim of an armed robbery. If I am able to gain access to my firearm, would I be justified in using it or not, based on the wording of #1? Also, getting prior consent from the university president to carry the firearm on campus is not an option. It is written in the law, however the president of my university (University of Oklahoma) has never granted consent to anyone. I have emailed the OSBI to ask them about this and they said they are not able to answer questions like this.

Thank you!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BK2681 View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to these forums and am seeking an interpretation on the SDA (Self-Defense Act) Law in Oklahoma. I am a college student with a concealed carry permit and am confused on the following law. The law reads:

For purposes of this subsection, the following property shall not be construed as prohibited for persons having a valid handgun license:
    1. Any property set aside for the use or parking of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, provided the handgun is carried or stored as required by law and the handgun is not removed from the vehicle without the prior consent of the college or university president or technology center school administrator while the vehicle is on any college, university, or technology center school property;
    2. Any property authorized for possession or use of handguns by college, university, or technology center school policy; and
    3. Any property authorized by the written consent of the college or university president or technology center school administrator, provided the written consent is carried with the handgun and the valid handgun license while on college, university, or technology center school property.

Whenever I have to go to campus, I disarm myself and lock my firearm in the glovebox of my car (in accordance with #1). However, I am always studying at the library until very late and usually have to walk to my car from the library at around 2 am every night. Say I am getting in my car in the university parking garage at 2 am and am the victim of an armed robbery. If I am able to gain access to my firearm, would I be justified in using it or not, based on the wording of #1? Also, getting prior consent from the university president to carry the firearm on campus is not an option. It is written in the law, however the president of my university (University of Oklahoma) has never granted consent to anyone. I have emailed the OSBI to ask them about this and they said they are not able to answer questions like this.

Thank you!
    Check out oklahomashooters.com, there's lots of lawyers on there.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Do not follow legal advice given on the internet. There is not one of us who will serve your prison term for you if we are wrong.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links