The dreaded NICS "Delay" - infuriatingly random

This is a discussion on The dreaded NICS "Delay" - infuriatingly random within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read the forums and I know it can happen to anybody but the apparent randomness is what really boggles my mind. I was "delayed" ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The dreaded NICS "Delay" - infuriatingly random

The dreaded NICS "Delay" - infuriatingly random

I've read the forums and I know it can happen to anybody but the apparent randomness is what really boggles my mind.

I was "delayed" for a Taurus literally last week. 2 weeks before that approved for a Citadel 1911. All told 5 handguns since January. First four all approved on site until the Taurus delay.

Sunday afternoon? No go again.

I have no doubt whatsoever that a "Proceed" will be issued, but they sure as shootin didn't issue it today (Monday). Tomorrow? Hopefully. Of course there are the stories about the folks left hanging for the full 3 days with no response at all.

I just don't get it.
    Dan060 likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

2. Remove Ads

it happened to me too. last year I got a delay with no call back, after 7 days the let me pick it up. 2 weeks ago went to purchase a DPMS .308 got a proceed, go figure.

it can happen if you are buying a lot of guns. And 5 in 3 months can be considered a lot.

I've heard that a NICS "delay" often results from increased volume at the NICS call center, and not necessarily due to anything about you individually.
    Longstreet, 357and40 and OldVet like this.

also by law if you dont here back within a certain amount of days they can legally release the weapon to you, but most wont.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    The longest i ever waited was the time it took to fill out the paperwork..Once i went to buy a firearm and couldn't find my CWP..The dealer called to run a background check and it might have took 10 mins.. That said,i guess i have been lucky so far.
    357and40 likes this.

If you have a common name and don't include your social security number, the computer will flag any names with records similar to your name. Then someone has to research.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Since being in this country (14 years) I have bought around 10 guns, of those 10 only 2 have gone through without a delay. Every delay has only been till the next morning, i've always put it down to being an alien....

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

RebelSoul,i'm just curious,do you have a CWP?

Maybe flagged for buying 5 handguns in 3 months? Not saying that is proper justification, just the first idea that popped in my head. In KY our CC permit lets us bypass a check when buying.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

I get delayed for at least one day every time.
    U.S. Navy vet
    "...got a shotgun, a rifle and a .45........"

I've only bought 2 new firearms..One was a handgun the other a rifle..I used my cwp for the back ground checks..No delays on either thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan060 View Post
    RebelSoul,i'm just curious,do you have a CWP?
    Yes - and let me rant some more about that.

Sunday I didn't have it on me. We went to PSA straight from church to get cleaning supplies, and I randomly decided to pull the trigger on a .45. So at least I get why they called it in even though it seems preposterous that someone with a valid CWP would be denied.

With the Taurus, I had it with me but the FFL was a mom & pop working out of his house - low bid on gun genie is why I used him. I figured he would definitely let it go with CWP but he said he calls every one in - no matter what. So basically twice in a row a valid, up to date CWP delayed. I'll take the heat at PSA since I left it at home but it boggles the mind that it happened twice so randomly.

I guess 5 guns in a year could be considered a lot - it is to my girl hahaha - but I think to someone flagging big time buyers 5 would be miniscule. Who knows?

Does anyone know if each call is a brand new background check? It just seems like a waste of time and technology to not have "notes" kept or something.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

I gotcha now and that sucks..Like i said in the other post,i couldn't find mine one time when i went to buy one and they called it in..That's been it for me.I'm an old fart and got my CWP back in 2001..

i bought a few firearms before 2001 but never been denied.I don't know anything other than they call SLED.

Every business has excepted my permit,but i've usually bought a firearm from one of three stores.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    Does anyone know if each call is a brand new background check? It just seems like a waste of time and technology to not have "notes" kept or something.
    I read or heard that yes, each call is a new check. That is because you might have done something criminal since the last time you purchased a gun legally and you are now not allowed to purchase one. That sort of made sense to me.

We had to wait almost an hour one time a few years ago. We learned that Thanksgiving weekend is not the best time to buy a gun -- phone lines all tied up because everyone is doing their Christmas gun shopping. No, I can't remember if it was Black Friday specifically. The gun store sure was crowded that day, though, with people looking, choosing and waiting for their purchase approvals!!!!
    deaconswife likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links