Best way to carry?

This is a discussion on Best way to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be taking a Defensive Gun class at the end of Jan ’07 so it will most likely answer this question or at least ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to carry?

Thumbs up Best way to carry?

I will be taking a Defensive Gun class at the end of Jan ’07 so it will most likely answer this question or at least address it. But I would like the opinion of the seasoned carry people on this site. As for CC, I know about strong side carry and practice, practice, practice. But for a newbie like myself, it feels easier to draw from a cross carry than strong side. Is this just cuz I am a newbie or is it personal preference, is one 'better' than the other?

So I guess the actual question is “How do you carry? Strong side / cross carry, waste band / fanny pack / ankle / etc?

If there is a current thread on this subject, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Look around you'll find some discussion on the topic. Personally I carry strong side around 3:15.

Cross carry has a couple of disadvantages:

1) It can be difficult to draw safely on the range. If you're lined up with a bunch of other people on the firing line, it's almost certain that you're going to sweep the person to your left (assuming you're right handed) when drawing from a cross draw or shoulder holster. If you want to practice this way you should really stand and the extreme left end of the line.

2) It presents your gun for a very easy gun grab. If someone is facing you, a gun in a cross draw holster is oriented properly for them to draw it, as well as being further forward on your body. It's definitely easier for someone to grab. Now, carrying concealed means the risk of a gun grab isn't as big as it is for police officers and others who carry openly. However, even apart from a gun grab, drawing from a cross draw holster requires you to swing the pistol across the front of your body, giving an assailant a chance to attack your strong side arm. Finally, most trainers and books on concealed carry teach the Interview Stance as a way to deal with possibly dangerous threats (basically take a step forward with your weak side leg and rotate your shoulders about 45 degrees with the weak side forward). With a strong side holster this puts your gun as far from the potential assailant as possible, but with a cross draw it does just the opposite.

I think there are some pretty good reasons not to go with a cross draw (most of which also apply to a shoulder rig). Strong side hip is the standard for a reason.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; January 1st, 2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Very good advice ...Blackeagle....I would have said the same ! As a instructor myself I won't allow cross draw holsters or shoulder holsters on the firing line .
    "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing."

Edmond Burke

IWB...Strong Side For Me...

I prefer IWB at about 4-4:30...or ocassionally...SOB at 5:30...depends upon where I'm going...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    this topic has as many variables and opions as caliber choice and open vs concealed

....IMO....bottom line = you have to experiment to find what suits you best. During the work day I carry IWB with a tuckable holster all day, at home I wear a Fobus OWB paddle holster, in the car I use the Fobus OWB paddle or a cross draw (I used to wear a shoulder rig in the car but neck/back injury from car wreck 3 years ago doesn't make that fun anymore)

try different ones and join the club of having a box/drawer full of holsters LOL, or try out holsters from some of your friends/fellow shooters at the range
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

i carry appendix and cross draw if i have 2 guns. if only one, it's appendix.

i have an old shoulder injury that makes strong side carry too difficult to draw from if i've been working during the day.

VIP Member
    Strong side, IWB or OWB or appendix IWB are the only options I would consider. These are fast, easy to conceal, and safe. In the real world, these are the only thing that matters. If cross-draw seems faster, you just haven't practiced enough. So, go unload and get to work.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Above all else, with all things being equal, the formost way to carry a pistol for personal defense is OTB or ITP on your strong side. Its the fastest, easiest to protect from a disarm. That said there are other was to carry for various reasons. For me, when I can wear my shirts untucked its ITP but when I'm in business or business casual its a UC Comfort t-shirt holster. When I'm driving on a road trip or working a protective detail as the driver, its a quality shoulder holster. My gym holster is a Galco fanny pack and my beach rig is a Thunderwear holster. Pretty much sums up my list and they have work well for me over the past 20 years + and to date I havent been spoted cept once and it was a OTB holster with a to tight t-shirt when I rushed out of the house without checking a mirror (make that mistake once and its enough).

I'll go back to my cage now.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Administrator
    Initially...I would try to get used to carrying OWB at right around 3:30 O'Clock with a good top quality holster and high quality gun belt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Strong side, IWB or OWB or appendix IWB are the only options I would consider. These are fast, easy to conceal, and safe. In the real world, these are the only thing that matters. If cross-draw seems faster, you just haven't practiced enough. So, go unload and get to work.
    Didn't say it was faster, just easier to pull. It is true, I DO need to practice A LOT more. Appreciate the input Echo-Four and all others!

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    this topic has as many variables and opions as caliber choice and open vs concealed

try different ones and join the club of having a box/drawer full of holsters LOL, or try out holsters from some of your friends/fellow shooters at the range
    No one ever said deciding to carry was going to be cheap. But then not carrying can be VERY expensive. Looks like I will start my collection of holsters for each gun.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I agree with many of these posts. However, one point hasn't been made from what I've seen.

Shooting from a retention position would be extremely hard considering possible scenarios. Having to cross-draw to a retention isn't something I would want to do. I'm sure that it is possible to do an extremely fast draw to retention with a lot of practice, but there are other possibilities. Like this:

You are in an area where there are a few people. Your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend is suddenly assualted. You goto an immediate red and the adreniline cocktail hits your blood. Train as much as you want, but once the SHTF like that, its near impossible to train for it. I'd hate to think that an accidental touch on the trigger turns to a round disacharged someplace other than into the aforemention BG.

I won't discount guys who cross-carry. Most importantly - a carry weapon is a carry weapon. Its infinitely better than sheeply tendencies. Just make sure you practice, practice, practice. It wouldn't hurt to have someone shout at you while you do it, either. I am just concerned about the barrel covering so many unknowns on the draw under extreme stress.

Be careful, but there is nothing bad about carrying in an way as long as you are safe.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

You have received some very good advice. I will admit I thought cross draw was the right way for me until I had some SD training. Do this, stand in front of a mirror and in slow motion perform a cross draw, notice how har your arm must travel, notice where the business end of the weapon is pointed in relation to where the BG is likely to be standing (facing you), now do the same thing using a strong side position. It will be clear the strong side requires far less movement, the gun comes on point much faster, you are able to keep the weapon tucked in tight to the body. I think it will be perfectly clear after you do this routine.
    As far as holsters, THERE IS NOT ONE HOLSTER for all guns and all carry conditions!! In order to properly carry concealed you will need an assortment of holsters. I have three different guns that I use for carrying concealed. I have a pancake holster worn at 3:15 for each of them, I also have a pocket holster for the smaller BUG, I have a belly band holster for deeper concealment, these are mostly one size fits all, and I also have a ankle holster however it is rarely used. I am also considering a new addition either the pager pal, or the smart carry. Haven't decided yet. Both of these would require looser fitting jeans than I normally wear so I am still deciding. I recently bought a Bianchi Carry Loc that I like very much. It is a full retention holster that doesn't slow draw speed one bit, due to the placement of the release lever. My best suggestion is to practice (unloaded) from many different positions, standing, sitting etc... Nobody knows your body, and your life style better than you, so only you can decide what the best way to carry is. Good luck.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

One other disadvantage of cross-draw is that it is very easy to inadvertently display your gun -- the butt of the gun is very close to your midline, so it doesn't take much of an opening of your coat for the gun to become visible.

One advantage of cross-draw is that it is easier to draw from cross-draw while seated in a car.

For me, the drawbacks of cross-draw far outweigh its advantages. YMMV.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    IMHO -With the right Gun , proper clothing , and Holster,
    NO other method of Concealed Carry is more effective than
    Pocket Carry (strong side of course).

While this method Does place limits on the size and weight of
    your weapon, it provides Excellent concealment and retention ,
    and requires minimal training in presentation.

Naturally , form fitting clothing is not suggested with this or any concealment method.

It also works for warm AND cold weather , as you can switch between pant or jacket/coat pocket.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links