Hatfield & McCoy Trails

Hatfield & McCoy Trails

This is a discussion on Hatfield & McCoy Trails within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went for the first time last year for spring break and absolutely loved it. Highly recommend it for anyone into ATV riding and we are ...

Thread: Hatfield & McCoy Trails

VIP Member

Hatfield & McCoy Trails

Went for the first time last year for spring break and absolutely loved it. Highly recommend it for anyone into ATV riding and we are going back again this year.

On their website they clearly state "No Firearms", but the trailheads that we accessed were not marked. Did some research last year and again in the last week and I can't determine definitely that they are any different from any other "business". When I called them the lady on the phone told me their policy, stated that LEO were exempt, blah, blah, blah.

WVSP trooper who answered the phone didn't really know, he thought they were a quasi-government agency but didn't know for sure if the trails qualified as a no firearm zone like federal office buildings, etc... Did say that they didn't patrol the trails.

Wikipedia lists the Hatfield McCoy trails as being managed by a Regional Recreation Authority.

Last year when we went I just put a Glock in the rack bag when we rode. No signs posted at the trailhead that we accessed, didn't see a ranger in four days of riding. Did see a bear about 50 yards off a trail on the last day.

The guy who we rented the house from was great and he actually asked me when we checked in if I brought a gun with me. At first I thought he was going to be an anti, but then he proceeded to tell me that the town we were staying in had no police force and that the WVSP were probably half an hour away at best so we were pretty much on our own. He didn't know the legalities of carrying while riding the trails either.

After all this I'm thinking it's just like any other business and if there are signs at other trailheads that they could ask us to leave as gunbuster signs in WV don't have the force of law. Of course if you get stopped by a ranger 10 miles or so in, it's pretty tough to immediately leave the premises.

So my question is, anyone got the real skinny?

Love that trail system. Planning on running my Rincon 680 and OutlanderMax on those trails again this summer.

Never checked into the firearms rules for the system. Interested in what others more familiar may chime in.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    We stayed (and are staying again) at Sam's Guest House in Northfork.

Quarter mile up the road and you have access to Indian Ridge and Pinnacle Creek. Pocahontas is a three mile ride via connector trail from Indian Ridge.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links