Where do you aim?

Where do you aim?

This is a discussion on Where do you aim? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching Ayoob's Shoot to Live video tonight and the interviewer asked why so many people are shot in the hand. Then it hit ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Where do you aim?

Where do you aim?

I was watching Ayoob's Shoot to Live video tonight and the interviewer asked why so many people are shot in the hand.
    Then it hit me. When we bring up our gun, our arms are just above our center of mass. If the BG does the same, then we could possibly be pointing at the BG's gun.
    Is this the best place? His arms are possibly covering his center of mass if his gun is not up to his sight line.

Aiming lower could end up in a gut shot, which is not a good stopping shot. Or trying to aim higher ends with a smaller target area or a shoulder shot, which won't stop him either.

Do we then aim center of mass and hope our first shot hits the arms and hopefully out of the way, or, like on TV shoot out his knees or pelvis.

I am still trying to get all my shots to be in the center of mass +/- 5" trying to think in a split second of alternative targets is more than I have practiced for yet.

So, where do you aim? with your firearm that is.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Distinguished Member
    belt buckle.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    I was watching Ayoob's Shoot to Live video tonight and the interviewer asked why so many people are shot in the hand.
    Then it hit me. When we bring up our gun, our arms are just above our center of mass. If the BG does the same, then we could possibly be pointing at the BG's gun.
    Is this the best place? His arms are possibly covering his center of mass if his gun is not up to his sight line.

Aiming lower could end up in a gut shot, which is not a good stopping shot. Or trying to aim higher ends with a smaller target area or a shoulder shot, which won't stop him either.

Do we then aim center of mass and hope our first shot hits the arms and hopefully out of the way, or, like on TV shoot out his knees or pelvis.

I am still trying to get all my shots to be in the center of mass +/- 5" trying to think in a split second of alternative targets is more than I have practiced for yet.

Center mass, always.

or, like on TV shoot out his knees or pelvis.

Seriously?
    ShooterGranny and mano3 like this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Between the armpits.
    Pinot, Eric357, DZUS and 4 others like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    If your shots are +/-5" from where you aim, don't even consider aiming for pelvis or knees. You don't have that much extra room in those areas.

As advised: AIM FOR CENTER MASS
    Eric357 and ETXhiker like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    I practice to hit the in the center of the triangle having a base traversing just below the nipples and an apex below the neck. Cardiovascular triangle or something like that...partially inclusive of the COM...

Regardless, whether its COM or the triangle or whatever one calls it, should I ever be in a situation where I need to use my gun I doubt I will have the presence of mind to calculate alternatives - it will be muscle memory. I won't get fancy, as I am quite sure I will not have the required motor skill and mental ability to pull off aimed, calculated shots.

I have never considered the question you pose, but now that I have I do not think I would do anything different.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    The image the OP describes reminds me of this classic target:

Aside: Is this bad guy wearing a velvet jogging suit?
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

The sheriff Lobo target.

PEF, you have one of my two favorite avatars on the DB.
    PEF likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    This is another example of why you should carry a service caliber that will reliably penetrate. BG's don't always hold still and give a frontal silhouette. You want a round with the mass and velocity to get through arms, clothing, etc. to the off switch.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

This is the image I was thinking about. First shot is going to hit his left hand, second shot what's behind that left hand.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Distinguished Member
    Well, if the target is right handed, I am aiming for the medial lateral area of the right knee so as to debilitate the assailants strong side...

Na, April Fool - I am COM just like everyone else!
    tdave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Right in the glockenspiel. a 2-3 round spread in that center mass is always a best practice.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

2 to COM, 2 to the head.
    mano3 likes this.

VIP Member
    This is the image I was thinking about. First shot is going to hit his left hand, second shot what's behind that left hand.
    I'm going for one he is looking at me with.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Unleses I only have a under 32 or I know he might have kelvar on I am aiming for center of mass and keep frining till the threat is stopted ..

I am not good enough to say I always go for Mozambique
    tdave and mano3 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links