Less ammo, less gun, less playing hero

This is a discussion on Less ammo, less gun, less playing hero within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may come across as controversial but a thought popped into my head after reading all the recurring "what would you do" and "how many ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree369Likes

Thread: Less ammo, less gun, less playing hero

This may come across as controversial but a thought popped into my head after reading all the recurring "what would you do" and "how many guns do you carry" threads.

If you only carried a 5 shot snubby with no reloads, you would be less likely to play hero and try to save the world, and instead focus on self preservation and self defense. After all, you only have 5 shots. The only behind you'll be trying to save is your own.

This coming from a guy who carries high cap Glocks almost exclusively. But I also sometimes carry a snubby.

I've found myself a lot less confident with only a snubby in my pocket and a lot more cautious about where I go and what I do. With a Glock, I am very confident of coming out on top of any situation but sometimes I wonder if that confidence will work against me someday.

A guy with multiple guns and hi capacity may choose to intervene is a bank robbery or grocery store stick up. But the guy with only 5 shots may be very reluctant to intervene unless and until his life is directly being threatened.

Thoughts welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the same whether I am carrying only a 9mm pocket BUG or I add my Glock G20 SF and two spare magazines. Guns are like four-wheel drive. They are there to get you out of trouble, not further into trouble.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Preservation of self and family is my only purpose for carrying. I have zero desire to play hero or intervene unless my life or that of my family is in immediate danger. I could be carrying 100 rounds and this would still be my state of mind 100% of the time.

I do think you bring up a valid point though. I could see how one would be less likely to intervene or get involved in a particular situation with limited resources.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I am the same whether I am carrying only a 9mm pocket BUG or I add my Glock G20 SF and two spare magazines. Guns are like four-wheel drive. They are there to get you out of trouble, not further into trouble.
    Well said.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.

Has nothing to do with the firearm/s.....It's the person behind the firearm.

VIP Member
    No problems with a 5 shot snub and the one speed loader. I do not got looking for problems and ,surprisingly enough, they generally don't look for me .
    Nothing heroic, just saving la familia
    DetChris, denclaste and tdave like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I see a lot of good with your plan.

1. A 5-6 shot revolver will always be carried
    2. It can be "pocket deployed", meaning you have 'the drop' on any BG
    3. I'd guess 99.99% of SD situations that involve a gun can be 'solved' with less than 5 rounds, if you add the "3 S" rule to your behavior
    4. A revolver is more reliable than a SA - no mags to break
    5. In general, a 5-6 shot revolver, by itself, would be seen a purely defensive - you don't go hunting or looking for trouble with that armament.
    6. In other situations the revolver could be moved to a backup role. Just having it is a plus, adds options and flexibility to your game plan
    7. It's easy to pass off (from backup) to a partner

I like it.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    No matter how many guns I carry or how much ammo, the last thing I am going to do is play hero. If I don't feel my life is in danger I'm not pulling a gun out. If I am somewere and it gets robed they have the same option to carry as I do. I carry to protect me and mine. If I think pepper spray may work I will try that befor I pull a gun. I feel my gun is a last resort.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limacharlie View Post
    i am the same whether i am carrying only a 9mm pocket bug or i add my glock g20 sf and two spare magazines. Guns are like four-wheel drive. They are there to get you out of trouble, not further into trouble.
    exactly!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

There is a certain level of provocation that each man required to incline him to fight..some require more provocation that others. I do not think that the numbers of bullets in your pocket has much to do with it. The idea that a man with a 5 shot revolver wont fight 6 badguys based purely on [round count] doesnt really reflect or take into account that nature of the man himself. Fighting or the willingness to fight is not always a simple math equation. Principle, moral code, values, right and wrong have very different values from person to person.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Distinguished Member
    As many have stated, I don't carry to be a hero. I don't want to be a hero. I carry either a 5 shot revolver or an auto with 7 shot capacity. The gun is there to protect my loved ones and me. If I don't know you, sorry, but you're on your own. Sounds really bad when put that way but to quote Rick from Casablanca, "I stick my neck out for nobody". If I see a crime in commission, I'll try to be the best witness for the prosecution I can be. If there are no direct threats towards me or mine, my weapon will stay put.
    gatorbait51, hdhnict and DetChris like this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement
    NRA Member

For the most part, using the every day carry scenario, I don't employ the more firepower I have, the darker the alley I go thing. To me it's strictly a tool to increase my odds of survival as I carry on with life, going along with my business. I actually don't picture a difference in carry piece determining my go / no go decision to engage either. This doesn't say that capacity won't influence the outcome of some long, drawn out encounter that found me while minding my own business. But higher capacity or bigger gun certainly doesn't influence me to do something or go some place that I normally wouldn't.
    gatorbait51, msgt/ret and OPFOR like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

My ability to dish up round count varies with what I'm carrying, sure. But frankly there are numerous factors to a violent fight brought to our doorstep that don't vary by rounds. I'm equally confident of my prevailing in most situations, but it has little to do with round count per se.

Good reminder, though, about the risks of feeling full of ourselves based on what we're carrying. If our confidence is changing that much, it might well be changing the degree to which we're allowing ourselves to get into situations we'd better be well away from.
    mprp, gatorbait51, OPFOR and 3 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Something to think about. I say I am to old to play hero. We all have a threshold we abide by. It all goes out the window if a child, elderly, woman or even a dog is being abused no matter how many BG,s you will just make due with what you have, do the best you can.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    Guns are like four-wheel drive. They are there to get you out of trouble, not further into trouble.
    If only you knew how many times I've gotten stuck in a 4-wheel drive, going places I'd never attempt in a 2-wheel drive. The 2-wheeler says, "Don't even think about it."

That applies to many facets of life. The more you think you can go--the more you will, and not always to the better. What you feel may get you out of trouble may very well be what got you into it. Bring a shovel and a chain to get yourself back out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links