Question about concealing

This is a discussion on Question about concealing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Florida. I don't carry every day, but one thing I was wondering is how concealed does my gun need to be by ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Question about concealing

I live in Florida. I don't carry every day, but one thing I was wondering is how concealed does my gun need to be by law?

I am a skinny guy, and I wear normal-tight fighting clothes. No matter what holster I get I always have some sort of bump, although not always clearly defined. I have tried some looser fitting shirts but it is still the same. The only thing I havent tried yet is a better belt which I will soon. However, I was wondering what the actual law was on this in addition to your experiences. Have you ever had a cop freak out because he saw a bump? That is what I am afraid of, nowadays its always shoot first and ask questions later like the guy at Costco.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

If a cop can tell you have a gun, you are printing and that's bad juju.

What are you trying to conceal? (brand / model of gun) More than likely it's been covered somewhere on the board.
    WannabeaCPA and Exacto like this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    A bump as you say in tx is ok. If it isn't clearly defined as a gun it fine. But that's in TX. Do a search on Florida state laws

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Quote Originally Posted by firerat View Post
    If a cop can tell you have a gun, you are printing and that's bad juju.

What are you trying to conceal? (brand / model of gun) More than likely it's been covered somewhere on the board.
    Its a ruger SP101 with a 2.25 inch barrel. It is not a big but but in my case the grip pokes through most of my shirts just a little. (IWB holster)

Quote Originally Posted by joe8512 View Post
    Its a ruger SP101 with a 2.25 inch barrel. It is not a big but but in my case the grip pokes through most of my shirts just a little. (IWB holster)
    is it just a bump? Does it look like a gun at all?

If not then you should be good.

If you are concerned, could you maybe wear slightly clothes that are a bit more loose? I had to change a lot of my wardrobe when I started carrying.
    BenGoodLuck and Navydude like this.

?..I wear normal-tight fighting clothes...
    iI you're wearing fighting clothes, you're likely gonna' have some additional LEO scrutiny whether you're armed or not. IMHO, concealed isn't a matter of fulfilling a legal threshold, it a matter of absolutely NOBODY but ME knowing it's there. Not good guys & not bad guys, NOBODY. And you're right, quality gear (like a dedicated gun belt) make your puzzle much easier to solve. BTW, welcome to the forum. We're glad to help.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I am a fit guy at 5'9 165# and have concealed a Springfield XD and XDM without wearing shirts that are two sizes too big. The key is a quality IWB holster and an even better belt. I now carry a Glock19 which is easier and more comfortable but at the 4 oclock position it is easy to conceal a lot. As far as the law, you can have a bump as long as you don't have an outline of a gun. Most people will never ever notice this but cops can. They pick up on other body language too that shows you might be carrying. However, they know there are over a million of us in the state so they won't just shoot you. Your attitude and behavior are the most important aspects of an interaction with police.

Quote Originally Posted by firerat View Post
    is it just a bump? Does it look like a gun at all?

If not then you should be good.

If you are concerned, could you maybe wear slightly clothes that are a bit more loose? I had to change a lot of my wardrobe when I started carrying.
    It depends on the shirt. During the winter its fine because I wear flannels or jackets but now as its getting spring I have not found any decent T-Shirts to conceal it with. I use this holster to conceal it. Amazon.com: Bianchi 3S Pistol Pocket Holster - Ruger Sp101 (Tan, Right Hand): Sports & Outdoors

Perhaps I just need to figure out what position it is designed to be carried in.

Distinguished Member
    Belt and holster should be of the best quality. I wear button shirts with or without a tee shiry year round, untucked,
    and have evolved from an IWB to OWB for my SP101. More comfortable in the summer.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGuy407 View Post
    I am a fit guy at 5'9 165# and have concealed a Springfield XD and XDM without wearing shirts that are two sizes too big. The key is a quality IWB holster and an even better belt. I now carry a Glock19 which is easier and more comfortable but at the 4 oclock position it is easy to conceal a lot. As far as the law, you can have a bump as long as you don't have an outline of a gun. Most people will never ever notice this but cops can. They pick up on other body language too that shows you might be carrying. However, they know there are over a million of us in the state so they won't just shoot you. Your attitude and behavior are the most important aspects of an interaction with police.
    I agree with you, I am basically your same build. I use this holster Amazon.com: Bianchi 3S Pistol Pocket Holster - Ruger Sp101 (Tan, Right Hand): Sports & Outdoors

It is very comfortable but either it sits to high and the grip shows or maybe its my belt.

I respect law enforcement a lot and I know most of them do not mean harm but my best friend's dad is a retired sheriff and has told me so many awful stories I always worry.

I agree with you, I am basically your same build. I use this holster Amazon.com: Bianchi 3S Pistol Pocket Holster - Ruger Sp101 (Tan, Right Hand): Sports & Outdoors

It is very comfortable but either it sits to high and the grip shows or maybe its my belt.

I respect law enforcement a lot and I know most of them do not mean harm but my best friend's dad is a retired sheriff and has told me so many awful stories I always worry.
    What position are you currently carrying in? Also, for your new holster you may want to consider one that allows for a little more cant. It allows it to fit to the natural curve of the body better.
    firerat and rockinglock32 like this.

I have been carrying it in the front maybe 1:00 o clock position or 2:00.

I have a pocket holster that works really well except my shirts aren't long enough to cover the entrance of my pocket so if you are looking for it you can see the grip.

Although NOT defined, in KS 100% covered = concealed.
    Raised outline of the full weapon is STILL concealed.
    Parts of holster can be seen, but weapon should be covered.
    A covered "bump" on your waistline is concealed.
    A "bulge" in your pocket, is concealed.

The grip "peeking out", could be an issue.
    Can a person (not looking down from your armpit) see enough of the the grip to tell its NOT a knife?

I have learned that lots of us take "concealed" to mean "more than 100% covered".

3Speed Holster is what I use and for a Skinny Guy the DEEP CONCEAL option would work out real well (Me I am not Skinny, so I AIWB it at 1:30-2:00.

Just a note they don't make the large Credit Card holder any longer (There is a small pocket that can hold a key or a $20 bill) and the back plate i believe only comes in Black now.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

There are laws in florida that protect against printing and accidental exposure. That being said you may want to try carrying in the 4 oclock position as compared to AIWB. I would look into a hybrid style holster like SHTF Gear or Alien gear, and are cant adjustable. They disperse the weight across the belt better. A good gun belt will help too. I feel the better you feel you conceal the more often you will carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links